It's the Attack of the Former Diplomats!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by numediaman, May 3, 2004.

1. numediaman macrumors 6502a

Is two times a trend?

A couple of weeks ago a group of former British diplomats sent a letter to Blair, remember?

Diplomats slam Blair on Mid-East

The diplomats tell Mr Blair he must start to influence President Bush

More than 50 former British diplomats have signed a letter to Tony Blair criticising his Middle East policy.

They urged the prime minister to start influencing America's "doomed" policy in the Middle East or stop backing it.

They had "watched with deepening concern" as Britain followed the US lead in Iraq and Israel and called for a debate in Parliament, they said.​

Now a group of 52 retired U.S. diplomats have sent a letter to Bush:

US diplomats launch Bush attack

By Jon Leyne
    BBC state department correspondent

Around 50 retired US diplomats have written to President Bush to complain about America's Middle East policy, the Reuters news agency has reported.

The letter is similar to one written by 52 two former British diplomats to the UK Prime Minister Tony Blair last week.

The former US diplomats complained that President Bush's policy is losing the US credibility, prestige and friends.

They criticised what they say is Washington's unabashed support for Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon.

They cite Mr Sharon's policy of extra-judicial assassinations and what the diplomats describe as Israel's Berlin Wall-like barrier.

The American diplomats say they were deeply concerned by Mr Bush's endorsement last month of Mr Sharon's plan to withdraw unilaterally from Gaza.

One former diplomat, who is still considering whether or not to sign the letter, said that as a result of the policy, "We're not the good guys any more."

Those in the Bush administration who do support Mr Sharon might well point out that the state department has always been a more sceptical supporter of Israel.

Mr Sharon himself has always made a point of dealing directly with the White House.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3681641.stm

A couple of points: one, these are diplomats -- how do they "attack"? Isn't this the tea and crumpets crowd? Two, don't they know Bush doesn't read?

2. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Aren't diplomats usually replaced with each administration? So if these are former diplomats, then they are most likely Clinton Administration appointees. Before I would give what they say any merit, I want to know what party denomination they are...

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I believe in most cases, Diplomats are replaced w/ each administration, although there are only so many qualified people for certain positions areas...also, if successive administrations are the same party affiliation, there might not be as much of a shake-up...
    That said, I woudn't mind knowing their affiliation either, but the fact that it is '52 retired' diplomats probably means their service spans many administrations as a group...

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i can't recall anything like this before, politics aside