iTunes 4.7.1 Sucks - My Rant

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by raddsigns, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raddsigns macrumors member

<rant>
    I have had nothing but headaches and mental meltdowns since installing iTunes 4.7.1

I can barely access the music store, takes at least 3 tries (very similar to Safari trying to access the web - no problems at all with Firefox), and if I do get access and decide to buy a song, it will take another 10-15 tries to actually be able to download it without getting the following error:

"There was an error downloading your purchased music. The network connection could not be made."

Thing is, I'm on the network/internet right now posting this with no problems while iTunes continues to be less than pleasant.

I used to recommend iTunes to all my friends, especially my peecee friends, now I'm almost sorry I've done so as they are getting the same errors.

This is ridiculous that I can buy music, and they charge my card, but I'm not able to actually get the music I've paid for.

I just can't believe that it's gone on like this for weeks (since the 10.3.8 update) with absolutely no fix. Unacceptable.

</rant>

2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Honestly, i don't know what to write to this. Besides my iTunes Music Store works. Yes, i am on 10.3.8. I don't like how sometimes when something goes wrong people say something like "i regret ever switching" like Apple is perfect. It may be your network. or some port is blocked.The best thing to do is Call Apple. They will refund your money and help you out..

kyle

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Don't assume that it's iTunes 4.7.1 etc.
    Mine runs fine on Panther, dual 1.42 G4, ADSL, shuffle, blah-blah...

It could be something wrong with your installation.

4. raddsigns thread starter macrumors member

I have no regrets . . .

Maybe you mis-understood me. I have no regrets about being an Mac user - I would have it no other way.

It's just frustrating to me that everything worked flawless, and then one day everything just kind of works, and the only change was the 10.3.8 update. Once I made this update, Safari started acting buggy & iTunes doesn't work correctly. But that's it - everything else is rock solid.

I find it hard to believe that it could be a blocked port when after trying to download music on the fourth or fifth try - it will work. I just have to keep trying to check for purchased music - and eventually it works. But it's just such a pain - to the point that I've considered not buying from the Music Store anymore.

I love my Macs, I love Panther, and let's face it - I'd never go back to using a PC - no matter what. I just wish that EVERYTHING worked - and worked consistently. That's all - and I don't think that's too much to ask. I would be able to take it better if it didn't work at all - but it does sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't.

I know Apple is like everyone else (to an extent) and there are always going to be minor issues and problems to work through - it's still technology (I love technology) - and it's great - when it works. I know Apple is not some magical solution to never experience another system problem again - like I said - I'm just frustrated and that was a rant - just trying to let off some steam - that's all - nothing more - nothing less.

I have contacted Apple and they were not really any help - they refunded the money on the songs that I wasn't able to download, but I really like being able to purchase songs, so what I really wanted was for that to be fixed, not to get my money back and have the same issues.

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Archive and reinstall 10.3.7. That's what I did after 10.3.8 to fix the problems I was having. Took about an hour and Panther remembered all my settings. Quite slick, actually! :)

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The age old solution to everything - have you tried repairing permissions?

7. raddsigns thread starter macrumors member

I have repaired permissions, did so before and after the update, and I've run DiskWarrior - nothing has solved the problem though.

I was hoping not to have to archive and reinstall but it seems I'm left with nothing else to try.

Thanks.

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Where are your friends located? Are they on the same network that you are? If you're all having problems, and you're all located in the same physical location, perhaps there's a NETWORK problem (as indicated in the error message) that is preventing a good connection to iTMS. (Basically, I am seconding what Kyle said above... if a problem occurs on more than one machine, and ESPECIALLY if they are running different OSes, the problem is more likely environmental than machine-specific.)

9. raddsigns thread starter macrumors member

I wish we were on the same network that would explain everything, however we are not on the same network, not even the same ISP - same geographic location - maybe it's something in Minnesota - I don't know. I have other friends who have no problems at all. I think I'm just going to have to do a re-install - as much as I really don't want to go through the hassle.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Since you've mentioned that Safari also has a problem and since, iTunes and Safari are using the same code to access the web, is there a hack (ad blocker, etc.) you've installed for Safari that doesn't work with 10.3.8?

11. MattPat macrumors newbie

I can safely tell you it's not Minnesota... I'm in RI, and having the exact same problem. I'm not sure exactly, but I'm pretty sure it started right around when I upgraded to 10.3.8, or iTunes 4.7.1... either way, I'd tend to think it was something wrong in a minor version update. Anyone have any ideas?

12. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

The only time I had a problem with the store was arouond christmas time, where there was a big 'rush' of people redeeming their gift cards and downloading. took me quite a few times to get the songs I wanted.

But, iTMS has been working beautifully for me since then. i've been downloading at 320+kb/s, and everything has been smooth.

sometimes, the iTMS will have a hiccup or a problem, but remember, if you dont get the song you paid for, go up to Advanced -> Check for Purchased Music. 99% of the time, that will begin the download of your undownloaded, paid for, tracks

13. Cordless_Drill macrumors regular

Cordless_Drill

My 15" al powerbook, running 10.3.8, hates iTunes 4.7.1.

Store won't work. Won't play protected songs. I used desinstaller to take it off, then reinstalled. Same problems. I no longer use iTunes on this box. I'm hoping the next update fixes this issue.

I still use iTunes on my FP iMac running 10.2.8. No problems there.

14. raddsigns thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm still having the problem - and I now know it's specific to the 10.3.8/iTunes 4.7 update.

I have an external drive with a bootable backup of my system and it is running 10.3.4 with iTunes 4.5 (although you can't buy music anymore) - it will connect and fly through the music store like nobodys business.

Like I've said before - none of this happened until this last update. If I do buy a song in the iTMS, I have to use the 'Advanced/Check For Purchased Music' option about 6-8 times before it will actually download the song I've purchased. Super annoying - so I'm back to just buying CD's.

15. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I have the exact same problems with my PM and PB. You are correct, the problems started occuring around the 10.3.8 and iTunes 4.7.1 timeframe. I talked to Apple about the problem and they mentioned that the problem may be in my router. So... If I plug the PB directly into the modem, I don't have a problem. BTW: I have a Netgear 802.11g router. I still think the problem lies in the software though. I have no problems with my PC, it flys through the music store.

16. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

A small, meaningless, data point. I use iTunes (version 4.7.1.30) on a PC and don't have any problems connecting to Music Store or downloading.

It /is/ slow (takes maybe 30 seconds) to mount my iPod when I connect it, but otherwise it works fine.

17. raddsigns thread starter macrumors member

Well as it turns out - I can access the Music Store with no problems on my PC as well, but on my PM, PB, and my wife's iBook - none of them can access the store without a huge hassle.

I am using a Netgear Router, as well as an AirPort Express for my wireless signal - but bypassing the router doesn't help here - and like I said - it worked great until the update, and if I change my startup disk to my old clone of 10.4 the music store works just fine - so to me that says it has to be software related and not hardware.

I guess I'll just wait for an update and hope it fixes the problem.

18. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I've seen this problem. I can be on the net surfing, and sometimes I try to enter the iTMS, and it can't be reached. Sometimes i have to try 2 or 3 times, but in the end, it usually lets me in.

19. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I've had the same issues you mentioned in your orignal post, and it's funny you mentioned that you have a netgear router. I beleive my issues began when I installed my netgear router last month. I have gotten some feedback back from Apple Support but I haven't had a chance to look into it.
    They provided some commonly used ports/sites/etc...used by Apple that I'm going to check and make sure they aren't being blocked.

In addition the the iTMS issue, I have also had the Safari issues...certain sites (like my bank) that I sued to be able to access no problem now often run into issues. If I use a different browser though, I have no problems.

Hopefully tonight or tomorrow night I'll have time to look into this. I'll post back with any updates.

20. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Well... that's 3 people with Netgear routers having the same problem. Hmm... a pattern is developing. :(

21. MictXP macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. I've searched google but came up with nothing. I've never had a problem with Safari.

Someone said iTunes and Safari use the same code to get online. Does that mean that using tweaked weddev kit would somehow iTunes? And if that is the case, why does Safari work 100% of the time and iTunes work about 10% of the time? It still works....when it feels like it.

I too am on a Netgear Router. Wireless -- WGR614V4, firmware upgraded about three weeks ago. Using the wired ports and setting my laptop to DMZ host seems to help the problem, but I don't think this should be necessary.

22. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Archive and Install then redownload iTunes 4.7 (unless because of the hack Apple made it 4.7.1 or later... I think its 4.7 or later though) as 4.7.1 only does stuff with the iPod shuffle (if u have one then use 471)

It seems like its only your computer... as mentioned, remove all hacks from Safari...

Also, logout of your account and log back in/create a new account and use your old songs ONLY After you Archive and install...

Great OSX feature, btw. I wish XP had archive and install.

23. dewolfxy macrumors newbie

I have a NetGear 802.11g WGR614 router, and I have problems with iTunes too. The problems are on two different aluminum powerbooks (wireless or wired), and also on a mac mini (connected via ethernet). Sporadic connections, timeouts, problems downloading songs, etc.

If iTunes works through HTTP, which I thought it does, then i don't see why the router should matter. Other HTTP traffic is fine.

I hope it's something that Apple can just fix, because it's really a pain.

24. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

That's the exact router I have as well. Hmm... :(

25. dtravis7 macrumors newbie

Make that 4 or more people. It's a Netgear problem of sorts. About a half a year ago I had to install AOL 9 on OSX to test something for a friend and it would not connect. Not at all. I had just installed the Netgear MR814V2. Did some googleing and found that AOL for OSX requires Multicasting in the router to work and that most Netgear routers either did not have Multicasting or it did not work properly. Went back and tried 6 other Linksys routers, all different model's and the problem was gone. I put back the Netgear after I was done as it has better security than the Linksys's that I owned at that time.

Well jump ahead a few month to the 10.3.8 update. Mail will not sent SMTP, Itunes store will not load, Safari pauses. Well I remembered the AOL problem and got wondering. So took out the Netgear and installed a new Linksys with SPI and DDOS protection and the problems were gone. Tried all my older Linksys routers and no problem. On the new Linksys I am able to toggle Multicasting off and on. Turn it off problems come back, turn it on which is default and problems in 10.3.8 are gone. So they did things to 10.3.8 Networking that requires multicasting.

I read on MacFixit another solution that works for now, in OSX Networking Manually input your DNS numbers that the router assigns. People report that seems to solve it also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.