Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xbpr

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2008
When I got the "trust this computer" message, there was one on my phone and one on my computer that both needed to be confirmed before itunes would see it.

gsusser

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Medellín, Colombia
I have nothing overly useful to add. Just a comment.

I switched to Mac about 5 years ago because I had a large music library that no program seemed to be able to handle, including iTunes. I thought the problem was Windows. Not so. I had the same or similar problems on my first Mac and each one thereafter. My library is probably twice the size now at 800gb and 80k songs. I have tons of memory and hard disk space.

However, I sense a pattern. With each new major upgrade of iTunes, the problems with syncing are almost unmanageable. I say "almost" because there always seems to be some work around. Some of my present problems are somewhat addressed by one or two of the work arounds mentioned here. Sometimes it takes talking to a few senior iTunes reps before finding a work around. I'm not faulting them, but they're just as clueless.

Almost without fail, it takes 2 or 3 or 4 updates before things become manageable again. It's uncanny, but this has been the case ever since I owned a Mac.

ja2ed

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2009
I have nothing overly useful to add. Just a comment.

I switched to Mac about 5 years ago because I had a large music library that no program seemed to be able to handle, including iTunes. I thought the problem was Windows. Not so. I had the same or similar problems on my first Mac and each one thereafter. My library is probably twice the size now at 800gb and 80k songs. I have tons of memory and hard disk space.

However, I sense a pattern. With each new major upgrade of iTunes, the problems with syncing are almost unmanageable. I say "almost" because there always seems to be some work around. Some of my present problems are somewhat addressed by one or two of the work arounds mentioned here. Sometimes it takes talking to a few senior iTunes reps before finding a work around. I'm not faulting them, but they're just as clueless.

Almost without fail, it takes 2 or 3 or 4 updates before things become manageable again. It's uncanny, but this has been the case ever since I owned a Mac.

Working with iOS 6 and iTunes 11 my syncing has worked flawsly I just don't understand how the mass have not made this a bigger issue.

jdag

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2012
No, it's definitely an iTunes issue.

I found this user with the same problem, and someone replied with a workaround. I haven't tried it, so I can't say that it works.

I will give it a try next time there's an app update.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5357399?tstart=150

I do not believe that it is "definitely" an iTunes problem. I should say more precisely that I don't believe it is "exclusively" and "only" an iTunes problem.

I have a single iTunes library, 3 iPhones, and an iPad mini. All software is up to date with the exception of an iPhone 4. 2 of the 3 iPhones (both iPhone 5 models) are on iOS7. The 3rd iPhone is a 4 and is on iOS6. The mini is on iOS7. Of the 4 devices, only 1 of them will not properly sync music: 1 of the iPhone 5 models with iOS7.

Again, I am using a single iTunes library. The library includes just under 12,000 songs, both ripped from CD and purchased from iTunes. The way I have always synced music is via playlists (so I have certain playlists checked to sync, but do not sync my entire library).

When attempting to sync the iPhone 5 w/iOS7, I get stuck in the "waiting for changes to be applied" step only when the playlist includes a purchased song. The playlist can have just 1 purchased song, with hundreds of ripped songs, and it will hang at the waiting for changes to be applied step every time.

I have tried checking a single song to sync as well, as opposed to putting it inside of a playlist. Same issue. I had cleared all music, and downloaded a single song from the iPhone itself, but when I sync again it hangs. If I cancel the sync, remove that song, the sync then will complete.

So in my case, it is clearly purchased music on just 1 of my 4 devices. The other devices all work properly. My next step is to clear the phone and reset it from factory settings.

TBix

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2013
Guys all you have to do is uncheck the sync music box when you sync it. Then sync it once. Then re-check it and sync again! worked 100% for me! :cool:
You are my hero. I have been trying to get my music on my phone for 2 days. Thank you.

carbonguy33

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA
I tunes sync and cancel both hang....

No relief yet, the synch just hangs on the last step... clicking the small 'x' to cancel simply hangs... left it for 45 min. and nothing... is this an IOS 7 issue?

My music that came from cd's are all licensed and should be able to be played. I imported them last week and they were fine, this week they show up with a red circle with a red square and wont play... any solutions yet? I have tried resetting my phone. but no changes to the songs with a red circle with a red square... On the phone iPhone 4 8GB; If I click on the circle/square icon , they 'Fade' but i don't see anything happening,, am I missing something? I have about 100 songs on the phone so I don't thing it is a memory issue...help please..:) :cool:

Last edited:

man290663

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2013
same here

I have spent about 14 days on this ever since apple introduced supplemental update, itunes 11.1.1 and IOS updates in same day. it seems to ONLY happen when:-

you're downsampling music to 128kbps and its an iPhone. Ive been promised a call back from apple on this (yes restored reinstalled and rebuilt music library).

apple as usual try to say its a corrupt file in my library of over 11,000 entries but it works on any other combination except the 128kbps and iPhone.

trying to get apple to admit theres a bug is like dealing with most other USA based companies (Never accept there is a problem in case we get sued)..

think if you have space change 192kbps AAC and it goes away...

