iTunes 4 UI inconsistancy

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cc bcc, May 1, 2003.

1. cc bcc macrumors 6502

If you look at the rounded corners of the iTunes 4 main window, you'll see that it's not anti aliased (hold it against a dark background). Safari however, does have anti aliasing on the corners.

How can this be? Don't all apps draw from the same graphics library?

edit:

Also, on an inactive iTunes window (greyed out), the word "iTunes" is lighter gray than other apps such as Safari and Address Book. It just looks different, maybe the anti aliasing is not the same here too.

2. cc bcc thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's a screenie.

Attached Files:

3. brandon6684 Guest

I think iTunes and Quinktime are carbon apps with thier own interface created for them, not with the libraries most others use. Remember they had the metal interface on OS 9.

4. cc bcc thread starter macrumors 6502

I just checked Quicktime, and it does things differently again.. Nice anti aliased corners, but the title doesn't grey out when inactive. :confused: The buttons on the top left are not inset, and there is a thicker highlight along the top of the Quicktime window. Also, the metal texture on Quicktime is blurier.

Maybe Apple should read the HI Guidelines! :D

5. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

<offtopic>ah, kruder & dorfmeister, good choice man!</offtopic>

6. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

yeah, i can see what you mean about the inconsistency.

Apple must know about this... they'll have to fix it soon.

7. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

i noticed that itunes buttons were further apart than most other metal apps. I thought that they had made it cocoa and done some fancy hidden code - like iPhoto.
    Go apple - why dont we count how many times they have broken their own HI rules. I think we would find that it is a very high number.

8. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Most external sw is terrible with anti aliasing. Have you ever seen real player? iTunes is barely noticeable, just the corners if you look closely.

9. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

haha, i hadnt even noticed that. but im with Kyle...i cringe everytime realone opens...the corners look terrible!

it is kinda odd that iTunes doesnt anti alias and that when in the background it is lighter for the buttons and title bars. of course, thats not a major concern of mine.