Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Well... I must say there was absolutely no apparent differences from 4.7.1 (30) to 4.8 (31). Really a non-event... :rolleyes:

Now, where are my playlist folders and ability to use aliases for the same version of songs on different albums...??? :mad:

Edit: And no iTMS Norway, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden and Australia/New Zealand... bugger... :(

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
But will they play video

bobx2001 said:
this only thing i am looking forward for it new ipods. most likely tomorrow.

But will they play video? I hope so... I just got the back of my iPod signed by Moby yesterday so I need a new one:)

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
bobx2001 said:
this is my problem as well. i drag a 600 mb movie into itunes, and itunes tired to copy that 600mb file into my music folder, why? it was already in my movie folder, why consolidate movies with music, what one earth is going on.

now i have disabled itunes music organizing so i can view movies. this makes no sense. this really sucks.

this only thing i am looking forward for it new ipods. most likely tomorrow.

edit: great it just crashed on me now, i am not impressed at all.

I was gonna post that too. I cannot even specify that I don't want videos in my music folder.
What the hell is wrong with that?

My guess is that this feature wasn't supposed to be in there. Because this all makes no sense.

snowdog

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2004
Visby, Sweden
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Well... I must say there was absolutely no apparent differences from 4.7.1 (30) to 4.8 (31). Really a non-event... :rolleyes:

Now, where are my playlist folders and ability to use aliases for the same version of songs on different albums...??? :mad:

Edit: And no iTMS Norway, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden and Australia/New Zealand... bugger... :(

A Swedish newspaper has a story that iTMS is going live tomorrow in Sweden.

http://di.se/Index/Nyheter/2005/05/09/143184.htm

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
iSwift said:
I'd love to see someway you could download the music videos and NOT PAY FOR THEM! Of course that probably won't happen.....oh well. :(

You can already download music videos from iTunes and not pay for them.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
iSwift said:
The title of this is stupid, I know, but I am really looking forward to iTunes 5.0. I read a rumor a while back about Apple putting on a lot of new features. Any ideas or thoughts on new features? I'd love to see someway you could download the music videos and NOT PAY FOR THEM! Of course that probably won't happen.....oh well. :(

There won't be an iTunes 5. Where there will, it just won't be called iTunes anymore. They haven't quite decided on a name yet, but it is changing due to the comeing movie download service(using h.264). There isn't anything definate about an Apple portible video playing device and possible and Airtunes for movies.

qwerty007

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2003
i'm running 10.4 and it didn't show up in my software update. did anyone else have that problem and if so is it just a 10.4 problem or what?

altair

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2002
Seattle, WA
Has anyone found any reference of iTunes 4.8's ability to play movies from apple?

Im starting to think this was included but not meant for people to use just yet.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
I would bloody love it if Apple introduced video iPods and a Movie download service, be it standard def or high definition. I think this pretty much confirms it, but the implementation is awful. If Apple are going to integrate movies into iTunes they need a seperate movie section or something at least.
Thing is, i just know if Apple bring out a movie download service, you*Americans will get it way before any of us Europeans get it.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
altair said:
Has anyone found any reference of iTunes 4.8's ability to play movies from apple?

Im starting to think this was included but not meant for people to use just yet.

Probably a half way implemented beta feature meant for verson 5.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
it doesn't seem to turn up on the software update, have to do it from the site.

I pitch in iMedia. Audio & Video, but it better be done better than this!

Google for scripts, and you will find one that can get the music videos from the iTMS

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
O and A said:
so far i only got it to play quicktime files nothing else. divx files mpeg files avis dont' work.

using windows box

Windows quicktime doesn't play Dixv to begin with. On windows the codecs is for WMP, and for Mac it's a quicktime codec.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
qwerty007 said:
i'm running 10.4 and it didn't show up in my software update. did anyone else have that problem and if so is it just a 10.4 problem or what?

Give it time young Padawan, it sometimes takes a bit longer to come through Software Update.

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
qwerty007 said:

I also have 10.4 and also cannot see it in Software Update. So I can confirm you're not alone, we just need someone with Panther to confirm whether they downloaded it via Software Update or manually.

