It's settled. Textmate is the best text editor!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by radiantm3, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Oh finally, hehehe. I use it and love it, nice to see it at the top. But I am surprised to see textwrangler lower then where I thought it would be.

2. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I think I'll be sticking to TextEdit for a while; its simplicity keeps me coming back to it despite having several other options available.

3. Butters macrumors 6502

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's probably because fewer people know about TextWrangler but they've heard of BBEdit though it's expensive.

I'm disappointed that TextMate doesn't work properly for Japanese, which likely means that he didn't use ATSUI but it's still a bargain since you can easily use templates for your code.

5. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

6. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I've always liked TextWrangler. I've never tried Textmate. Maybe I'll give it a go. I think the results are biased though...

Nuc

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I think you'll find that, if you're working in a western language, TextMate is better but I still use TextWrangler for Japanese, even with an add-on for TextMate.

Obviously, it's the developer's only product so he's going to put more effort into it. TextWrangler is a give away and therefore, will be repaired as needed but nothing more.

8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I haven't tried all of the text editors in the list so I can't comment based on the competition, but TextMate is definitely #1 for me. I use it for everything.

9. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Oh good, we can just refer people who ask “what is the best text editor for the Mac” to one handy list.

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

11. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Huh, I hadn't realized there were both upper and lowercase versions of OpenOffice. :D

12. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

Open Office

Open Office. it does everything i could possibly need.

okay, it's cumbersome. and it has to work under X11. and it works a lot like the old WordStar i used to use in the 80's, but that's what i like about it.

and it does everything AppleWorks or Office does, plus a lot more, like use spreadsheets and other tools, in formats for word, excell, wordperfect, etc.

however, for just a quick note, i do use textedit for it's simplicity.

13. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

I wouldn't put OpenOffice in the same class of applications as TextMate/Text Wrangler.

I'm sure if you tried to write some java, c++, php or ruby in Open Office you may not find it as suitable.

14. orangemacapple macrumors 6502

true. textMate/TextWrangler are quick little apps. most of my stuff is prose, spreadsheets, etc. mostly what you would usually use a suite for.

i did want others to know there is an (free) option out there instead of the large commercial suites or even mariner.

and i'm partial to the underdog

15. applelabs macrumors member

No contest...
    I got TextMate via MacHeist and love it.

16. radiantm3 thread starter macrumors 65816

radiantm3

We're not talking about rich text editors. We are talking about plain text editors used for developing websites. :) I thought I posted this in the right forum. :cool:

17. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

Same here. I'm slowly weening myself off TextWrangler for my code related work. As for straight text (non code), TextEdit has been my go to app for a long time. Lately I'm starting to rely on WriteRoom for its full screen editing. TextMate, however is probably the coolest all around text editor I've ever used, and I'm just barely getting into its real customizability!