Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
I won't post details here because macrumors is a place where we should be discouraging trading, especially when it has potential to make apple look bad.

basically it turns out the process is exceedingly easy. iTunes sharing is nothing more than an http server on another port with a small script. very lame.

[pudge@bourque pudge]$ curl http://10.0.1.132:03689/databases/32/items/1104.mp3?session-id=20570 > file.mp3
_ _ % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Curr.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Dload Upload Total Current Left Speed
100 11.0M 100 11.0M 0 0 3071k 0 0:00:03 0:00:03 0:00:00 2818k

there is already a small app to easily download people's libraries. it works. it is simple. it is a sad day.

security through obscurity that isn't even obscure...

*note: i think it would be nice if we didn't reveal the source of the software...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: iTunes 4 Sharing CIRCUMVENTED!!!

heh... you can discuss the ideas behind it all.

just actual trading, discussion of trading specific files is discouraged.

So, I guess they are just streaming the data... as would be expected.

arn

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
i guess i just thought they would try to cover their asses a little more... that's all

there is a legal side that i really have no idea about but it can't be good from any viewpoint...

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
go go go, arn has given the word.

what are the secrets behind it? :D

Note: Don't mention a specific persons sharing server or files because at Macrumors that is a no no.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
oh heck, i think this is going to get big. really big. even after/if apple culls it. bigger than iCommune ever could because anyone running iTunes 4 has the capability to share....

the app is here: http://www.etek.chalmers.se/~lernvall/itdlgui2.tgz

eat your heart out boys and girls.

*note: i feel dirty posting that url. the obvious simplicity of the details is in my first post with the terminal copy and paste.

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
i wonder how this will affect the music store. and potential agreements between apple and the music industry.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
hmmm, i want to do a test.

has anyone bought music from the iTunes music store and sharing it in their library? i want to see if i can download it and then convert it to aiff

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by beatle888
i wonder how this will affect the music store. and potential agreements between apple and the music industry.

shouldn't do anything.

Sure, you can copy a protected file... but you still can't play it.

arn

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by arn
shouldn't do anything.

arn

Wondered about that. Still, if this gets out, and it will, it's going to make Apple look pretty bad-- the software designed to cure MP3 piracy actually helps it along? I hope Apple can do something to fix this before it makes people lose faith--

btw am i the only one unable to get it to connect to any server? i'm doing it for experimental purposes of course... just curious...

pnw

melchior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 17, 2002
i guess at least the AAC drm works. that's something. i could download the file but not play it. i wonder if that will be circumvented....

and and by the way paul, just put the servername/ip address in the connect bar. no daap:// or :3689

just: 127.0.0.1

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by melchior
and and by the way paul, just put the servername/ip address in the connect bar. no daap:// or :3689

just: 127.0.0.1

duh, thank you :) i didn't even think about that...

pnw

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well this isnt good for apple, all my thoughts about buying legal music is slowly diminishing, dont give in dont give in.

iJon

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
whatever. the music store isnt targeted at those who would pirate things for the sake of getting free stuff. its targeted at those who have been forced to pirate because the record companies have been sitting on their asses when it comes to digital content. i am one of the latter, as i think most average users are. there will always be the pirates trying to figure out a new and improved way to screw everyone out of money. its the american way. this isn't security thru obscurity, its just making things a pain in the ass to do. that is a major deterrent...especially for mac users.

Wraithe

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2003
The Sky is falling! The Sky is...no, wait, there it is....

Man, I'm amazed at you people...no, wait, no I'm not, this is an online forum on a rumours site. :)

C'mon, this is the same Company (Apple) that shipped (and is still shipping) a MP3 player that had as it's "piracy protection" what: Hidden folders? Bwahahahahah!

If you think the guys at Apple aren't aware of this, you're delusional (IMO).

Do I think think this is going to get reported as some "breaking of their system"? Hell no. You still can't read the DRM'ed files from the iTMS, so who's gonna care? Get a grip people, and enjoy the "feature". :)

Now, mind you, it certainly might disappear if some label execs get their dockers in a bunch, but as long as it's not providing access to the DRM'ed files...

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by sparkleytone
its targeted at those who have been forced to pirate because the record companies have been sitting on their asses when it comes to digital content.

Forced to pirate...? please. :rolleyes: They choose to pirate. No one is forcing them.

Lethal

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
If you have your password on for sharing, that little program won't work. Although I think that part could easiliy be fixed.

herr_neumann

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2003
Roseville, Ca
It is only a matter of time before we see a small app that will remove the security feature of the aac file. And can you DL any song off a shared playlist? If so, everyting that isnt protected can be pilfered....

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
>all my thoughts about buying legal music is slowly diminishing (iJon)

Are these thoughts concentrated on 100% legality, or a general preference towards legal CDs?

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by King Cobra
>all my thoughts about buying legal music is slowly diminishing (iJon)

Are these thoughts concentrated on 100% legality, or a general preference towards legal CDs?
im not sure, apple just made it fun easy to download music, and it was fast and cheap. its just knowing i can go get it else where for free is hard to pass up. i do not have anything against record companies or anything, its just hard for me to do. but with apples album prices i think i will be buying some cd's. although i downloaded linkin parks meteora before it was released, i think i will still buy it once apple gets it because i love that band. there are some also some other cds im waiting for apple to get and i will buy. i think i will gradually get in the habit.

iJon

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by arn
shouldn't do anything.

arn

just wait til you get a bunch of them and burn them to cd or dvd and reimport them.

actually this makes me think that the reason apple chose teh 128 encoded aac files is probably to discourage people from re-ripping 'protected' files. everybody seems to be complaining about the quality. it seems to be pretty border line. with some people claiming it doesnt sound good and some who cant hear the difference. had apple encoded at a higher quality (one that would please everyone) then re-ripping the file would still produce files that would sound decent to many people. but since the bit rate is so low on these than any loss in quality will be noticed.

Although many people suspect apple will begin offering high quality downloads (some say at a higher price) chances are this is one part of their 'protection' scheme.

kinda sad to me that i have to go to p2p channels to download decent sounding music.

awhile ago we had a thread about what bit rate you rip at. wonder how that has changed now that apple is offering aac encoding.

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Well, looks like I am going to have to turn on password protection for my itunes sharing. Sorry everyone, but I am not going to let anyone freely download any of my music. I hope that apple does fix it. I think it would be great if I could protect my own songs. I don't mind people listening to my music, but I don't want them copying my music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.