Its the end of the world as I know it.....

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Backtothemac, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

But I don't feel fine.

Well, here is an update on us, as I have not been here in a long time. After hurricane Rita, I lost my job. Yea, that sucks, so I got the bright idea that I would start my own buisness, and that, after a week, was obvious that it would not work. I have been searching for a job for three months. We have used all of our savings, and have maxed every cc we have.

So, I finally have found a job. I will start next week, but alas, that doesn't help our situation out to say the least. We have till the 15th to pay rent, or we face eviction, and every single bill is past due and will be turned off on the 15th.

What I need from my macrumors brothers and sisters are prayers. Major, Major prayers. Please, even if you are not religious, please throw up one to the big man (woman) upstairs.

We have been in tights before, but nothing like this. Depressing, I know, but I have found that if you talk about things, at the least, you feel better.

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

my heart goes out to u and your family. i hope for the best and that u make it through. always in prayer......

Bless

3. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Thank you so much. Prayers right now are everything to us.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's horrible. Best wishes to you and I hope the new year brings happiness and prosperity. :)

5. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Yeah - I wish you the best of luck.

We went through the same situation three years ago, and I suspect will be there again in a few months.

I know this is a huge strain on you (been there) - and while I can't do anything material to help, I can say that my thoughts are with you.

Steve

6. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Thank you Steve! Just talking to someone feels good. We really have not talked to our friends about it. Our family is helping us somewhat, but they are really in just about the same straights that we are due to the storms. We just need prayers.

7. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

My thought and prayers are with you. I found that this board is actually very helpful in hard times... we're here for you.

8. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Thank you Wes. I agree. I have seen miracles here personally. Thank you again for the kind words of support.

9. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I am truly sorry. Best of luck. Things can get tough, but don't lose hope...

BTW, If you don't mind me asking, who exactly are we praying for? Backonthemac sounds weird :eek:...

10. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I'm truly sorry to hear about everything you've had to go through. I've never gone through anything half as bad as what you are facing but I think it's important to keep a positive outlook and never get down. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm going to put my atheistic (yep, new word) beliefs/non-beliefs aside and pray to God for you. Any God. Anybody who can help you.

You did try to help me save money years ago with either my Powerbook or IBM Thinkpad purchase despite the fact that I live in Toronto (I know, I know.....a WinPC.......I was young and naive), and I still remember it very well many years later. :)

Best wishes to you and your family. I hope things go well for you, although getting a new job definitely seems like a big step in the right direction, so at least all is not lost.

12. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

HA. That is funny.

Chuck, Tara and Madison Stacey.

13. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I remember that. Man, that is crazy. It seems so long ago now. Yes, the new job is going to make things great in the future. We just have to work through the next seven days. We are already seeing miracles though. Two tonight. Thank you all so much for the thoughts.

14. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Nobody should ever have to endure the agony of losing everything and then struggle with the arduous task of rebuilding your life. The process is long and returning to some degree of normalcy can often seem like an unattainable goal, but it is crucial to be strong for your family.

Chuck, Tara and Madison Stacey will remain in my thoughts on a daily basis. Hopefully, 2006 and beyond will begin to shine very brightly on all of you.

15. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

if you work in the IT industry I have small list numbers of recruiters that I get contract work in dallas, texas. PM me you want the list.

16. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

In addition to my prayers, I'll offer this advice:

Don't be beyond asking for help from the government, charities, anyone who's helping those affected by all of the hurricanes this past year - well, two years. I'm not sure where Lafayette is on the map, but I would think you would fall under some sort of category to receive assistance to alleviate your situation, for awhile anyway. I've spoken to friends on the Mississippi gulf coast who I thought were fine financially, despite losing all or most of their possessions and home. When I say fine, I mean they had insurance, family support, their job is still paying them, etc. But, they have had to rely on charities and FEMA to keep on top of things. It's not the time to be proud, or believe others need it more than you. It's out there, take advantage of it for the sake of your family.[/SERMON]

17. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Very sorry to hear about this. Some advice, call your creditors and tell them your story. Tell them about your new job and your plans to repay them. Given your location and situation, I can't imagine they wouldn't be flexible. Atheist that I am, I will be praying for you and your family.

18. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Saint. Since we did not loose our house, we have not been able to recieve any assistance other than food stamps. It is crazy. We had damage, but we are renters, which makes us second class citizens in the eyes of fema.

It is sad really.

The worst part of this is the rent. You would think that given the situation the apartments would work with someone that has been here for nine months of a twelve month lease. Well, they won't. My wife and I went and talked to them and explained the situation. Well, they are a "business" and they have to have their rent by the 15th or they will evict us. So if we need to find a cheaper place to live, then we need to move now. My wife said, if we had the money to move, we would just pay you the rent.

It is crazy really. You really find out who your friends are in situations like this. I have seen kindness from people here, and here at macrumors. We are going to make it, we just need all the prayers and help we can get.

19. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

As renters, did your landlord fix the damage done to the property? If not, then maybe you should be paying reduced rent. :confused:

21. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I understand...still, I seem to recall that renters cannot evict people affected by natural disasters. FEMA has lawyer assistance. If you're registered with them (or not), it's worth a call. Best of luck this holiday season...and try the churches! I know our denomination (the Episcopal Church) is being overwhelmed with monetary donations from around the world. And it's available to anyone who asks!!! Seek and you will find!

22. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Abstract, yea, they fixed all of our damage. It was real minor. Just a water leak over one of the doors. Nothing major at all. I was selling yellow page ads, and six of the eight parishes that I worked in were federal disaster areas.

Saint. Thank you for the heads up on the FEMA lawyer assistance. Contacting them now. Also for the information about your church. That would help majorly.

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm praying for you. God bless and I hope you'll see better times soon.

24. Sathos macrumors regular

25. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I don't have much advice about FEMA and such but I would think you and your wife could find some part time gigs somewhere during the holiday season. I don't know what kind of area you're in but most places near where i live need extra help with the holiday season. It wouldn't solve all your problems but it might let you squeak by.