'It's Showtime': September 12th, 2006

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Sep 5, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Several news outlets are confirming the media event that Apple is holding on September 12th 2006.

More details of the event were released today when Apple sent out invitations to select media members. The invites says "It's Showtime":

[​IMG]
    First word of the event leaked out on August 31st, with multiple reports of a media event to be held in San Francisco. Today, the digital invitations were sent out confirming the event and setting a time and place.

The announcements will take place at 10:00am Pacific time at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in downtown San Francisco. Based on the title of the invitation, it appears likely that the long rumored Movie Store will finally be released.

Businessweek recently provided some early details of the service, which they claim to offer movies from $9.99-$14.99. Meanwhile, Appleinsider feels a new video streaming device will also be introduced. Meanwhile, Core 2 Duo iMacs and new iPods are also expected.

If you have access to this media event, please contact us.

Article Link: 'It's Showtime': September 12th, 2006

2. macrumors P6

twoodcc

wow. well this confirms it then. man this is gonna be a long week of waiting

3. macrumors 6502

My nano is already on eBay awaiting a nice metal clad 8GB version, I hope they do an andonised black one though to match my other gadgets.

4. Moderator

Mitthrawnuruodo

Staff Member

Yeah... yeah... Movies for the American audience...

...I don't even get TV shows... :(

5. macrumors 68000

Josias

Extreme! I really hope for hi-quality movies, and not just 640x480. A new line-up would be nice too. :D

6. macrumors 65816

yoda13

I hope for good quality movies too. What is realistically the limit on quality that they can implement and still have it be manageable with a normal average speed broadband connection? Just curious.

7. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yerba Buena's going to be a busy place on Tuesday...the American Chemical Society is having a meeting at the Moscone Center next week with over 12,000 people in attendance. I'll have a friend in town for the meeting, so maybe I'll snoop around YPCFA and see what's up. Maybe the walls are thin enough that I can just put my ear up to them...

8. macrumors 6502

prady16

I expect upgrades to the laptops, iMac, and Mini. Also, there is a good chance of introducing either a iPhone or a iHome.
    iTunes Movie Store is certain, although it would be interesting to note how apple goes about selling movies (like the resolution, download times, pricing etc.)

9. macrumors demi-god

Spanky Deluxe

New iMacs and Mac Minis imo. Those don't require anything changed apart from a processor swap since they're socketed. I'd give the Macbook Pros and MacBooks a while longer before we see an update.

Edit: If they don't up the quality of the movies to the base HD spec of 720p then they may as well not bother. I'd rather go and buy the DVDs. The only way I'd be tempted to purchase via iTunes would be if the quality I could get would be higher. I don't care if it takes a while to download.

10. macrumors G4

Chundles

A quick summary of the facts:

Quoted from an older thread that has been left behind:

Somebody cast doubt on the HDMI thing, I don't know - just seemed like the easiest option to get video into an iMac. You don't have to worry about all the different methods of getting TV (free to air, digital, cable) because if you have a HDMI-enabled receiver it would just plug into the back of the iMac. You'd need to use the receiver's remote to do all the channel changing but Apple could offer some sort of recording program. EyeHome could do something with it too? I'm no expert, just trying to look at a simple solution for a complicated, fragmented problem.

11. macrumors 6502

9.99? you can rent movies from Mlink or Cinemanow for 4.99 or DVR's from 3.99. Just stupid if we dont keep to buy and keep the movie for that price.

12. macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well fudge. I've been holding off on getting an Airport Express for literally a year, waiting for an AV version. I finally had to get one when I moved (no cable drop in the office at new house, so needed a wireless router) and then like 2 weeks later they release the AV model. Bastards.

Oh well, probably can't afford one anyways - seeing as the AE w/ AirTunes is still $100. Does Apple price match refurb hardware? I'm assuming the AE price will drop when they release the AV model.

Hmmm, I might be able to talk my wife into letting me get one for the theatre room if I can make it send cable TV up there too... Have to wait and see what the product actually is.

Also, $10-15 for a d/l movies is a ripoff. Unless they are going to do HD quality movies at $15, DVDs will remain a much better value. Now, HD download service, with an affordable playback mechanism, at $15 per movie they will clean up... SD though? Forget about it.

13. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Careful, Steve has them run 12,000 kv through those walls for Apple events.

AAPL is making a nice advance on this news, up about $2 this afternoon. Looks like the markets have been waiting for Apple to get into this business.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?d=t&s=AAPL

14. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

This could be either really big or really bad. Either way, I don't see it going over to well without a burn to DVD option. It also needs a settop media mac. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how everything develops. Good thing I'll be in Milwaukee on the 12th. I might want to go to Mayfair to see how everything went.

15. macrumors G5

nagromme

A start to movie downloads is for sure.

But anything else might be postponed, so we must try to remain calm :)

(It's all the OTHER rumors that interest me more. I highly doubt that iTunes movies will meet my standards at first--though I'm happy to see a step in that direction. If they're less than DVD quality they'd better be close AND very cheap. And until the selection rivals Netflix it won't see much use from me.)

Re Core 2 Duo

The iMac may get the headline (if a larger size is truly coming) but they could well update iMacs AND MacBook Pros simultaneously. Makes a good announcement that way.

16. macrumors G4

Chundles

Whatever the outcome...

The biggest "movie related" release from Apple on that day down here will probably be an exclusive music video from Bob Dylan.

Carn Apple, get your finger out and get international TV shows up and running.

17. macrumors 6502

Good move but I bet its riddled with DRM:mad:

18. macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

So this tells us as much as we already knew really, only confirms the movie service. Now the question is...is the service for streaming to your home TV via a new set top box or is this service for the iPod...or both.

I don't see how Apple can legitimately sell the service for iPod unless they are going to come out with a WS iPod. The novelty of watching video on the iPods 2" screen has worn off.

That said...glad I sold both my 4gb nano and the 2 giger I got with the Mac to School promo. A black anodized nano would be cool. Just hope they come out with some male colors. The iPod mini colors were so fraking wimpy.

19. macrumors G4

Chundles

It would have to be otherwise the studios won't agree to it.

20. macrumors regular

I agree. I'd rather buy it off Walmart for that price and convert it to iPod format, PSP format and what not. Afterall, I won't be limited to play it on 'n' number of players. Steve was right when he said few years back that movie downloads does not work. Off course, any new addition to the store will not hurt.

21. macrumors newbie

I live in Milwaukee so maybe I'll see you at Mayfar on the 12th. :)

22. Guest

iGary

I could care less about movies, especially as slow as TV shows download on busy nights.

I would like to see new pods, though, which I think would be a pretty solid bet. Been almost a year.

23. macrumors member

I myself am not too excited by this...

An overpriced movie store doesn't seem like something i would ever use.

But whatever they have in their bag of tricks for streaming may prove to be worth taking a look at.

24. macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I'm hoping for iMacs because I could care less about downloading Movies. Hell the only TV I download are the free eps. Unless you can get me 5.1 surround, DVD quality for a monthly fee that is less than Netflix... well, Netflix is still king to me. :)

25. macrumors regular

I don't usually speculate, but....

I don't usually speculate, but I find it interesting "Showtime" is capitalized. Could the downloads be part of some partnership with the cable channel? Just wild speculation on my part.

-p-