It's sad what kids are doing these days

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by virividox, Feb 6, 2004.

1. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

Jul 16, 2002
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I have no idea how to respond except that's pretty messed up.

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    That's just not right - and it makes you wonder where they got the idea from.....sad, sad, sad....:(

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    wow...that truly is messed up...

I recall having sexual urges at that young an age, but I cannot comprehend what would prompt thoughts for actions such as that. :(
  5. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    Could'nt they just play doctor like evryone else?

Geez. I hate bullies but these are of a kind even worst.
  6. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    11 and 12? girls still had coodies at that age didn't they?? i mean seriously, that is just messed up beyond compare. wow, i am in shock from reading that. what on EARTH was wrong with those kids????
  7. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

My daughter is 7 and has been taking karate since she was 3. Girls gotta protect themselves these days. Seriously protect themselves...
  8. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    That is trully a very sad situation. That was the fartherest thing on my mind at that age. I think that the idea put into these two boys mind comes from the movies and MTV. Being curious about your body and that of the opposite sex is natural. The violence is learned from our current culture.

As srobert mentioned, I remember palying doctor as a child.

I pray that the girl will be able to heal from incident. Hopefully the counseling will ease the pain.
  9. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    From every where!

How many movies doun't you see on tv simulating rapes, ex. Robocop.

You hear about it all the time. Actually is so common to heard about it that any one with could think "If everybody is doing it why not me?" and they see this girl and here we go. Is as common as smoking pot, is illegal but everybody is doing it any way.

For many people to draw the line is very complicated. There is not a line any more actually in must of the cases.

Is like in some places of Spain (a friend just told me), if you are not gay you are the weird one.
  10. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Not to pick on you wdlove, but I wonder what the state of these boys home life was like. Role models who don't discourage this behavior would seem much more likely to have played a role here. Not that some of the cultural garbage people see can't be a contributing factor as well, but responsibility begins at home.
  11. Dros macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2003
    I would hazard a guess that those boys were themselves abused. Nothing like violence to beget more violence.
  12. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    Bingo. I don't know what their home life must be like, but kids learn by imitation.

This is seriously disturbing. You get this, coupled with the Columbine shootings, and you can't help but wonder if it's even right to bring in children to such a messed up world.

Just sad.
  13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    That's one of many things on the news here in Floriduh, unfortunately. Wild, stupid things happen far too often here.

As with everything else, everyone is special and no one is responsible for their actions. It's always someone else's fault. I hope the rest of the world isn't like this.

I've been here in central Floriduh since January 1997 and I'm still amazed that the police don't take a more active role in crime prevention. e.g., they advertise when they're going to stop traffic violators along a certain section of road rather than doing even a little something every day.

[EDIT]Sorry, but I'm furious over this constant lack of responsibility. I know I sound harsh--that shouldn't be a shock to anyone.[/EDIT]
  14. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    what is sad, is instances like this are growing more and more common, back a couple years ago, and i am sure decades ago things like this rarely happened, but today its getting more and more common. Something needs to change, we cant blame it on just one factor, cuz in reality its a combination.
  15. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    I'm surprised nobody else has commented on what I considered the most disturbing part of the article:

The girl said the boys had been harassing her for "several months," according to the sheriff's department.

Ongoing harassment, left unchecked. Sums up our public school system with extraordinary accuracy.

16. insidedanshead macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002

Yeah, I think all girls, woman, ladies, etc. should take self defense classes. even a step further I think the govt. should fund such classes... girls cannot be naive, there are really dangerous guys out there who will do whatever they want
  17. insidedanshead macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Don't wrap up all public school systems into one.. this is one single school district, with one single school administration, with one single teacher.. all of whom could have failed at preventing this.. but don't say all public schools are weak at this. I know the one I attended wasn't, or maybe I just went to school with all really good people (and I doubt that).
  18. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    It was my experience that both public and private schools offered little real supervision to protect students from other students. You're right, I shouldn't have over-generalized on public schools. It's really more of a societal issue.

19. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    No problem mactastic !;)

I agree that the responsibility to behavior begins at home. When I was growing up, my parents were strict. You did not dare act up, punishment would follow. We also had neighbors and friends watching our every move. Friends and teachers were respected. We didn't have the garbage that is seen in the movies and on MTV today. It takes a parent to know what there child is watching.
  20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Yeah, a bunch of 20-year-old girls showing their midriff on TV causes preadolescents to rape people. Makes sense to me. Thank god it's not unfit parents...

21. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    It's also a sad fact that many people are victimized at home and literally come to expect being victimized. I can't help but wonder if this girl could have done more but didn't because she thought it was natural to be mistreated and/or because she didn't expect to get any support at home

Don't get me wrong. This is not, in any way, the girl's fault. But the sad fact is that many people are raised to expect being victimized, making it all that much easier repeat the cycle.
  22. neut macrumors 68000

Nov 27, 2001
    here (for now)
    apathetic parents can be just as bad as those who set a bad example. they need to talk to each other. parents also need to be truthful with their children. when they find out the truth they act out in defiance with their new found knowledge. these guys are taking out something they are hiding on this poor girl... and why did it take this long for someone to notice? children should not fear their parents.

23. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think we've gotten so politically correct, that it's wrong to punish kids these days like they would've 20 years ago. My parents would hit me when I did something wrong. I've had to sit in the corner before. Heck, I hated them for it all those years, and I thank them for it now. It wasn't abuse, it was just parenting. Kids these days get away with all kinds of things that I can't even imagine doing... It's like that woman who beat her kid in the parking lot, and it was caught on camera, sure it was probably overkill, but that kid probably called her mom a bitch or something, and had gotten used to getting away with that type of stuff. Parents these days need to take responsibility for what their kids do. Don't give me this "they make their own decisions" crap. Until they turn 18, or as long as the parents are supporting them, that kid is under their parent's supervision.

Your child is not your friend. Your child is your child. They are supposed to love you until about 6, and then they should start to hate you more and more, because you tell them what they can and can not do. You teach them what's wrong and what's right. By 13 or 14, they will probably hate your guts, but you've got to understand that your job is to be a parent, and raise your kids properly. And if you do a good job, and raise a kid with some sense, they will let you know when they grow up, and live without you, that what you did was good, because they will realize that the majority of the people his age weren't raised properly, and several of them have some serious issues. Parenting isn't an easy task, and although I'm no parent, and I don't plan on it anytime soon, I'm sure the parents on these boards will agree that it's no easy task. Parenting is a 24/7 job until the day they graduate from high school. The thing that I feel that most parents these days don't get is that their children, will carry on their legacy when they pass on. When a parent raises children that they can be proud of when they are no longer under their supervision, then their parenting has been a success.

What these kids did probably happened because their parents didn't raise them properly, if they've done anything at all. This leaves the kids to learn their moral values on their own in movies, at school, and on TV, and I'll say that neither of the three have many redeeming morals acceptable to me. I'm no perfect child, but I'm smart enough to know where not to get my moral values from (like mtv, hollywood (for the most part), and the crazy, partying college students around me...)

An excellent example, a kid sees a singer expose another singer's breast. That kid then thinks, if he can do it, and not get in trouble, then so can I. The kid then thinks that it's cool and funny to expose girl's breasts, because he hasn't been taught otherwise. He then tries more lewd sexual activities, until he gets to the point where he will sexually abuse girls in the bathroom at school...
  24. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Mar 13, 2002
    Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I beleive the problems with kids these days is more the parents than anything else. (Now praying even harder that my kids are relatively well behaved growing up.)
    My wife works in daycare, and my children have attended daycare so I know a lot of the kids there. Over the past 3 years, I have seen some of these kids go from the sweetest little kids and grow into kids that make you think "he/she's gonna be pregnant, in jail, or dead before 18. Don't get me wrong, I love the kids. I just hope that somebody wakes up and starts being a better role model for them. A few examples, no names:

Kids A&B- They are sisters. One mother, two fathers. Kid B's father has a wife, so, as she told me, "My momma's just my daddy's girlfriend. He's already got a wife." She told me this when she was just three, and she said it as if it were perfectly normal and acceptable. When A&B's mother picks them up, they go straight to some friend's home to party. They don't leave until 11 or 12 at night, even on school nights. The kids get to sit and watch as the adults drink, curse, and fight. These two kids are becoming major problems lately.

Kids C,D,E- Three kids, one Mom, three fathers. The mother's boyfriend, who isn't the father of any of the three, was charged with physically abusing one of the kids. The mother was told that she had to kick her boyfriend out in order to keep her kids. She instead sent the kids to live with their grandmother so she could keep her boyfriend. Of the kid's fathers, 2 are in prison and one was shot and killed last summer. And of course, these kids get worse as they age.

Kids FGH (I is on the way)- Single mother, does work and pay her bills. She drops the kids off as soon as the daycare opens, and doesn't pick them up until closing time. (14 hours in daycare or school) At that time, it is time for her to go to work, so they are taken to her parent's house. She spends weekend "clubbing". She doesn't abuse or allow her kids to be abused, but she doesn't want anything to do with them. She also blames them for all of her problems. She constantly says things like "I'm gonna lose my job because of you kids" and "why don't you all quit f---ing everything up for me." All they want is a little attention.
    It really makes me sick the way people who don't want to grow up just keep on reproducing and messing their kids up. And I do truly beleive they are messing their kids up. I have known all of these kids for around 3 years. As I stopped in to visit my kids in daycare they would come and talk to me. They WERE normal, happy children. As they get older, they start to copy Mommy & Daddy. Fighting, stealing, "sexual" behavior, really bad mouths. I'm not saying kids with a stable life are perfect, but these kids are spiraling out of control at a very young age. They range from 6-12 years old. When most that young have a problem, a good parent can help with it. These parents offer advise ranging from "Shut the **** up. GEt out of my face" to "kick his ass." I find it very sad that these kids are growing up to think that this is all normal and acceptable behavior. I'm afraid some of them will be the ones sitting in jail still swearing to god that they didn't do anything wrong, and actually beleiving what they are saying.

I rambled, sorry.
  25. coolsoldier macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2003
    The 909
    At 11 or 12 years old, whether the parents taught their kids about morality and socially acceptable behavior is irrelevant. The issue at hand is whether they've learned to care about morality. Everybody, an I mean everybody knows by that age that it's not right to rape somebody. The problem, of course, is that at 12 years old, kids are generally seeking socially unacceptable behavior.

Seriously, watch almost any 12 year old -- they look to see what things piss adults off. If the parents/teachers/any-other-authority made a big taboo about sex, it's going to be more attractive to them because that's the way preadolescents are. If the kids don't care about morality for themselves, they are going to do immoral things, not because they don't know they are wrong, but just because they don't care.

Basically, things like this happen because we try to teach kids morality instead of teaching them to care about morality.

Or at least that's what I would say if I knew what I was talking about.