Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I bought an iPhone 3GS two months ago.
The iPhone 3GS will be able to run iOS 6 and I will update it as soon as it is available.

But, there might/will be a problem, iTunes 10.7 is needed to sync to an iOS 6 device with the computer, yet it can NOT run on a PPC.

Is this a huge oversight by Apple, again they mess up!

It's not only 3GS owners but it seems to affect iPhone 4 and 4s owners on PPC as well.

Wish they release a 10.6.4 update to just fix this issue.

As I said, bought it just two months ago, and now seems likely we can not update to iOS6 on PPC.

Update(late): It will work with with iTunes 10.6.3 on PPC

Last edited:

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Doubt it but that's a good idea, will do.

The whole thing is, if the 3GS wasn't supported it wouldn't be a big deal, yet they (will)release iOS including 3GS support yet can not sync.

I did the same for the ipod shuffle.It is ridiculous.It is equal to the previous one (appart from the colors), and yet it needs itunes 10.7

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I did the same for the ipod shuffle.It is ridiculous.It is equal to the previous one (appart from the colors), and yet it needs itunes 10.7

Are you sure it needs 10.7 while it is still the same?

I agree with you though, strange they support 3GS-4-4s and still sell them yet drop PPC support.
Send them feedback just now, won't change a thing though I think.
Maybe it will work on iTunes 10.6.3 but if not I could still try to find a work around.
Maybe there is some .plist file somewhere in iOS 6 with the minimum iTunes needed, maybe, just maybe if we change that it will be possible.

skinniezinho

Suspended
Jan 1, 2009
Portugal
Are you sure it needs 10.7 while it is still the same?

I agree with you though, strange they support 3GS-4-4s and still sell them yet drop PPC support.
Send them feedback just now, won't change a thing though I think.
Maybe it will work on iTunes 10.6.3 but if not I could still try to find a work around.
Maybe there is some .plist file somewhere in iOS 6 with the minimum iTunes needed, maybe, just maybe if we change that it will be possible.

I didn't try it (Because I still didn't bought it),but on apple webpage it says it needs itunes 10.7.
That what was I have been saying for some time, there must be a way of tricking itunes.
In linux lot's of ipods are supported by media players (syncing music), so...
In the case of iOs updates that would be trickier..

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I didn't try it (Because I still didn't bought it),but on apple webpage it says it needs itunes 10.7.
That what was I have been saying for some time, there must be a way of tricking itunes.
In linux lot's of ipods are supported by media players (syncing music), so...
In the case of iOs updates that would be trickier..

Well, then I think it is nonsense, if the device is exactly the same you could still do it on 10.6.3, unless Apple changed the software in it but I find that highly unlikely since it costs them money to do so, and if nothing changed then why update the software.

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Is there some plist we can hack to support some of these devices or is it hardcoded?

As I said before, there might be a plist with minimum requirements but since I don't have iOS running on the 3GS yet and I need to JB it I can not say yet.

Also, keep in mind that iOS syncs more than iOS 5.1.1, safari tabs for instance and that won't be possible with the old iTunes(10.6.3)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It's been my experience with Apple that it's programs will not provide an update to a device if that device is not capable of running a program version higher than what it's currently running.

So here's my question. If you have iTunes 10.6.x, will you be notified via iTunes that iOS 6 is out and if so, will iTunes 10.6.x actually install an iOS it can't sync with? Or do you have to have iTunes 7 to be notified about that since as mentioned, iOS 6 will require iTunes 7?

I'm new to iPhone (just got a 3GS as a Christmas gift last year) so if this is a stupid (or uninformed) question I apologize.

justperry

macrumors G5
Original poster
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It's been my experience with Apple that it's programs will not provide an update to a device if that device is not capable of running a program version higher than what it's currently running.

So here's my question. If you have iTunes 10.6.x, will you be notified via iTunes that iOS 6 is out and if so, will iTunes 10.6.x actually install an iOS it can't sync with? Or do you have to have iTunes 7 to be notified about that since as mentioned, iOS 6 will require iTunes 7?

I'm new to iPhone (just got a 3GS as a Christmas gift last year) so if this is a stupid (or uninformed) question I apologize.

That's a good question so don't apologize.
I will probably download iOS 6 tonight, hopefully it will update in iTunes 10.6.3, if I am right it also checks with Apple's servers and there might be a problem here.
I myself do not have a PC here, I do have Virtual PC but I don't know if I am going that way, it's flaky in it's connections.

