It's the new MINI

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iGav, Aug 15, 2006.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Hear that noise??? that's Issigonis spinning in his grave. :rolleyes: :p

It's even bigger now too. :rolleyes:

Rinky dink link

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

meh - all that talk about the cool new interior and no pics.

Back in DC the minis were all over the place. I think there is just one in town here in Indiana :D

D

3. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Still no decent diesel and still using those stupid black plastic arches. Not really acceptable for a high end (priced) vehicle.

For the price of the S I can get a fully loaded Seat Leon FR TDI.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm crying. But not really. I think I'd rather a turbocharger in my S. Sigh. :(

edit: iMeowbot... your 'tar is that brand of macaroni right?! I love it!!! They also make these terribly yummy "rabbit" crackers in different flavors. Mmm.

5. fireball jones macrumors member

Is that per km or something? If I could get 50mpg from a Cooper I'd buy one tomorrow.

6. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

We still don't have any diesel MINIs in the States. :(

8. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

You're lucky in a way. The one over here has a pathetic 3 cylinder Toyota unit in it.

I must apologise for my diesel evangelism. In our Seat Ibiza 130pd we get 55mpg on journeys we do at 90 mph (on motorways). Compared to petrol engined cars I've had (Golf GTIs, Corrado VR6s etc ) the Ibiza does this completely effortlessly.

Back to the topic: I think the new mini looks a little bulbous compared to the old one.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

1.6? Gee that sounds big (how heavy have these cars become again?).
    The reputation won't die. Locally, diesel soot is still regularly dragged out as an argument against rail and bus transit.
    That's the stuff! Of course they're yummy, there's a bunny on the box! and bunnies don't lie.

10. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

the seat ibiza i talk about above is a 1.9. in a similar size to the mini. the weight isn't noticable.

Modern diesels are much much better on this front. The latest generation have particulate filters as well as being effiecient (better injector technology).

Right, I'll shuddup now :)

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I meant the weight of the whole car :) Taking a look at the numbers, the new Minis really are gargantuan compared to the real ones.
    Yeah, that's what comes out of the other side of the argument, the NIMBYs won't have any of it.

12. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Click on 'Gallery' D, and wonder at the unfeasibly large speedo. :p

13. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

You mean compared to the original mini (issigonis's mini i mean)? At one point I owned six of these in various states of restoration :)

I use a bike to get around (the Seat is my partners) and to a certain extent I prefer to be around *modern* diesels, at least I can see what comes out of a diesel compared to all the junk that you can't see that comes out of a 4 litre petrol :)

14. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

I think that's the biggest drawback of the new engine, if you have to go the forced induction route then a supercharger's a damn sight better than a turbocharger... can't beat a properly developed normally aspirated one though if you ask me. :D

With a suffix like MPG :p

15. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

So now everyone in the car can see how much you're going over the speed limit.

[​IMG]

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I dunno, I'd rather a turbocharger. I mean, sure there's some lag or whatnot, but I don't intend to really need the extra oomf typically (if ever) so the turbocharger might keep my fuel mileage more efficient.

And yes, the icky reputation of diesel being dirty hasn't caught on to the fact that newer diesel technology is quite clean-burning.

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's okay but where are the Maxi and the Princess? :p