iTunes 5 - Sharing over WAN

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by parkov, Sep 9, 2005.

1. parkov macrumors newbie

Is there any way to share my music library through iTunes over the internet? I'd like to be able to stream it from my home computer to work. I know this was possible in one version of iTunes 4 before Apple blocked it in the next iteration, and I haven't heard of any new developments since then.

2. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I didn't know that was ever possible. If you figure it out, please share, I'd love to be able to do that. I could be on campus and listen to all the tunes that are on my PM at my apt.

3. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I do it. You need to CHMOD your iTunes directory to 755 and set up Apache Server with an alias ("virtual directory") that points to your iTunes folder.

4. parkov thread starter macrumors newbie

Does that method work like iTunes LAN sharing does, with the music and playlists loaded into the remote iTunes, or does that only allow you to access the individual mp3 files through the web?

If it's the case of the latter, do you need to open the stream to each individual mp3 file that's served through Apache to get them loaded onto the remote iTunes, or is there a more expeditious way?

5. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

My method will get you a web page directory listing. As far as I know, there's no way to share over WAN in the way that will let it appear in the source list in iTunes. Sorry. :(

6. gleasj macrumors newbie

Personal File Sharing and iTunes

This is theoretical, I have not tested it.

1. Turn on Personal File Sharing(PFS) (Sharing preferences).
    2. Allow PFS connections through the Firewall (Firewall is off by default, which allows all connections)
    3. Create an alias of the iTunes folder in the sharing folder.
    4. Remotely connect to your machine, which must be on and must NOT be running iTunes. From the finder choose (cmd-K) Go --> Connect to server. Enter afp://your_ip_address_here/
    5. On the remote machine, rename the iTunes folder iTunes.local
    6. Create an alias of the iTunes folder from your home machine and put it in the Music folder - make sure it is named iTunes.
    7. You should now be able to launch iTunes and have access to all of your playlists and songs.

In order for this to work, you must be able to access your machine from the internet. This means having a fixed ip address, or using a service that will provide a fixed ip mapping to a dynamic ip (cable modem, DSL, etc). Also your internet router must allow those incoming connections. Both of these items are outside of my ability to explain consisely here.

Also keep in mind that iTunes was designed to work locally, and you may get buffering problems and dropouts. I get these, and I am running my musig through a small LAN.

Good luck.

Jon