iTunes 11, Meta X, & Handbrake = black screen w/ audio

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ellisd27, Dec 10, 2012.

1. ellisd27, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012

macrumors newbie

Dec 10, 2012
    When Handbraking movies, using Meta X for taggin, & then importing into iTunes 11, the files get dumped into the HOME VIDEO section. Everything works normal, just not in the MOVIE section of iTunes. Once I cmd-I to Get Info & change the file to a iTunes MOVIE, it gets moved but only the audio will play, the video is black.

Tried moving the file out of the Movies folder to the desktop; didn't work, same issue. Tried retagging in Meta X; same issue. All software used is up-to-date.

Help me MacRumors Forum, you're my only hope.
  2. macrumors 68000

Aug 10, 2008
    just done one this morning, but in slightly different steps (not sure if it makes a difference

Rip DVD with Handbrake using Apple TV2 preset
    Add Movie to iTunes
    Run MetaX on the movie thats in iTunes
    Get Info and change type to Movie

Does the Movie before you used MetaX play ok, should be in the trash as MetaX moves it there and creates a copy?
  3. macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2010
    As Meta X is no longer being developed, you would probably be better to use something like Identify. I have not used Meta X for a while, but when I did, I found that the results weren't always reliable.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 10, 2012
    Before importing into iTunes everythings fine. Once iTunes imports it, a .mV4 (Handbrake's High Profile setting creates this kind of a file) becomes a HOME MOVIE, but it still plays ok. It's after switch the media in iTunes from HOME MOVIE to MOVIE that the files goes to the black screen w/ audio.

I'll try the AppleTV preset & report back.

BTW I've never had luck adding meta data in any program to a iTunes file; I always do that first then import into iTunes.

Thanks for your help.

Following Identity link now. I've used Handbrake for 3 years & not had any problems.

Thanks for your help. & my God man, you have a Cube?!?!?
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 10, 2012
    Thanks for everyone's help. Meta X is left behind; I could add artwork, rename the file & everything's fine. But once I tagged the rating or add director/actors = black screen & audio only.

iDentify is the way to go. Everything tested & works great.

W/o your help, my boys couldn't watch ParaNorman on any phone or tablet & that, my friends, would be a bad, bad thing.

thanks again
  6. macrumors 68000

Aug 10, 2008
    Glad you got your problem sorted

Never had any issues with Metax, but as it in no longer being developed I am thinking of trying identify also

quick question on it, when you use ratings, does it allow you to use UK ratings for films?, I don't mind if this is not automatic aslong as I don't have to use the US ratings
  7. macrumors newbie

Dec 11, 2012
    Try Meta Z

If you have a Mac and you are still using Meta X, download Meta Z. It's exactly the same as Meta X but is still being developed and updated. I like it better than Identify. I have not had any issues using Handbrake or adding metadata with Meta Z and adding to iTunes.
  8. macrumors newbie

Dec 22, 2012