iTunes 4.9 erases playlists?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by NatronB, Jul 9, 2005.

1. NatronB macrumors regular

So I installed iTunes 4.9 onto my machine and I was shocked that when I rebooted my machine my playlists were gone. Thankfully I have another system and music library on my external HD. When I startup from that drive, I get my old playlists (under iTunes 4.8). Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks in advance,

-Nate

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I didn't have a problem.

Did it create a Previous iTunes Library file or something to similar effect though? There have been problems of updating iTunes and getting a new data file which in effect deletes playlists and settings but can be fixed by ditching the new file and renaming the old one to what the new one was called. :)

3. NatronB thread starter macrumors regular

iTunes 4.9....

What? Where does this new file reside?

Thanks,

-Nate

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There might not necessarily be a new file but for the record, it'd be found at Music/iTunes, I'm assuming.

I just checked mine and the update created a "Previous Library" folder within which was the "Previous iTunes Library". I'm guessing that if you rename this (take out "Previous" and put it in the Music/iTunes folder, you'll get your playlists back. :)

5. Cvstos macrumors member

I had the same problem, but it was rather trivial to re-import everything. I did need to re-create my playlists, but the only one I listen to with any regularity was my Drive Mix, and it was past due for some freshening.