iTunes 4.8 vs. windows media player 10

Discussion in 'Community' started by poundsmack, May 30, 2005.

1. poundsmack macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2005
    i have been a long time windows user and a few years now mac user as well. i was wondering what people who use both think baout them in a comparison. so what do you think. personly i lke windows media player 10 better, as much as i hate to admit it.
  2. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Cape Breton Island

Though I don't know Window's media player very well, from what I've seen, on a usability standpoint, it's not as idiot proof as iTunes, yet it seems that if you know what you are doing it could be a good program.
    That having been said, I love iTunes and wouldn't want to use Media player if I had a PC in the first place.
  3. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Why? What features does it have that you particularly like that are lacking or not as well implemented in iTunes?

You're likely to get a better discussion going if you tell us why you think something rather than just giving your verdict without the reasoning. Having said that, I'm not sure how many MR members are as familiar with WMP10 on Windows as they are with iTunes. I use a PC at work so feel competent to comment on XP in general, Office etc on the PC but since I'm at work, I don't use WMP10 there very often.
  4. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    I have Windows, and iTunes (4.6, because 4.8 doesn't like Windows) may be the best program for the platform.

WMP10 is a horrible application
  5. fistful macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    I used WMP before I switched about a year ago, it's not horrible but the biggest thing I hated about it which has now been remedied in WMP10 was the lack of mp3 ripping support. I kind of like how WMP10 looks style wise except for all the buttons and all this extra junk it has going on. I want something simple for navigating through my music collection which iTunes delivers on.
  6. cwedl macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2003
    Windows Media Player 10 or infact any windows media player from 7 has been bad in my opinion. I get confused where my music is, which tab is it under! in fact two tabs.
  7. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
  8. asif786 macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2004
    London, UK.
    i love the gloss factor of windows media player 10. i was using it today to watch a drm'd stream (doesnt work on wmp mac cos it's terrible.) anyway, the interface isn't userfriendly but it is certainly more glossy than itunes, and i think we need that sometimes (as opposed to iTunes' stern brushed metal look)

see screenshots below for more info..

glossy/aqua tabs

general overview

as i said, itunes performs better and get's the job done, but i definitely like the look of wmp. very nice. :)
  9. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    Personally I think it's ugly: bloated, over-the-top and unnecessary.
    iTunes may be "stern" but what it does is get out of the way as much as possible to the actual content, which, IMO, is the most important thing.
  10. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    Based on those screen shots, WMP looks OK. I wouldn't call it "ugly" so much, but it is bloated. The aqua tabs are too big. And the UI looks confusing. It has potential, but it has to be implemented better that the current design, IMO.

IMO, iTunes has a much better UI.
  11. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

May 12, 2005
    I really don't like how Windows Media Player pretty much forces you to look a visualization 24/7. I mean seriously, come on, I just want to play my music and make it sound good, I don't and no one else needs pretty visuals running all the time that just bog down the whole system. Plus in WMP you can't even rip mp3's! Thats ridiculous of you can't rip and mp3, its pretty much the most popular music format and you can't even rip it!? That's so stupid! Who in the world would want to pay extra just to rip mp3's whenever you can download iTunes for free that can do everything WMP can, it just can't rip windows format. This really pisses me off.

12. poundsmack thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2005
    u know u can turnt he visualizations off in preferences :)
  13. MOFS macrumors 65816

Feb 27, 2003
    Durham, UK
    Are you comparing WinMP for Windoze and iTunes for Macs or both for PC? My experience of WinMP for both is that the PC version is considerably better than the Mac version, wheras iTunes is pretty much identical on both - even down to the menus. WinMP is only better if you like skinning it - I mean, even the way you name the files is obscene.. :eek:
  14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Edit->Spelling->Check Spelling as you Type
  15. poundsmack thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2005
    hookt onn fonix rilee werkt fer mee

and i was talking about iTunes on OSX compared to WinMP on windows
  16. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    I have iTunes 4.8 running on my Win2000 machine, don't have any problems with it.

I tried the original WMP9 and it hosed my system. Had to re-install Windows. Awhile later, I tried it again after a few Service Packs. Seemed ok, but I hated how it took over my system. And Explorer kept crashing on certain media files. I'd like to try WMP10, but it's only for XP and I don't plan on upgrading any time soon. We have XP at work, I'm not real fond of it. I use a program called Media Player Classic for most of my media files. It emulates WMP 6.4 (the best of them IMO) and can play all the WMP7/8/9/Divx codecs I throw at it. But I still use iTunes as a Jukebox.

I've heard that WMP 10 is just 9 with some "pretty" colors and a couple of new features, so I doubt I'm missing much.