Its possible! Browsing macrumors with a MacSE30..

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cluthz, Jan 7, 2005.

1. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

ok its 03:30 in the morning, so this should probably go straigth to wasteland.

but, i decided earlier this evening that i should resurect my old SE30(8mb ram/200mb hd/ethernet).
    After some hours working ive installed os 7.5.5, mac tpc(tcp/ip wouldnt work) and im actually posting this with explorer 2.1!
    Im by no means a MS fan, but ie 2.1 is the only browser i found that works well. Netscape 3 gives "me out of memory", netscape 2.0 crashes when i enter the forum.. iCab gives me a "bus error, please restart" message when i try to use it.

I was impressed how well macrumors renders on this machine, although its slow it gives me a decent looking result..

i got two MacIIsis, so im thinking that i will take the ram sticks from one of them (both has 17mb ram) and put them in this SE30, and maybe i then can run a few more apps.

i also took some pics (with my digital camera) maybe ill post them tomorrow..

//time for bed...

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

That is sooo awsum! Congrats! Yes, pics please!

3. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

4. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

5. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

An SE30?!?!?:eek: Wow, were you really bored or something?

Daniel

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I loved my SE30 up until the day I sold it...
    Wish I had it back, along with my '67 Chevelle 327
    and a few other items that I let get away from me!

Woof, Woof - Dawg

7. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

8. cluthz thread starter macrumors 68040

cluthz

Ok here's the pics:

I've turned off image-autoloading to speed up browsing a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No way!

It's stuff like this that makes this place interesting & funny, too...

I'm almost getting nostalgic looking at that little B&W screen, as long as I don't have to actually use it...

:)

11. cluthz thread starter macrumors 68040

cluthz

My brain had stopped a few hours eariler when I posted the thread, due to large amounts of coffee and lack of sleep.

The SE30 screen is actually really crappy. Especially when the machine is residing newt to my viewsonic VP series LCD...

[nostalgic]
    I remember 10-15 years ago I actually used this machine alot.. But it was never on the internet.. My first machine on the internet was a IIsi in 1994 i think, dial up on a 9600 baud modem... only a little year later I was using a PM6100 with a us robotics courier 28k, it was sooo fast..
    [/nostalgic]

I also have a portable in my closet, but think mosiac or lynx is the only browers that will run on a 68000 CPU... The HD is dead too... But the screen is actuall very good! Those old b&w LCDs are often very plesant to use..

I think my SE30 is ready to linux soon..

And for those who wonders, yeah, I've almost out of money after the holiday and my University don't opens before 17. January.. I got a lot of sparetime at the moment... :p

12. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

13. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

Congratulations, that's cool!

I was contemplating upon buying a SE/30 myself to create an awesome retro MP3 jukebox that sits nicely on top of my audio set. But I'm not sure it's possible.

Apparently, you can put any size half height scsi drive in it and I have a couple of those laying around (4,3 GB). That problem should be tackled quite easily.

It looks like they use standard 30 pin simms, and memory is expandable to 128MB. I got some 16MB simms which I could use.

I heard network interfaces for SE/30 (to transfer MP3's) are rare but with some trouble it should be possible to find one. Another possibility is an external SCSI CDROM drive, but networking is the preferred solution. It may even be possible to keep MP3's on another computer.

But sound is 8 bit stereo. Is that acceptable quality? And are there any good MP3 players for 7.5?

14. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

8-bit audio isn't good quality at all. As far as Mp3 players for 7.5, how about quicktime?

Daniel

15. cluthz thread starter macrumors 68040

cluthz

There are a few problems:

1) The 16Mhz 68030 isn't capable of playing Mp3, unless you ecode them as MONO 64kbit, maybe lower.

2) The sound output is mono and 8 bit is low quality...

16. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

you might consider iCab

You have to admit, getting a browser less than 8-10 years would be a step up. I have no idea how well the 68k version of iCab works but a few months back I was stuck on a 5400 running os 8.something and I downloaded iCab when I got too frustrated with the geriatric version of IE I was stuck with. It wasn't perfect but it worked a lot better.

http://icab.de/

17. cluthz thread starter macrumors 68040

cluthz

It crashed all the time on it... I guess developement for b&w macs with 512x384 screens ended a few years ago :p

18. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

No, really? You're kidding me.

Daniel :p

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

20. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think they should really keep going with that stuff...especially with programs like final cut pro and photoshop...'twould be cool, eh? ;)

21. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

MP3 playback does not work on the little fella...

I have a maxed out SE/30 myself and Mp3 playback is choppy as hell even though I have 128MB ram and a 9GB HD...

I planned on encoding all Kraftwerk albums as MP3s and putting 'em on the HD, but you need at least a 68040 to play Mp3s with MpegDec

so I just ripped them as AIFFs... no problem since I have the space ;)

vSpacken

22. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

Too bad. Would have been cool though.

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What superb taste you have!
    :D

Electric Cafe & The Mix as well?

24. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

especially Electrick Cafe... "Boing-Bumm-Tschak/Musique Nonstop" is the first track that got me into the "Alex Reece 2-Step"-beat... I think it's kind of proto-D&B

and I like that it sounds so digital (in contrast to the fat analogue sound of Computerwelt or TEE.) The Mix..? some tracks are nice (Radioactivity), some are not (Homecomputer) :(

I really like TDF Soundtracks and The Bartos solo stuff though... Bartos should return!
    vSpacken

25. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

There is a version of Mozilla that some guy wrote to run on OS 8.5/6. It is Mozilla 1.4, well, a subset of that, but flash/shockwave/etc installers all notice it as Mozilla and allow you to install it. They work, too. I've posted once or twice from that machine. Its a tad bit slow, but it works. Better than IE. It is, however, PPC only...

That is really neat. But remember that an SE/30 needs an enabler to use more than 8 MB of RAM, because it isn't 32-bit 'clean' but rather 32-bit 'dirty' which means that there is a combination of 24 bit and 32 bit parts working together. I'd bet it would be pretty cool, though, to get it to work...