iTunes 5.0 Calendar + Contacts Synchronization Needs Work

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clayj, Sep 8, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    So I reformatted my iPod 60 GB to Windows format so I can synchronize my Outlook contacts and calendar into the iPod... cool feature! But it's got a couple of glaring problems:

1. For each e-mail address in an Outlook contact, you get a separate iPod contact. This means my Dad shows up three times (one for work, one for home, one for his wife's e-mail address which is stored in his contact). This is not very cool. There should be ONE iPod contact for each Outlook contact.

2. Calendar synchronization has a MAJOR problem... namely, it synchs your ENTIRE Calendar, as far back as it goes. That's dumb, because I only really want to know what's coming up and what happened recently. ActiveSync has an option to synchronize just future appointments and recent appointments; iTunes needs to do this, as well. My iPod now has Calendar items in it stretching back to 1998, and it means synching takes a LONG time to complete.
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

I think it's the same for OSX though, isn't it? It doesn't really bother me because it still doesn't take all that long to sync and once it's done it once, it'll be much much faster. :)
  3. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Too bad, I was hoping to get rid of iPodSync, but I guess I'll still need it. It doesn't have any of the issues you report with the built in functionality in iTunes.