It's so typical... coldest weekend of the year and my boiler broke

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dcv, Nov 14, 2005.

1. dcv macrumors G3

So as the title says... it's been the coldest couple of days of Autumn so far... down to about 2 or 3 degrees C in London - and my boiler broke on Saturday night. It's a combi boiler so I have no hot water either. Didn't see the point in even trying to call someone out on a Sunday and i was out for much of the day anyway, so i had a rather chilly night.

Called a plumber this morning and they were supposed to arrive between 9 and 12. It's now after 1pm and they are still on their previous assignment.

I am FREEEEEEEEZING (i work from home) and i've got no plug-in heaters or anything.

Supposed to be meeting a certain person for drinks in a few hours time since it's his birthday and i haven't been able to have a shower, as no water.

where is the plumber? arrrgggggghhhh. :mad:

i'm *not* a happy bunny :( :( :(

2. iGary Guest

iGary

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

I just got an email complaining about how cold it is in London today... hope the plumber shows up soon!!

4. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Always, always happens - mine went last year at the same time, and yes today in London is bloody freezing. Hope the plumber arrives soon - it's no fun going out not having showered for a couple of days :)

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's past midnight here, and I've got every window open and both my fans on. I'll swap ya, hate the heat.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Good luck - my boiler went last year and it was going to cost £200 to fix it (with no guarantee that another part wouldn't fail) or £900 to replace it with a 3 year guarantee. However, thankfully, I got in from the airport last night and it fired up perfectly.

On the cold front, turn all your computers on with their processors on highest performance and hope they warm the place up?

Hope your plumber arrives soon. If not, nip down to local leisure centre and use their showers... or take a clothespeg for e...:p

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^Really? I'm not cold at all and I absolutely hate heat. I also get hot easily. :confused:

However, on most days.......yeah, I do get way too hot.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Get those pots on the stove to make up a luxurious sponge-bath. Lovely... :(

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's hot tonight at my place don't get much of a breeze and all of my windows face west.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

tssh you Londeners and your 'winters'.

my boiler broke in the summer once which was just as bad! didn't have a shower for 3 days in the middle of a heatwave. I tried an ice cold shower but it left my back completely numb! not good. that was 3 years ago though. and was mighty fun ;)

if you're with British Gas then just complain, hell ring up Watchdog!

but yea come up north ;) i heard Londeners go mental over the smallest snowflake and declare it a national holiday and all the traffic stops.

11. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

Well i'm sitting in front of an iMac and Thinkpad. The PowerBook is too cold to touch!!

They had better arrive soon 'cause i'm not going ANYWHERE looking like this!
    Haha i'm not *too* smelly (i hope) but my hair is utterly minging :eek:

Oh and I'm one of those people that really feels the cold. I hate this weather... :( brrrrrrrrrr

That might be an option if it were ONLY hot water that were out... but when it's freezing in all rooms, erm, no thanks!

LOL you're right. Though somehow i did actually survive three years at Manchester University :eek:

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Or you could pop around to his place for a shower. He might like that. :)

13. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

minging was my favorite bit of slang from my visit to London two weeks ago! weather was fantastic then... :D

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Don't encourage them – we don't want any more coming up here and ruining our better lifestyles... ;)

15. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Curse being at work, curse it! ;) :p

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Exactly! Although as I actually live in London my place is closer than yours :p

Honestly though it's not that cold at the moment. I've still got the windows open a little at home and the heating is not on!

17. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Must be some kind of weird localised heatwave, that or your hardy Scottish genes :p

Although I did see a guy in just a T-shirt on the way to work this morning. :eek:

18. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Ah, but you've got that tough Scottish blood to help keep you warm... ;)

DCV - if the plumber doesn't come through, then it's either Blue's saucepans on the hob or putting your hair up. A chignon can hide a thousand greasy strands...

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That sucks, but I think its better to have the heat go when its cold, than the a/c go out when its hot. You can always put on more clothes, once you're naked, that's it.

Good luck getting it fixed.

D

20. dcv thread starter macrumors G3

:eek: shocking suggestion!

there's no way you, or anyone else for that matter is seeing me in this state! (apart from the plumber if he ever arrives)

whaaaaat?!! it's very chilly in west London

i think that must be it!

i think we've ventured past greasy into extreme mankiness :eek:

ahhh i have both extremes here... i live on the top floor with just a thin (under-insulated) flat roof above me and have large single-glazed windows... summer is too hot, winter is too cold!

21. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Well I do live in East London but I'm sure the temperature cannot be all that different! According to the BBC it won't drop below 5 tonight which is perhaps a little chilly, but not cold. It's going to get to -1 on Friday night!

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Hmm... makes mental note to get the winter duvet out of the cupboard before Friday.

23. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

While I feel sorry that your have no heat/hot water, I wish it were as warm here. It's supposed to get to a high of 43F (6C) with snow on the way.

You might be able to pick up some a small electric heater. They can at least keep one room warm.

24. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Pfft!!

You should see the sydneysiders, 14 degrees maximum during the winter and you'd think that hell had frozen over, they're all out in scarves and coats and hats and gloves.

I thank god for experiencing a Canadian Rocky Mountain winter after an Australian Snowy Mountain winter cause now I can walk down the streets of Sydney in the winter in a pair of thongs, shorts, and a short-sleeved shirt. You should see the sydneysiders' eyes boggle out of their heads as I go past warm as warm and they shake like leaves.