iTunes 5.0 won't open anymore

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Invizzible, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Invizzible macrumors regular

I have no idea why, but suddenly my iTunes won't open. The little black triangle appears under the icon in the dock, but that's as far as it gets. And when I right click on that dock icon, the pop up menu gives me a "Force Quit" option instead of the regular "Quit". Additionally, at the top of that right-click pop up menu, it says "Application not responding". I've tried repairing permissions, zapping the PRAM, and even reinstalling iTunes 5.0. Nothing has helped. Anyone know what's going on, or how to fix it? :confused:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try deleting the file called com.apple.iTunes.plist and maybe other files with similar names if that doesn't work. :)

3. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I deleted that one along with three others:

"...eq.plist"
    "...helper.plist"
    "...ituneshelper.plist"

but it didn't make any difference. Should I put those back? [I copied them onto my usb flash stick just in case]

Any other ideas?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, put them back if it didn't fix it. Of course, you can delete them if you want to, they're not essential, but you'll love your preferences which is annoying. :)

Do you have an iPod plugged in?

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

This same thing happened to me a few days ago. Trashing preferences didn't fix it. It just fixed itself after a little while. It wouldn't open 5 or 6 times in a row, then suddenly it started working again, and it's been working fine ever since. I have no idea what caused it.

6. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Make sure iTunes isn't running and then rename "iTunes Library" to "iTunes Library (old)".

In iTunes 4 this would force it to rebuild the music library file, and solved some problems. Note however that it seems iTunes handling of libraries has changed with iTunes 5, so no promises it will work.

You could also try starting iTunes using a different user, to see if it's a system problem or a user-level problem.

AppleMatt

7. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

No luck. I tried renaming the iTunes Library file, and I tried logging in from a different account, and got the same results as before. This is really weird. I'm stunned that reinstalling iTunes didn't fix the problem.

8. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Well at least we know it's a system problem then, rather than something specific with your library/music files.

Are there any logs you can get, ie crash logs or output of console?

AppleMatt

9. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Beats me. How do I access that stuff?

iTunes hasn't really "crashed", I guess, because it doesn't really even open.

The last time I had it open, it didn't crash. I just used it as always, and then closed it when I was done. Then the next time I tried to open it, I experienced the strangeness that I wrote about above.

10. yenko macrumors 6502a

Start in single user mode

run "fsck -f"

else: Get Disk Warrior and repair your directory structure. ;)

11. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, I should've mentioned that....I already did run disk warrior and repaired my directory. Didn't make a bit of difference.

As for that first thing you mentioned....I am but a simple point-and-click peasant. How do I do what you suggested? What's 'single user mode'? Is that what I'm in now? I'm the only user of this computer, and I just created that second account a few minutes ago to run the test that Applematt suggested.

12. yenko macrumors 6502a

I'm assuming you're running "Tiger". If so, make sure you have version 3.0.3 of Disk Warrior, else it will create more problems for you.

"fsck" is a File System Check utility and repairs any problems in the directory (Trying to keep it simple here).

The way to use it is to hold down the "Command-s" at the boot chime until you get a black screen with white text.

Type: fsck -f

Hit: Return

If: repairs are noted repeat until it returns an "OK" :)

If OK: type "reboot"

Hit: Return

The point is: You're trying to eliminate any directory issues before you pursue anything else. ;)

Did you upgrade memory ??? :eek:

13. yenko macrumors 6502a

How big is your iTunes Library? :confused:

14. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

I'm running Panther 10.3.9, and I used Disk Warrior 3.0.2. My iTunes library is 6.42 GB, and I have 1 GB RAM, which I've had for...oh, probably 1 1/2 years now.

Thanks for the tech support! I'll do the fsck -f thing now. :D

15. yenko macrumors 6502a

:eek: OK.......Looks like your setup is correct including the correct version of "Disk Warrior".

The only other thing I could think of is: you need to restart every time you make changes (in spite of the fact that some people may say it's not required) esp. if you trash preferences and such.....are you doing that? :p

16. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

I got "OK" the first time I ran fsck -f.

Umm...no, I don't think I restarted after each thing I've tried. So I'll try renaming the itunes plist file to 'old' again and then restart. But right now I gotta run to work, so I'll do it this evening. Thanks again, everyone!!

17. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I renamed the iTunes Library to 'old' again, trashed the itunes preferences, and rebooted. Same problem - nothing has changed.

This is so crazy....so....WINDOWS....I'm still freaked that reinstalling iTunes didn't fix it. WTF!?!

And now, I'm REALLY going to work! :D

[I mean, I renamed the itunes library file to 'old'.....you know what I mean...]

18. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Open Console (Applications > Utilities > Console) and press 'clear'. Then try to run iTunes and see what appears in the log window.

AppleMatt

19. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

The Console says:

DigiCoreAudioDriver> Found 9 entries in 'SupportedApps.txt'.

Does that mean anything to you?? Man, I hope that's something helpful. :(

20. yenko macrumors 6502a

You don't have 2 versions of iTunes or another music app do you??
    :confused:

21. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

I do have other audio apps., like Pro Tools and Audacity. But no other applications besides iTunes for managing mp3's & ripped CD's, etc...

I just found an older version of iTunes (4.0) but it was in it's own folder. I threw it out, and it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I'm trying to find that text file that the Console mentioned, supportedapps.txt, but I can't find it anywhere. A search for it turned up nothing.

22. yenko macrumors 6502a

Did this start after you imported files created with Audacity? :(

23. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular

No. I haven't used Audacity in weeks, and I was just using iTunes a few days ago. I'm trying to think of anything I did between iTunes last working and when the weirdness started. Only thing I can think of is that I recently let Software Update install the Quicktime 7 update. I think that might've happened around the time iTunes committed suicide. :eek:

I haven't heard of any issues like this with that update, though.

Does anyone know where that supportedapps.txt file is? Is it a hidden file? I can't remember how to display hidden files...

24. yenko macrumors 6502a

What version of QT are you running? :confused:

7.0.1 or 7.0.2 ?

25. Invizzible thread starter macrumors regular