It's the battle for the cellar (and the Golden Egg)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iSaint, Nov 25, 2006.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Miss State and Ole Miss are battling for the 104th time for the Golden Egg. Once again, it's a fight to stay out of the cellar in the SEC West. Both are 3-8 overall and 1-6 in the SEC. Woo hoo!

What's your rivalry? Does it matter for anything?

Attached Files:

2. cait-sith macrumors regular

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Aww, good luck to your team. Mine is Michigan / OSU. Michigan already lost (sob sob), but it looks like the possibility of a grudge match during the post-season is good. :D

Cait, we're talking about US college football.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Mine's Richmond-William & Mary..."The Most Played Rivalry in the South," known for the last 20 years as the "I-64 Bowl" in reference to the highway connecting the schools. My Richmond Spiders won the 116th meeting last week, 31-14. William & Mary, a traditionally strong I-AA team, has been down for the past couple of years, and Richmond didn't quite live up to this season's high expectations, but a rivalry win is always reason enough to feel good.

5. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

MSU lost...whoopie!

I remember playing William and Mary when I was a kid, probably thirty years ago right when I started listening to games.

6. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

Even though we ended up finishing with a losing season, the UD-Richmond game was fun, moreso because we won as underdogs!

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Ugh...the UD game was the start of our big slide. Good game, but I wonder how the Spiders' season would have turned out had they been able to pull that one out.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I thought they were talking about a Beauty Pageant. :eek:

9. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

Yeah, didn't Richmond beat UNH while they were still #1? Or was that JMU?

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Auburn University beat the University of Alabama for the fifth year in a row, so it's all good for us Auburn fans even though we blew our shot at the SEC championship.

P.S. I heard this morning that Alabama head coach Mike Shula has been fired. If you're keeping score at home, that's the fourth coach they've gone through in the last six years. :D

11. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

Yeah, I just read about 'Bama. Things aren't looking good for the tide right now!

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

That was JMU. Richmond played UNH very tough, but lost 27-17. The Spiders outgained UNH both on the ground and in the air, but a number of key turnovers by our frosh QB (one fumble was returned 60 yards for a TD) were the difference. (Not all of the turnovers were his fault, and his play certainly kept the Spiders in the game, but they definitely came at inopportune times.)

13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

26-23 overall didn't bode well for Shula. Mediocrity doesn't cut the mustard when you're getting paid in the neighborhood of a million dollars a year. Not many people around here like the way he coaches (keeps making the same mistakes constantly hoping things will get better) and he just doesn't play to win.

In all fairness though, it isn't all his fault:
    1. The loss of so many scholarships before his time was crushing to the program. You can't rebuild a team in one year. Maybe not even in four.
    2. Mal Moore, the athletic director, needs to go. He really showed a lack of class by walking out of the Auburn game at the 4th quarter.
    3. Some of the assistant coaches under Shula aren't producing, like the offensive line coach.

I can't think of a good reason Alabama couldn't have had another 10-2 season except for bad decision making at the top.

14. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

He did that? Boy, that is tacky!!!

15. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Indeed. Even one of the CBS announcers on the field took notice and said something on the air when he looked up in the press box and saw that Moore had departed early.

IIRC, it's also partly his fault that Bama lost the scholarships and 2 years' bowl eligibility (which he "replaced" with the Hawaii games), but he apparently has a Teflon trenchcoat. He's more politician than coach/director, which is probably why they won't wise up and get rid of him - he can bring in the money.

16. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

Yeah lots of people don't like Larry Templeton at MSU. But, he's done a lot with a program that has a tenth of the budget of most SEC schools. And he's very active in the NCAA.