iTunes 4.8 to 5

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zap2, Sep 11, 2005.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

My brother just update his iTunes to iTunes 5( from 4.8) he did not get his music or playlist in iTunes 5, so he imported his songs from his music folder so he has all the songs but not any playlists. This did not happen to me, or his other friend. Any idea what is wrong?

Thanks

Zap( o and he is running a iMac G4 256mbs of ram( i know he needs more) 1.25ghz

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The playlist info is kept in the iTunes Library data file which should be in the iTunes folder in the Music folder by default. If your brother has the old version of this file, plus the exact same file structure for all his music in 5.0 as he did in 4.8 then he will be able to simply replace his new data file with the old one and everything will be fine.

However, it is very unlikely this will work. Generally when you reimport songs, there are slight differences in the file structure (where iTunes keeps the songs) and the old data file become corrupted. If this is the case, simply deleting the file will get him back to where he started when he first installed 5.0.

Sorry this isn't very helpful. :eek:

3. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

not really ;)

or should i say suck it up and make new playlists?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew