Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
Oh finally, hehehe. I use it and love it, nice to see it at the top. But I am surprised to see textwrangler lower then where I thought it would be.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
I think I'll be sticking to TextEdit for a while; its simplicity keeps me coming back to it despite having several other options available.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Oh finally, hehehe. I use it and love it, nice to see it at the top. But I am surprised to see textwrangler lower then where I thought it would be.

That's probably because fewer people know about TextWrangler but they've heard of BBEdit though it's expensive.

I'm disappointed that TextMate doesn't work properly for Japanese, which likely means that he didn't use ATSUI but it's still a bargain since you can easily use templates for your code.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
That's probably because fewer people know about TextWrangler but they've heard of BBEdit though it's expensive.
I've always liked TextWrangler. I've never tried Textmate. Maybe I'll give it a go. I think the results are biased though...

Nuc

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I've always liked TextWrangler. I've never tried Textmate. Maybe I'll give it a go. I think the results are biased though...

Nuc

I think you'll find that, if you're working in a western language, TextMate is better but I still use TextWrangler for Japanese, even with an add-on for TextMate.

Obviously, it's the developer's only product so he's going to put more effort into it. TextWrangler is a give away and therefore, will be repaired as needed but nothing more.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I haven't tried all of the text editors in the list so I can't comment based on the competition, but TextMate is definitely #1 for me. I use it for everything.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Oh good, we can just refer people who ask “what is the best text editor for the Mac” to one handy list.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
Open Office

Open Office. it does everything i could possibly need.

okay, it's cumbersome. and it has to work under X11. and it works a lot like the old WordStar i used to use in the 80's, but that's what i like about it.

and it does everything AppleWorks or Office does, plus a lot more, like use spreadsheets and other tools, in formats for word, excell, wordperfect, etc.

however, for just a quick note, i do use textedit for it's simplicity.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
I wouldn't put OpenOffice in the same class of applications as TextMate/Text Wrangler.

I'm sure if you tried to write some java, c++, php or ruby in Open Office you may not find it as suitable.

orangemacapple

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2006
Raleigh
I wouldn't put OpenOffice in the same class of applications as TextMate/Text Wrangler.

I'm sure if you tried to write some java, c++, php or ruby in Open Office you may not find it as suitable.

true. textMate/TextWrangler are quick little apps. most of my stuff is prose, spreadsheets, etc. mostly what you would usually use a suite for.

i did want others to know there is an (free) option out there instead of the large commercial suites or even mariner.

and i'm partial to the underdog

radiantm3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2005
San Jose, CA
Open Office. it does everything i could possibly need.

okay, it's cumbersome. and it has to work under X11. and it works a lot like the old WordStar i used to use in the 80's, but that's what i like about it.

and it does everything AppleWorks or Office does, plus a lot more, like use spreadsheets and other tools, in formats for word, excell, wordperfect, etc.

however, for just a quick note, i do use textedit for it's simplicity.

We're not talking about rich text editors. We are talking about plain text editors used for developing websites. :) I thought I posted this in the right forum. :cool:

Epicurus

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN
No contest...
I got TextMate via MacHeist and love it.

Same here. I'm slowly weening myself off TextWrangler for my code related work. As for straight text (non code), TextEdit has been my go to app for a long time. Lately I'm starting to rely on WriteRoom for its full screen editing. TextMate, however is probably the coolest all around text editor I've ever used, and I'm just barely getting into its real customizability!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.