Vanilla

drackett

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2005
As this is still iTunes I see a future where songs downloaded from the music store have music videos attached (the song is in essence a movie file with a high quality sound track.) I think this is a very possible scenario from the way this new feature works. Some reasoning: Double clicking on a movie doesn't open it in a new window or even bring up a player. It's as if the movie is secondary to its sound track. This way, you could have a file that will play like any other song most of the time, but if you were to want to see the video, you could just press the full screen button (or see it playing where the album art usually is.)

plus, this would help apple stay ahead of the pack in the downloading scene, while giving them another outlet to advertise H.264. (it could also help them start testing downloaded video to see if people will download it, paving the way to an online Movie Store?)

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
Fredstar said:
I would bloody love it if Apple introduced video iPods and a Movie download service, be it standard def or high definition. I think this pretty much confirms it, but the implementation is awful. If Apple are going to integrate movies into iTunes they need a seperate movie section or something at least.
Thing is, i just know if Apple bring out a movie download service, you*Americans will get it way before any of us Europeans get it.

I'll bet it's more likely that it will be a streaming solution similar to AirTunes)but for movies) and if they do make a protable video device, don't look for an iPod video so much, since it's curenntly the complelty wrong shape and form factor.

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
Notice how the videos play in the album art window. I can't help but think that the iPod photo displays album art. Maybe we are one step closer to an iPod video?

O and A

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New York City
iSwift said:
The title of this is stupid, I know, but I am really looking forward to iTunes 5.0. I read a rumor a while back about Apple putting on a lot of new features. Any ideas or thoughts on new features? I'd love to see someway you could download the music videos and NOT PAY FOR THEM! Of course that probably won't happen.....oh well. :(

I would expect to see a 5.0 or new app with the introduction of a new ipod. something like a relatively drastic makeover of the ipod now maybe even ability to play video...however i odn't exect to see that till next year. smaller larger capacity hard drives...lower power chipsets. better battery performance with smaller battery and such.

definately a year away at least in my opinion.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Brandon Sharitt said:
There won't be an iTunes 5. Where there will, it just won't be called iTunes anymore. They haven't quite decided on a name yet, but it is changing due to the comeing movie download service(using h.264). There isn't anything definate about an Apple portible video playing device and possible and Airtunes for movies.

That's a bold claim. I still feel like a movie download service (especially using h.264) is a long way off and iTunes has almost become a brand in itself, similar to the iPod. I can't see them moving away from that quickly.

Brandon Sharitt said:
There isn't anything definate about an Apple portible video playing device and possible and Airtunes for movies.

Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Jun 24, 2004
even more good news. .avi files are not supported. this update is nothing impressive at all. the itunes dev team spend half an hour last night add QT movie playback APIs (or whatever) into itunes.

lets wait for a real update.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
altair said:

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Pretty sure its been enabled by accident in iTunes 4.8 and its meant to be for iTunes 5 along with new widescreen HD iPods. Steve did say back in Jan this was going to be the year of High-Def didn't he. ;)

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Hmmm. And I should care why? A thought. How about instead of stuffing all this misc junk into iTunes that they focus on. Oh I don’t know. Maybe the MUSIC PLAYBACK EXPERIENCE?!?
I’ve seen lists on various Mac sites as long as my arm, and I’ve got LONG arms, with requested features. All good features all features that would make using iTunes simpler. How about it Apple? Stop throwing us a bone and how about a thick juicy prime rib steak for once? How about this? You really can't use iTunes for quick and dirty audio playback because it keeps adding new items to the dbase. Once a week I have to go in and clean out those entries. It would be nice if they had a locked function that allowed you to make iTunes act like a audio player instead of a jukebox. Just a thought. One of many. iTunes is a good piece of software but its far from perfect and sure as heck deserves more then another coat of paint.

*shrugs* Personally I don’t care. I’ve got my Pocket PC and my cell phone. I don’t need calendar or contacts on my iPod but that’s me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.