iTunes 4.7.1 only allows 5 connections per day.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sharewaredemon, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Hi, I live in a residence in a university campus and all of my friends have iTunes as I convinced them to download it. Quite a community has grown during the course of the school year, and there are quite a few who really enjoy the sharing feature. Unfourtunalty I discovered that with the latest version of iTunes (4.7.1) instead of the limitations of connected users being 5 at a time. It is now 5 per day. This means that if you connect to someones music, then disconnect, and 4 other do that (there are 18 people on right now, but more than that in total) no one else will be able to connect to that person till the end of the day.

The feature of sharing is quite convienent when it comes to living in residence, especially when you want to show people some new band you've discovered and whatnot. I do not like this this new limitation, and I am wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of iTunes 4.7, or if they have a copy they can send me.

2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Go here. Where is says select Apple iTunes version, select 4.7. Download it. Problem solved!

3. Sharewaredemon thread starter macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Didn't work

It just sent me to the Apple.com/itunes site.

But I'm going to get a friend with a mac to send it to me. Is there still a way for me to do it on my own?

4. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Wow - this bites! I hadn't discovered the 5 limit yet. I imagine it's pressure from the record labels, but still...
    Grrr...

5. Sharewaredemon thread starter macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Yeah I think Apples idea of "sharing" is within the household, as opposed to over a huge network. I wonder though if this can be hacked, because my friend changed his max number of connections to 10 on the old version. I wonder if you can take away this new "feature" (limiation).

6. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Well, the "sharing" feature is supposed to be used at home (I guess). Isn't the maximum number of computers that can share purchased music limited to five too? In a household, you'd need more than five computers to actually discover such limit...

The sharing feature wasn't meant for college, offices, etc...

Not that I'll ever go over 5 computers sharing via iTunes anyway, but I imagine a few househoulds bumping into that limitation every few days. Perhaps Apple will ramp it up to, say, 10 computers? (Five is already high for a single family IMO).

7. Sharewaredemon thread starter macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

While I agree with you're points, and I have thought of them myself, it is still a bother for my environment.

8. dotnina macrumors 6502a

This is interesting, thanks for pointing it out. I don't share my music too often, but I'm just very curious about this:

Have you noticed if it's 5 connections per day, period? Or rather, is it connections from exactly 5 users, for an unlimited number of times throughout the day?

[In other words, if Bob was connected to your iTunes, and you went offline, but then came back online later so that Bob could connect to your iTunes again -- would that count as 1 or 2 connections?]

9. Sharewaredemon thread starter macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

It is 5 users with unlimited connections. So Bob could connect at the beggining of the day, and then would be guaranteed a connection for the rest of the day.

10. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

11. Sharewaredemon thread starter macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I don't disagree, but for the way the people in my residence have grown accoustomed to being able to access their music from anywhere in the res it can be a nuisance.

12. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Well, that "feature" doesn't sound Apple-like (hey, let's bug down our users!)

Looks like another feature implemented by Apple, courtesy of "your friendly folks at the RIAA" (tm). :D

13. Sharewaredemon thread starter macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Just incase you wanted to know to get a tm as an actual character, hold option and press 2
    as this
    ™

Oh yeah, and I think you are right here, as maybe the RIAA feels that people might find I way to pirate the music from each other and turn places like my residence into little P2Ps.

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

There are easier ways to pirate music than to try and crack iTunes :rolleyes:

If indeed it is the RIAA, it's too bad Apple needed to make such concessions to them (probably as a part of continuing iTMS operations). And it's almost worse that Apple didn't mention that part in the upgrade (I haven't installed the upgrade yet).

15. Sharewaredemon thread starter macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Yeah the fact that it wasn't mentioned in the update bothers me too. As I was having trouble connecting to my music from other peoples dorm rooms and I didn't figure out why untill I installed the new version on someone elses computer.

16. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I wondered why it was saying it could not accept any more connections at this time...... its is really bad... because families tend to have more than one computer...

Lukily I've kept the older setup files!

Time to block my bro & sister from downloading itunes i think

17. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Wow

Thanks for the heads up. It really does not bother me too much except for the few occations where I connect and disconnect several times a day (bathroom breaks) on campus. Besides, if I understand correctly a person can only listen to others music and are not able to copy them over the network, right? or wrong?

Like I said it does not really bother me too much.

18. Sharewaredemon thread starter macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Which is why Apple set the limit to 5 people connecting each day, and this goes by computer, not connections, so you can connect and disconnect as many times as you want from one computer. Unless 5 people have connected before you.

19. Sharewaredemon thread starter macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Correct you can only listen, and not copy. Also these bathroom breaks will not matter, as if you have gained a connection, at one point during the day you will be guaranteed a connection throughout the day.

20. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

There's no "option" key on my keyboard. :D

The fact that colleges use iTunes as huge personnal jukeboxes might have something to do with it... (next thing you know, they'll have us implented with radio receivers and music will be radio only... Don't have the license for the song? You won't hear it!)

21. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

You have more than five computers with iTunes installed at home? :confused:

22. Sharewaredemon thread starter macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Oh, my, I'm so sorry :D

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

:confused:
    Windows, I take it? We'll pray for you... :p

Although I haven't hit a limitation like that yet, it is still a pain know it is there. I hope I don't have to deal with it... or that Apple changes it....

~mutters something about the RIAA~

24. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

well this is going to hurt itunes here at my school. Part of the reason it was spreading was people like accessing some of the larger libairy to listen to the music.

I can only see the people on my subnetwork (which pretty much is just my dorm) but it still grew from about 4 of us to a 8-16 people depending on who gets on. Plus there are people who I know who dont share.

A vasit majoring of them dont know how to download music from otherpeople libary so I dont see that being a problem.

Well Apple thank you for becoming even more like the RIAA and doing what ever they want you to do.

25. 3Memos macrumors 6502

They more than likely were pressured by the RIAA to change the limits.