Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shandyman

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Looks like in iTunes 12, books have been removed totally, only audiobooks section showing.

How do we import books to copy to iPad now, that have not been purchased under iTunes?! iBooks app does not appear to have the functionality.

I presume there is going to be an iBooks update for when Yosemite/iTunes 12 launches, but guessing until then, got to try another way?

Unless I'm missing something....?

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
iPad doesn't show up in iBooks in Yosemite.

In iTunes open your iPad, click on Books and choose which books you want to sync.

ScreenShot2014-08-23at73717AM_zps4f836f19.jpg

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
-Drag your books into iBooks
-Sync your books to your device in iTunes

Books are in a separate application, but iTunes recognizes your iBooks library when you sync. Nothing has changed other than instead of books being shown under a tab in iTunes, they are in a separate application.

shandyman

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
-Drag your books into iBooks

-Sync your books to your device in iTunes

Books are in a separate application, but iTunes recognizes your iBooks library when you sync. Nothing has changed other than instead of books being shown under a tab in iTunes, they are in a separate application.

Yes something else has been changed, no dragging individual books over easily like movies and songs.

----------

Look at post number #3.

That's not for dragging and dropping straight into the iPad like movies and songs.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I don't understand how you drag songs and movies directly into the iPad without first putting them into your library. The way I sync books is the same way I sync songs.

shandyman

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
They're in the iTunes library and when you click on them to drag, you get to drop them on the iPad. I used to be able to do the same with books, now I can't. This is the issue I'm looking to resolve.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
They're in the iTunes library and when you click on them to drag, you get to drop them on the iPad. I used to be able to do the same with books, now I can't. This is the issue I'm looking to resolve.

You are confused. Do you have Sync Books, All Books selected? If so then any book you drag into the iBook's library will be synced with your iPad. Same as dragging to iTunes except you drag it to iBooks instead. Why is this so hard to understand?

Now what is it you are looking for?

shandyman

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
iTunes 12 and iBooks

You are confused. Do you have Sync Books, All Books selected? If so then any book you drag into the iBook's library will be synced with your iPad. Same as dragging to iTunes except you drag it to iBooks instead. Why is this so hard to understand?

Now what is it you are looking for?

I don't want to have sync turned on. I want to drag whichever individual books from my library onto the iPad, just like my movies and books. It was quick and easy. I just did it with my mums iPad on her laptop with iTunes 11.

What you suggest is not the same as I cannot drag from the library to the iPad.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
My workaround on 10.9 was to drag the epub on the desktop, and drag it from the desktop to the iPad/iPhone in iTunes.

But I guess it should be possible to drag it directly in iTunes…

shandyman

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
My workaround on 10.9 was to drag the epub on the desktop, and drag it from the desktop to the iPad/iPhone in iTunes.

But I guess it should be possible to drag it directly in iTunes…

You can't do the first part anymore. The second part is also not possible.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
Yes the latest.
You have to got in the "On My Device" tab, select the "Books" item from the left column and drag the file to the table with the books list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.