iTunes 11: Does Match support nested smart playlists?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by SteamyDinkins, Nov 30, 2012.

1. SteamyDinkins, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

macrumors newbie

In iTunes 10, iTunes Match did not allow you to upload smart playlists that reference other playlists.

Has anyone with iTunes 11 tried this? I would try it myself, but I let my Match subscription lapse because I make heavy use of nested playlists, which makes this limitation a deal breaker.

Thanks to anyone who can report back whether this limitation still exists in iTunes 11!

2. SteamyDinkins, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

thread starter macrumors newbie

Could someone with Match do a test on this? Here's how to do it:

Create a smart playlist by clicking the + icon in the lower left corner of the iTunes window and select "New Smart Playlist".

Once the dialog pops up, just add two conditions, each of which is "Playlist is [insert playlist]."

Make sure to change "All" to "Any" so that the list is sure to populate with songs. It will look like this:

Nested.png
    Once you do that, the list will show up in your sidebar (you can turn that on with View->Show Sidebar). When you do this, does the playlist have the "cloud with a slash through it" icon that signifies content that can't be uploaded to iTunes Match?

Or does it upload to iTunes Match like a normal playlist and show up on your other devices?

Thanks in advance!

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone?

4. macrumors newbie

I can confirm iTunes Match still does not sync smart playlists referencing other playlists.

It was a deal breaker when I first tried it…

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Resurrecting an old thread in the dim hope that iTunes Match somehow now supports smart playlists that reference another playlist.

Has anyone tried this recently?

6. macrumors 65816

decafjava

No but I am also curious. This has prevented me going to iTunes match myself.