iTunes 10.6 for Leopard ppc available

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pistooli, Mar 7, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

our beloved ppc is not completely forgotten by Apple. :)

the new iTunes 10.6 is available via Software Update

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's impressive. I might have to not sell my G4 mini and use it for music instead. I'm impressed Apple continues to support it like this... it's very un-Appleish of them.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Macintosh Hardware

Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5 or G4 processor and 512MB of RAM
    To play Standard Definition video from the iTunes Store, a 1.0GHz PowerPC G4 or faster processor and 512MB of RAM is required
    To play 720p HD video, an iTunes LP, or iTunes Extras, a 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor and 1GB of RAM is required
    To play 1080p HD video, a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or faster processor and 2GB of RAM is required
    Screen resolution of 1024x768 or greater; 1280x800 or greater is required to play an iTunes LP or iTunes Extras
    Broadband Internet connection to use the iTunes Store
    Apple combo drive or SuperDrive to create audio, MP3, or back-up CDs; some non-Apple CD-RW recorders may also work
    Apple SuperDrive to back up your library to DVDs; some non-Apple DVD-RW drives may also work

Macintosh Software

Mac OS X version 10.5.8 or later
    Safari 4.0.3 or later
    200MB of available disk space
    iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes Match availability may vary by country

4. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

This is so you can run out and buy a new iPad 3..:rolleyes:

5. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

HOW DARE YOU!! It's "the new iPad" not the iPad 3 :p

6. macrumors regular

I also love how iTunes Match works brilliantly too on PowerPC. Genuinely happy that we're still supported :)

7. macrumors regular

actually anything to sell an iOS device is very appleish. Cool either way though.

8. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

sorry the "New iPad" ;)

I'd like to see the "New MacPro" instead :cool:

9. macrumors 65816

mabaker

They update the software where the money is. Kind of pathetic but brilliant from a marketing point of view.

10. macrumors 68030

joepunk

Nice!

Even though I can't play the HD videos I keep them (the free ones) and burn them to disc or store on and external hard drive.

11. Guest

Have you tried CorePlayer yet? I bought it a while ago because it was the only way I could play HD animes on my Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz. It's $20 but I encourage any PPC user to buy it because it does miracles compared to VLC or quicktime. Maybe if enough PPC users buy it, they will still support us on the next update?...

12. macrumors 6502a

Apple if you are hearing this, lot's of iOs users are using tiger, please launch a new itunes for tiger or a "patch" for the older itunes to work with the new ipods/iOs :p

X2, best money I ever spent on software.

13. macrumors P6

Intell

While another Tiger version would be nice, I think Apple has killed all support for it. The last few versions of iTunes for Tiger shipped with replacement frameworks because the ones in Tiger where so outdated.

14. macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Leopard is nearly there too. Pretty sure the past 6 - 8 months I've only ever had iTunes updates and Safari 5.0.6 in June... it's rare for me to even touch software update now. Mostly everything I've turned off auto update checking due to apps and that wanting Intel versions.

15. Guest

Is it just me or 10.6 sounds like s*** compared to 10.4.1??? I tried the same songs on both versions, back to back, and sound was WAY better on 10.4.1. Sounds fuller, greater left-right pan (sound surrounds you more) and more bass.

16. macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Could be just you. It's the same for me as it ever was. I even have the Sound Enhancer off. What speakers?

17. macrumors regular

They have PPC version of OSX Mountain Lion made "just in case" also so they drop these little clues for us. ;)

Maybe MacPro will be RISC based machine in the future.. IBM Power7 processors are way more powerful than any Xeons out there!

ARM is RISC too..

18. macrumors 68030

G51989

As far as there being another Power Based Mac, I highly doubt that. At least for consumer products, there are tons of advantages to X86 as far as support and compatibility goes, which is one of the primary reasons they switched over in the first place.

19. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

could IBM even feed Apple enough CPU's to make it work?

20. macrumors newbie

21. macrumors 65816

vohdoun

Are Intel? I keep hearing stagnation comments.

22. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I don't know, but it would seem like they should be able to.

23. macrumors 603

SkyBell

IIRC, it wasn't that PPC processors couldn't be delivered fast enough that Apple switched, but mainly because the G5 couldn't be made efficient enough for mobile usage, and they were kind of stuck at a dead end on that one. (I could be wrong, though.)

24. macrumors P6

Intell

This is the reason. There was a small US company by the name of P.A. Semi that was working on a very efferent version around late 2005. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G5#P.A._Semi.27s_G5_derivative

25. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I was referring to now about the power7 chips..

Does IBM currently have the production capability to keep Apple in chips along with it's other commitments?