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
I have spent about 14 days on this ever since apple introduced supplemental update, itunes 11.1.1 and IOS updates in same day. it seems to ONLY happen when:-

you're downsampling music to 128kbps and its an iPhone. Ive been promised a call back from apple on this (yes restored reinstalled and rebuilt music library).

apple as usual try to say its a corrupt file in my library of over 11,000 entries but it works on any other combination except the 128kbps and iPhone.

trying to get apple to admit theres a bug is like dealing with most other USA based companies (Never accept there is a problem in case we get sued)..

think if you have space change 192kbps AAC and it goes away...

Converting a boatload of files to 128 Kbps is exactly what I do with my 64 GB Touch, and the solution to the sync stalling was to restore iOS 7, initialize my Touch as a new device, and NOT restore an iCloud backup, as I posted earlier and expanded on in follow-ups:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18068449#post18068449

It's been fine ever since I bit the bullet and did this a few days after iOS 7 was released. I never tried the 192 Kbps so can't comment on that, but I wouldn't want to lose a third of my available storage to it.

carbonguy33

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Sync Hangs - Memory Settings !!

FOUND IT ! So today I looked around a little bit more in iTunes, and I decided to try some other things. I went to <File , <'Devices' 'on the drop-down menu under <transferred purchases from phone. And I noticed in the bottom right-hand corner of iTunes on my MacBook, there is a small box that says "Settings." NAd it was set ti ZERO !!!@ WTF,,,Perhaps in the iOS7 reset, it defaults to 0 GB of memory,,, I slid the icon from 0 GB over to 4 GB, as I only carry about 100 - 125 songs, I set mine at 4 GB - and it started syncing.. perhaps that has been the problem all along?:cool:

~~ yeah the songs are all back and they DONT have the RED Circle with the Square !!

Not too Happy bout that :apple::mad::apple:

ja2ed

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2009
FOUND IT ! So today I looked around a little bit more in iTunes, and I decided to try some other things. I went to <File , <'Devices' 'on the drop-down menu under <transferred purchases from phone. And I noticed in the bottom right-hand corner of iTunes on my MacBook, there is a small box that says "Settings." NAd it was set ti ZERO !!!@ WTF,,,Perhaps in the iOS7 reset, it defaults to 0 GB of memory,,, I slid the icon from 0 GB over to 4 GB, as I only carry about 100 - 125 songs, I set mine at 4 GB - and it started syncing.. perhaps that has been the problem all along?:cool:

~~ yeah the songs are all back and they DONT have the RED Circle with the Square !!

Not too Happy bout that :apple::mad::apple:

Does this work with songs not purchased from iTunes? Or is all your library from iTunes?

carbonguy33

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Sync hangs - Memory Settings !!

ja2ed et al; yes this worked with all my songs... Even the ones that I had imported to my library from LimeWire many years ago... all good now:D

ja2ed

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2009
ja2ed et al; yes this worked with all my songs... Even the ones that I had imported to my library from LimeWire many years ago... all good now:D

Is that setting your talking about that you change apart of the autofill? Thats the only thing i see. If that is it that didn't do it for me :(. Regardless I am hoping updating my Mac and Phone did something. I am now syncing again so we will see. Thanks for the input anyways.

StuartG

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2013
Erase the iPhone

There's lots of good advice here depending on your iTunes / iOS issue. I have an iPhone 5 iOS 7.0.4 with iTunes 11.1.3 and I found that iTunes was syncing fine but the phone contained around 30 songs that I had unchecked in iTunes a few weeks ago.

No matter what I did (and I tried everything) these songs would not remove from my phone. Finally, I did a full reset on the phone and erased everything after having done an encrypted back up on iTunes. I then restored the back up and this seems to have solved the problem.:)

Jonno13

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
Finally Working !!!!

Thanks ppl for all your advice on this thread after myself & the Mrs bought iPhone 5C and then upgraded the iTunes to 11.1.1 and ios 7.03 neither would fully load our music playlists onto the new phones :mad::mad::mad: after speaking to everyone abd there dog ang banging my head against a brick wall for 3 days the answer was indeed 1 corrupt music file which i have now deleted.
It would allow the other songs to appear on the phone but with the dreaded red circle against it , also in the On this Phone music list the songs that hadn't loaded had a grey dotted circle against them. It would appear that just one corrupted song file would then f'k up all the remaining process for songs that weren't originally put on there from CD's or iTunes and a lot of my library was from Limewire (allegedly :) ). All the playlists have now loaded , hope this helps cheers Jonno.

fifi77

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
London
I was also having this problem, but I manually sync, so the suggestion of unchecking sync and rechecking it wasn't going to be much help. Nothing else worked. In the end, I got so annoyed that I just turned iTunes Match on. Turns out I'm quite happy with it and it's actually solved my space problem.

