iTunes 3 Ratings Poll

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AmbitiousLemon, Jul 31, 2002.

Do you use the iTunes 3 ratings for your songss?

1. I went through and rated all/most of my songs one day

3 vote(s)
  2. i have been rating my songs as they come up in my playlist

6 vote(s)
  3. occasionally i'll rate a song if it occurs to me

10 vote(s)
  4. i think i might rate them, but havent started yet

6 vote(s)
  5. i dont think i'll ever rate my mp3s

10 vote(s)
  1. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

Nov 28, 2001
    down in Fraggle Rock
    Just today i started adding ratings to songs as the come up on my itunes playlist. seems like a lot of trouble, but i figure if when i hear a good song i go ahead and mark it as such then eventually they will get in order.

But i was wondering how many of you have started using the ratings yet. I know most people thought it was a pretty stupid feature, but its been a couple weeks now so i was wondering if you guys had stated using it yet.
  2. SilvorX macrumors 68000

May 24, 2002
    'Toba, Canada
    i dont think i'dd rate my music, if its songs i dont like, hmm i dunno :p
  3. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    i think it all matters upon how many songs you have... I have about 70 songs on my hard drive so it wasn't that time consuming.....I normally wipeout the songs that start to irritate me...:)

it works great with the most rated playlist.
  4. kishba macrumors 6502a

Dec 11, 2001
    a berkeley student wrote some nifty applescripts to make ratings a little better for itunes3... he suggests using launch bar to make running these scripts easier

i use them a lot now and am slowly but surely rating my collection
  5. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2002
    Winter Park, FL
    It's a neat feature, but I like all of my songs and thus don't really need to rate them... I've been doing it as songs show up in my playlists, but so far all of my songs are getting between three and five stars (after all, why would I have songs that did not deserve such a rating on my hard drive?). I really like the smart playlists though :)

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Damn, why are you goona keep something that you do not like in your hard drive?

If I do not like the song I delet them, If I have to deal with it I place it in another folder (my songs, my girldfrien songs, 80's songs, etc).

The ratings are very useless to consider it as an upgrade.

Good upgrade would be to have and audio imput to synk iTunes to a real DJ and play the visuals without the Apple logo getting in the way!!!
  7. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2001
    Who needs ratings when you've got the most recently played and top 25 ratings?
  8. mac15 macrumors 68040

Dec 29, 2001
    Well I use mine heaps. I love it

I don't have much to say, but it gets annoying sometimes
  9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    My feelings exactly! My musical taste varies, too. One day I'll be listening to a specific genre and the next day I'm suddenly tired of it and I'll avoid it for a couple weeks. Unpredictability isn't reflected in ratings, so it's really useless to me. :p
  10. Geert macrumors 6502a

May 28, 2001
    Then iTunes would be the tool, not?
    I'm like that, I've got songs I listen for day after day, and suddenly I get bored of them and start playing some other songs, avoiding the other ones.
    If you whipe them of your HD, you have to put them back on if you decide to play them aigain.
    I have 'bout 1000 songs on my HD, not even half of my cd collection but anyway, that gives me the ease to change once a while without having to put them back.
    If you use playlists, you can set them to whatever you want.
    You can make a playlists like:
    add songs that haven't been played for ...
    any way you want, if you want to keep those songs you played over and over again aside for a while and have them quickly by hand if you decide to play them again.

I think that the playlists is an even better feature than the ratings-feature,
    although the rating feature gives you some more options when creating a playlist.
    oh, btw, I rate songs as they come up in my playlist.
  11. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    iTunes 3 has damaged my database quite a few times so now I keep a backup!

12. Beej macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2002
    Buffy's bedroom
    I rated every MP3 I have in my collection (~6 gig worth) except for the ones I don't really know... I have a couple of dance albums I got from somewhere and haven't really listened to yet.

I'd love to be able to play my MP3s according to their ratings, eg the 5-star tunes would be played 5 times more often than the 1-star tunes. (Does this feature already exist but I can't find it? It seems like an obvious feature to implement to me :))
  13. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I don't use the rating system and I probably won't. I'm still stuck on listening to the new CDs I got in the past few days. :p