Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mersea

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
Everytime I open iTunes I get the following error message:
The iTunes Library file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file

I recently (over a month ago) moved my iTunes library to the Shared folder so it could be read/written to from multiple users. I've had no problems with it before now.

I've checked the permissons for the folder, as the owner, I should be able to both read & write. I can access the library from the other user account. I've tried repairing permissions and rebooting. Is there anyway I can reset preference files so I can at least open iTune and designate a different library folder if not fix the current situation? I would be EXTREMELY grateful if I didn't have to lose my library/playlist configurations, since not all the music in the shared iTunes library folder is in my individual iTunes library.

Thank you so much to anybody who takes time out to help.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Is another account logged in at the same time (Fast User Switching)? Maybe try opening iTunes up whilst holding OPTION to reselect your library location. If that doesn't help, try rebuilding the library. Oh, and maybe back up the library before doing any of this. Good luck. :)

mersea

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
Thanks so much. For some reason the Library file decided I couldn't acess it, even though I should have been able to. I just rebuilt it following the instructions on apple's website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.