iTunes 10.4 + Growl

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ipodgeenie, Aug 2, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I posted this on the Apple Discussions page but it's taking ages to get a response so I thought it might be quicker on here.

Ever since I upgraded to Lion and consequently iTunes 10.4, Growl no longer tells me what track is playing in iTunes. It used to tell me when the track changed and what it had changed to, but this is no longer the case.

Growl still works fine with all the applications that previously used it so what gives? Also, I tried installing GrowlTunes (which I didn't have installed before) because I thought this might fix it, but this hasn't either.

Please help. Also, this is my first post! :D

2. macrumors 68000

Did you have some kind of controller running earlier, like Bowtie, Ecoute, or Coversutra? Those, I think, tie in to Growl and will notify of track changes. I don't think there's a way to have Growl send notifications directly from iTunes, at least not that I've seen.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Not that I know of. I simply performed an upgrade to Lion from Snow Leopard, and then installed iTunes when that was done and growl hasn't worked properly since. I've tried reinstalling Growl to no avail.

4. macrumors regular

Chances are, you had GrowlTunes (included on the Growl disk image) running, which is not compatible with Lion.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

But I thought that standard Growl just worked with iTunes. I don't remember installing GrowlTunes before, just Growl. Also, Growl is working with my other applications - Skype, Spotify, Dropbox etc.

6. macrumors 68000

All of those apps have growl turned on by default if you have Growl installed. Those apps don't require any special set up.

7. ipodgeenie, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

thread starter macrumors newbie

But I didn't install GrowlTunes when I installed Growl. I believe GrowlTunes places its icon in the menu bar; I had no such icon when using Growl with iTunes before upgrading to Lion and I was always notified when a track changed in iTunes. So what's going on?

EDIT: Also, I have noticed that the notifications for GrowlTunes are completely different to the ones I used to receive pre-Lion. I used to just get the normal Growl notification - a black/grey box in the top right corner saying the name of the song, the artist and the album - no star ratings and no artwork (which is what GrowlTunes does). Think Skype/Dropbox/Spotify etc. notification style if I wasn't being clear. So surely this means I didn't have GrowlTunes installed.