It's saturday, is anyone else at work?

Discussion in 'Community' started by teabgs, Jul 20, 2002.

1. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I don't have too much to do right now but I'm at work until 6pm EST. Just wondering if I'm the only one that has to work saturdays here.

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

if you're at the animation lab... i question how "work" like that is... but word.

i generally work on the weekends on my editing project just cause i put it off til then... or i'm working during the week and don't get to it til the weekend. but there's still plenty of time for golf and beer.

and body shots

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, I'm not at work, but I have work to do. And I'm getting soo much done too, especially since I'm posting at MacRumors.....

4. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

man I love not working, I'm still in school but I have to go back on tuesday my holidays are up :D, oh well

5. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

Since its for the summer High school workshop theres a lot more work involved then during the year....

I have to help them with a lot more stuff and supervise the entire time they're here. If they get lunch, I have to go with them....

Its not like its very hard or anything and Im not complaining, But I still am here and Have to be until 6...

I have some work to do on Maya later anyway as soon as I can tear myself away from Macrumors...

6. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you get to hold the kids' hands??/ ha get to.

what work are you doing with maya?

i just got maya working myself.......

7. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

No, I dont hold their hands but I have to be there to supervise all the time. Since I'm the only one in today I have to do all the work. So, I have to give them equipment, help them with the computers/lunchboxes/switchers, etc. I also have to help them with their animation (feedback on how theyre doing) answer any questions they have about anything (mostly). Its pretty fun, but the class is pretty fast paced. They do the intro class in 4 weeks. They're already starting on the Lip Sync project...and we're going on the 3rd week on monday.

With Maya I want to try and figure out how to make trees, lanscapes, grass etc with the paint effects tool. I know there's a way, I just havent learned how to do it yet. Hopefully by the end of the day I'l know how.

8. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I am at work...

Though I'd much rather be riding my Harley. It's such a perfect day today in Dallas. But, that is secondary now, since I have a Monday deadline - so here I am wasting time on Macrumors. :cool:

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ahh yes. paint effects. haven't used that much. (at all)

there's a lip sync project in intro? that was our last project in action 2....

who's teaching it? sheridan?

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

what's the lip sync project - I don't use maya, lightwave is my prefered platform, as I think you know. It uses things called endomorphs that you basically shape in the modeler, assign and then call back in the animation window. If you assign all the basic mouth endomorphs that correspond to speaking - you can get away with using only a small number for forming most sounds - you put the voice track in and go through and pick the right endomorph for the current sound. Not too difficult, just takes a while to set up. And if you want to do facial expressions, its a bit trickier.

D

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

whatever the lip sync project is, it's not in 3D. it's just an intro to animation class for high school students... traditional animation style

at least unless something's changed since the past couple years.

in maya i think you'd just set up presets for each mouth shape. and you can do morphs and whatnot between them... though i haven't done it yet....

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ah, well, the presets in maya seem to be the same thing as endomorphs in lightwave. I've used them a bit, and even in non character animation items. Its a great tool to do controled deformation with.

D

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

basically what you do is you add an attribute to the face. then you set it so that at 0 value, it's normal. and then when the attribute, let's say "smile" is at whatever value is "full"... like 10 or something, then it's a full smile. anywhere in between is morphed. and there's ways to control the morph but as i said, i've only seen people (teachers) do it, not done it myself

what type of "controlled morphing" have you done?

i think 3d morphing from one shape to another, even simple things like letters or a box to a ball are someof the coolest things....

then again, i also love metaballs type effects.... word

14. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I'm not at work. Although, I do feel compelled to always come on check up on these forums. I might as well make this my start page instead of mac.com

15. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    no work today

ahhhh, a nice leisurely saturday. took the little one to the farmer's market and stocked up on all the goodies. then the sister-in-law came over to babysit and the wife and i went to a relaxed breakfast spot. then did a little shopping....man, a wonderful saturday morning.

sorry for those of you who have to work today...

16. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I was at work for 6 hours today. It was tough. I was playing Halo on our XBox with a friend. ;-)

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've played around with faces - and lightwave lets you use sliders, so its pretty damn easy, again once you set it up.

But the best example I have of a controlled morph that doesn't involve character animation would be using it to 'dig' a hole. I had maybe 12 presets/endomorphs and could make the hole get deeper by going to the next one. I added the extra steps, you really only need 2 - beginning and end - to add a bit of 'noise' to the digging. It worked ok. I didn't have much time at all and had to get it done in a few days - I'll dig around and find the animation and post it.

D

18. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

19. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

I actually worked today... I don't use to work in the weekends, but I did today.

I made a homepage for a customer. Take a look and tell me what you think about the design (it's in norwegian, and some of the pages don't have any text):

Hogne Moe's homepage

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

nice and clean and simple - I like it - even if I don't understand what it means.

only things that I might suggest are that the roll overs are maybe too subtle, and just by looking at the menu system you don't know what page your on. These aren't big things. Over all it looks good.

What/who is hogne moe?

D

21. teabgs thread starter macrumors 68030

teabgs

hehehe.....thanks to a fire at the power station I got to leave work 5 hours early :D

Though I had no internet service because of it until now :(

I also lost the files I was working on in maya....I hadnt saved....STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!

Anyway the lipsync is Drawn, or clay, or done almost all in After Effects. The Maya stuff wasnt for this...was my own stuff Duke....;)

I did the Lip Sync when I took intro Jello...Sheridan likes to push people to their limits....which in the long run is better for them.

These kids are very talented, but they lost a LOT of time today with the power going out...especially since they showed up an hour and a half late this morning. Hopefully they'll work fast tomorrow....but I wont be there, thank god!

22. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

Thanks for the feedback, Duke! I think I'll do something about the roll overs, but the menu system tells you where you are all the time. So does the headlines and pagenames...

Hogne Moe is a norwegian composer, author and artist who writes a lot of music and books mostly for kids. He has cooperated a lot with my father (who is a musician) the last 15 years, and all his records are actually made and mixed in our studio. I know him very well and we play a lot together. Mostly jazz... ;)

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, you know what, it was so subtle I didn't even notice the break in the line on the right side of the menubar indicating the current page. I guess that's what I was getting at.

Again, no worries, the site works well.

D

24. awrc macrumors regular

I'm not at work any day right now, unfortunately. It goes something like this:

1. "I quit!"
    2. "Hmm, I'll go on a short vacation to unwind, should be able to find a job within a few weeks of getting back."
    3. <goes on vacation>
    4. <falls down the side of a scenic canyon and smashes left leg into little bits>
    5. "Hmm, since I'm not going to be able to walk for another ten weeks or so maybe getting a new job is going to take a little longer..."

Still, it's giving me a chance to freshen up all those job skills that stagnated and ossified during my last job and crutches help build up those biceps...

Al

25. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ouch, now that sucks, sorry to hear you took yourself out.

what sort of stuff do you do? can you work at a computer even with the bumb leg, or is it a little more complicated - was the break bad enough to require pins to anchor the bones?