It's snowing!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lincoln, Jan 27, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

Well at last the weather forecast was right! We finally have snow in the UK (well in the East Midlands anyway). We don't get it very often so it's a big event. If it carries on at this rate I ight not be able to get too work:)

Our 3 dogs love the snow and ran riot in the garden, typically as soon as the camera came out they decided to come in except one.

I managed to get a few piccies:
    Snow Pictures

Goodnight all.

2. macrumors 65816

Happy Day! er, Night...

I lived for three years, when I was young, in the UK, in Oxon. I remember one winter (it was either 86 or 87) when it snowed a little after Christmas pretty good. There wasn't another snow storm that winter, but the depth combined with the cold kept patches of snow on the ground until early March. I remember being amazed that it could last that long.

3. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

you may get some flames from people in the states for praising snow ;)

ever had freezing rain, or sleet? that's always fun... it's best when you get about a cm of ice coating everything, then it snows a few inches... you'll never take steering for granted again.

paul

4. macrumors P6

wdlove

I happen to love snow, so no complaints from this person in the states. We are expecting 6 - 10" of snow here in Boston. It's expected to begin around midnight and to end by 12n tomorrow. Our temperature is in the 20's, so they are expecting light fluffy snow. It's the kind that accumulates fast.

5. macrumors 6502

I'm not complaining either. It's snowing another 5-7 inches right now in to tomorrow, on top of the 6 inches of snow and ice we got yesterday and the day before!! Shoveling is a pain, but there is just something about snow that makes everything seem peaceful and quiet.

6. macrumors 6502a

You can have some of our snow, i've had enough of it...

7. macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry to hear that you dislike snow. Here in Boston we've had 25." so far this season. Sady it's all gone except a dusting. How much have you had so far?

8. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yup, snowing down here too, it's 2:10am, and I have to go to Pinewood Studios tomorrow, it's well North of London and I just hope it doesn't get as bad as they say it might, the lanes around Pinewood will be impassable...:mad:

I do love snow, but only under a snowmobile, or out of the window of a particularly warm and well stocked hotel room.

9. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I wish it was going to be the wet fat clumpy snow, it's much more photogenic. On the other hand, no classes = GOOD!

10. Moderator emeritus

I love snow, I love it far away. That might explain why I'm no longer in Philly.

I thought it only snowed in England in films. Enjoy how special it is when you rarely have it. When it's there every day, you learn to hate it.

11. macrumors 68000

latergator116

Totally agree. I have to walk to scholl everyday and it is a pain in the snow.. ecspecially when the sidewalks arent shoveled. So that forces me to walk in the street where there is tons of slush and the cars spray it at you when you drive by. Snow would be great... if it were gone after two days.

12. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

LOL. People from other various states keep telling me that Minnesota is supost to be the home of cold weather and an ***load of snow. I think in the last 2 years NY has gotten more then us and has been colder. So :p Then again in the last two weeks we’ve had multiple below 0 days. I was 9 when I moved up here from Florida. I still remember swimming in the wintertime down there. LOL not anymore.

PS- Enough of this white death! Bring on Spring and PowerBook G5's!

13. macrumors 6502a

Probably about the same, I'm in eastern PA

14. Moderator emeritus

It will give you something to tell your grandchildren some day. :D

15. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I had to walk uphill both ways to school!

Well, that is if I had actually walked to school, but it would have been uphill, because I had to cross the Blackstone River.

16. macrumors 68000

latergator116

If I don't get hit by a car a die after being forced to walk into the street.:p

17. macrumors 65816

Cool. Working on any project in particular?

18. Moderator emeritus

...while you're stuck in a 4 inch pothole filled with water. :D

I'd like to be back in Philly for Christmas--even NYC would do. A little snow isn't too bad; however, one of my last memories is 24 inches on Sunday followed by 6 inches on Friday. :eek:

19. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    its only snowing lightly here.

20. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

If you think snow in England is bad...

...wait till you see what conditions are like here! We got (in layers, from bottom to top) snow, freezing rain, rain, more freezing rain, and more snow just in the past two days! Driving is a nightmare here; many of the local school districts have been closed yesterday and are closed once again today. Just overnight we picked up a good 3" of snow accumulation (some of that due to lake-effect).

21. macrumors regular

It snowed half-heartedly for 20 minutes in sunny Sarf London this morning.

This usually results in there being no train service for the remainder of the week, due to 'adverse weather conditions'.

22. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Yup, we got snow down here to! My brother (11yrs old) is very excited :)

...not looking forward to the drive have later on...:(

23. macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

It's stopped snowing here now in Durham - got only an inch or two up here.

I bet at home in Essex there was none...

24. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I am in Essex (well, not at the moment, I'm at work in London), but it is snowing in Essex :)

25. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I can't believe this. THERE'S NO ****ING SNOW IN BOSTON! :mad: :mad: :mad: