iTunes 4.7 Changes/Enhancements

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by atomiton, Oct 26, 2004.

1. atomiton macrumors regular

• FOR PC:
    • New dotted album art placeholder (i think this i New)
    • Find Duplicate Songs (HUGE!)
    • New Ipod Menu
    • MINIMIZE TO SYSTEM TRAY!!! (HUGE! FINALLY!)
    • photo stuff
    • Mini-mode on Top

2. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

about time that added the minmized to system try to PC considering all the other major Media players including WMP have been able to do it for several years now. And it was a complained about it since day 1 pc side

3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

2.14 GB duplicate files.
    2.14 GB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bugger me sideways!!!!!!!!!!

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

How do people get so large a number of duplicates? Is iTunes abit flaky when it comes to storage?

6. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

basicly. The files are slightly diffence so apple just makes a new entry in it. I only had 0.5gigs of dupicis but I been really picky and have been cleanign them out on my own for a while so it was just among the final few that I had left. I have removed 2-3 gigs of dupicites over time though

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well nearly all of my duplicates are the result of compilations because say i have a greatest hits cd, and the original cd in which the song appeared, iTunes never realized this was a duplicate before, so i have two, but at least now i can get rid of the duplicates

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

no duplicates, then again only 1.2gb of music...love the taskbar minimizer dealie!!!!

9. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

I actually posted a new thread for this, but I thought I might get a better response here.... (my apologies to any Macrumors administrators upest by that).

One of the new features in 4.7 is "artist alert." It's supposed to let you know when music from your favorite artists is added to the catalog. I can't find this feature anywhere, including iTunes help section. Has anybody else found it?

P.S. The thread I started for this is in software discussion.

10. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

35 duplicates taking up 140 MB of space.....

Not bad for a library with 5,000+ songs. :D

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hmmm well i still have 97 'duplicates' but they are all different versions of the songs :D

12. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm... How are you guys getting the new version? Are you downloading it from Apple's website? 'Cuz when I check software update, it doesn't show up. :confused:

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah its not in software update for some reason, i got it from apple's site

14. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

yeah its not on software update yet... just go to apple.com/itunes

15. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

ditto.

what is this 'dotted artwork' feature?

16. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

Does nobody know about the "Artist Alert"??? Surely I haven't stumped the Macrumors community...

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

As a new PC user iam very happy that i just downloaded itunes for windows. seems to work great now if i can only get iphoto for windows....ill have my games ,music and photo's. Apple should sell a ilife package for window users.

18. abc123 macrumors 6502

i have a few cds that have the exact same song as other cds but as i'm one for listening to albums all the way through i can't bring myself to delete most of my doubles.
    in the next version it would be awesome to see some sort of meta-info so you could associate one song with several albums and have that information follow over to my G3 ipod.

but it isn't going to happen :(

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i find no mention of this "artist alert" on the iTunes page, where did you hear about it?

20. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

It's on the Apple site, listed among the "feature" of iTunes. There are so many different sites, I can't find it again.

But... I finally answered my own question. If you go to an album in iTMS, there is now a link that says "Artist Alert" It's right above the "Tell a Friend" button. It's so simple, that I overlooked. Aren't I the ******* now... :p

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

well thank you for letting us know where it is, because i will probably use it now :D

22. atomiton thread starter macrumors regular

dunno if it's a FEATURE... but the "drag Album Artwork Here" text used to be surrounded by a solid rounded square... and is now a dashed rounded square.

i'm too lazy for screen shots.

23. garybUK Guest

garybUK

That minimise to tray feature is the biggest thing for me. I have a 530 album collection on iTunes on a server in my back room running on Windows 2003 server, this is shared and allows me and my whole family to access music instantly on any mac / pc in the house (we have wireless laptops) so my mum can listen to a album in say the kitchen or outside when its sunny... very good system! but it has always ran in the forewindow or minimised to the task bar which is annoying.

Also one thing i have noticed, that i didn't notice before, in the sharing preference pane it tells you how many people are connected, not noticed that before.

24. atomiton thread starter macrumors regular

i agree with that! I'm loving the minimize... sometimes, I'm forgetting it's even open...

saying that... for GOODNESS sakes... it was silly/stupid for Apple not to put it in in the first place.

Not very intelligent coders or deliberate cripple-ware... which pisses me off.

Although, a better port to the windows environment (faster) would've been nice.

25. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

the thing is, on macs, it never has that minimize feature anyway. that tiny tiny mini form we've always had is the minimize to tray on macs. the reason for this is because the mac desktop is a much more dynamic workplace, so something that small can be tucked away at the corner and not become soemthing anonying, and still be within reach.

another reason is that there are 3rd party plugins to allow for easy control of itunes. one of em puts controls on the menu bar, the other simply gives me keyboard shortcuts (the one i use). :)