I think/hope that it will be possible to upgrade in iTunes 10.6.3 but synchronizing could be a problem.
Also, as I said before, maybe there will be a way to trick iTunes/iOS 6 six into syncing by editing the requirements in a .plist file, but that's to be seen.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I think this will be like FCS 3 you just need to open the install package and delete the HW check..I'll bet its still fat.

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
Complaining that your 7+ year old, VERY unsupported PPC Mac can't sync with software that isn't even released yet? Seriously?

Some people need to re-evaluate their expectations for their computers.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Complaining that your 7+ year old, VERY unsupported PPC Mac can't sync with software that isn't even released yet? Seriously?

No, they're complaining that hardware they purchased 2 months ago that was supported on their mac - age is irrelevant in this instance - may not be supported anymore.

In essence, Apple is possibly pulling product support 2 months after the OP bought it.

Having said that, Apple still supports Windows XP, which is a far older OS than the PPC architecture.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here

So you're complaining about other peoples PowerPC issues in a PowerPC specific sub forum?

Why? Does it add any value?

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland

Apple still supports other peoples 7+ year old PCs running Windows XP.

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
Apple still supports other peoples 7+ year old PCs running Windows XP.

Which represent >25% of the world's Windows install base.

PowerPC Macs probably don't represent much more than 10% of Apple's Mac OS X install base which in turn is a fraction of their ~10% overall share of the PC market. Simple statistics would indicate that the dropping of PowerPC support was pretty much inevitable.

I'm sad that this has happened, though. My iMac G5 was/is my primary iTunes machine. (I suppose it'll probably give up the ghost before this becomes an issue unless I decide to get a new iPod touch sooner rather than later.)

Last edited:

reberto

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2005
No, they're complaining that hardware they purchased 2 months ago that was supported on their mac - age is irrelevant in this instance - may not be supported anymore.

In essence, Apple is possibly pulling product support 2 months after the OP bought it.

Having said that, Apple still supports Windows XP, which is a far older OS than the PPC architecture.

But the SOFTWARE of the device now no longer supports the old hardware. New software requires new hardware. That's the facts of the technology-filled world we live in. Either use old software with old hardware, or suck it up and get new hardware to match the new software.

Sorry to sound like a jackass but this whole complaining that old, very out of warranty, and even more so very much out of support, isn't being supported anymore....WONDER WHY.

(PS Apple doesn't really support XP anymore. If you have a preexisting XP Boot Camp install you can continue to use it, but all new ones are officially Vista/7.)

So you're complaining about other peoples PowerPC issues in a PowerPC specific sub forum?

Why? Does it add any value?

It's not an issue. It's a fact. Some people need to face them.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
But the SOFTWARE of the device now no longer supports the old hardware. New software requires new hardware. That's the facts of the technology-filled world we live in. Either use old software with old hardware, or suck it up and get new hardware to match the new software.

Sorry to sound like a jackass but this whole complaining that old, very out of warranty, and even more so very much out of support, isn't being supported anymore....WONDER WHY.

(PS Apple doesn't really support XP anymore. If you have a preexisting XP Boot Camp install you can continue to use it, but all new ones are officially Vista/7.)

So you're arguing that it's acceptable for Apple to issue a SOFTWARE update that breaks a main feature of the hardware, after 2 months?

New software does not require new hardware. It may for some things like NFC, but for sync it does not.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Windows Vista came out in 2006, at the end of the year after Intel Macs had just started to roll out.

Windows XP might have came out 10 years ago, but you should note that the last stable release of it was in 2008. In 2008, there were still new machines being released with it. It is still the most used desktop OS to surf the internet too.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Windows Vista came out in 2006, at the end of the year after Intel Macs had just started to roll out.

Windows XP might have came out 10 years ago, but you should note that the last stable release of it was in 2008. In 2008, there were still new machines being released with it. It is still the most used desktop OS to surf the internet too.
Still, Apple updated PPC Leopard machines with a tool to remove the Flashback malware in May this year. I totally understand why Apple supports XP, but I don't think it'd be that hard for them to dedicate one or two programmers to bring over support to PPC machines. I'm assuming that adding iOS 6 support isn't a particularly huge job, Apple has just depreciated its' PPC Macs.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland

Your totally right :rolleyes: , a quad-core top of the range PowerMac can't run iTunes :rolleyes: . iTunes is just to powerful to run on a machine like that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.