gherrick

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2011
I'm having the same issue, but with apps.
I'm not sure but my problem seems to have begun with my update to iOS7, and today's latest update [7.0.4] didn't fix it. The problem is that running Notes on my MacBook Pro [OS 10.8.5] and on my iPhone 5, notes I create on my iPhone do not synch w my Mac, but those created on the Mac do synch to my iPhone. I don't use iTunes on the iPhone, so most of the discussion in this thread seems irrelevant.

staminem

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2013
semi-solution

hey guys
i have been having the same issue with my 4S and have recently switched to a 5S. and what do you know, the exact same problem persists.
i have found somwhat of a "semi-solution", though: be persistent.
i have just added an album of new music to itunes, synched my iphone, and it went through a whole syncing process without transferring the new album. i simply pressed "sync" again with the same result. the third time though, the syncing process took a long time at the "waiting for changes to be applied" step, and voilà: the album transferred to my iphone, along with a certain number of other songs that were actually already on the phone.
i am definitely hoping for apple to release a fix for this problem, either for itunes or ios (wherever the problem may be)!
until then, maybe this helps

Jonno13

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks ppl for all your advice on this thread after myself & the Mrs bought iPhone 5C and then upgraded the iTunes to 11.1.1 and ios 7.03 neither would fully load our music playlists onto the new phones :mad::mad::mad: after speaking to everyone abd there dog ang banging my head against a brick wall for 3 days the answer was indeed 1 corrupt music file which i have now deleted.
It would allow the other songs to appear on the phone but with the dreaded red circle against it , also in the On this Phone music list the songs that hadn't loaded had a grey dotted circle against them. It would appear that just one corrupted song file would then f'k up all the remaining process for songs that weren't originally put on there from CD's or iTunes and a lot of my library was from Limewire (allegedly :) ). All the playlists have now loaded , hope this helps cheers Jonno.

AAARRRGGGHHH !!!!! After appearing to have worked & loaded the songs onto the 5C , two days later they disappeared and the dreaded Red Circle returned & can't play them again , please pass me a blunt instrument to hit my head against :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

SlowCarBoost

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
This is the biggest problem I've ever had with Apple. One of the main reasons to stick with Apple is the iTunes integration and it's now completely broken. The only music that will stay synced is music purchased from iTunes. This is completely unacceptable and I have no idea how you release update after update and don't see or fix this problem. Besides that, how is not a top story on macrumors?

ja2ed

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2009
This is the biggest problem I've ever had with Apple. One of the main reasons to stick with Apple is the iTunes integration and it's now completely broken. The only music that will stay synced is music purchased from iTunes. This is completely unacceptable and I have no idea how you release update after update and don't see or fix this problem. Besides that, how is not a top story on macrumors?

I could not agree with you as much as I do now. I from iOS 6 down have been manually managing my music because it is different from the library in the actual iTunes and every synced buttery smooth. Ever since iOS 7 released I would have horrible issues. Which led me to force myself to just make a full blown playlist and sync my separate library that way. So far I have yet to run into an issue but I would love to once again manually manage my music and videos it's just much easier and organized then my iTunes library itself. Regards to all these minor updates I would assume at least one would have done the job but to no avail. I'm really hoping this is not the sign of the future and how things are going to be run sync wise.

kmlkarablt

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
Itunes music sync issue

Hi guys,

i tried this and it worked for my iphone 5

check pls: https://discussions.apple.com/message/21665313#21665313
pushc6

Re: iTunes won't sync my music, movies, ringtones... Anything!

Apr 30, 2013 4:39 PM (in response to YoshiCookie)

I was experiencing the same problem and tried all sorts of stuff, including items in this thread with no luck, this is what ultimately worked for me.

1. Download iFunBox (or other utility that gives you access to the filesystem)
2. Delete the _iTunes_Control folder
3. Delete everything in the Purchases folder
4. Force a sync in itunes
5. Profit.

So far I haven't seen any weird problems, other than my songs now sync.

hylertill

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2013
Hi guys,

i tried this and it worked for my iphone 5

check pls: https://discussions.apple.com/message/21665313#21665313
pushc6

Re: iTunes won't sync my music, movies, ringtones... Anything!

Apr 30, 2013 4:39 PM (in response to YoshiCookie)

I was experiencing the same problem and tried all sorts of stuff, including items in this thread with no luck, this is what ultimately worked for me.

1. Download iFunBox (or other utility that gives you access to the filesystem)
2. Delete the _iTunes_Control folder
3. Delete everything in the Purchases folder
4. Force a sync in itunes
5. Profit.

So far I haven't seen any weird problems, other than my songs now sync.

This did not work for me. When I try to sync it gets to "determining tracks to sync" and skips right over it. I really hope apple fixes this soon. All I wanted was one new song on my iphone and it deleted all of my music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.