iTunes 5 + Windows Problems Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ppc_michael, Sep 9, 2005.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I just installed iTunes 5 on my two *books and PC. Things went smoothly (of course) on the *books, but Windows is having lots of problems. It doesn't seem to look for computers sharing music, and it doesn't share its music, on the network. I went in to preferences and all the things that enable sharing are already checked. After clicking OK, iTunes crashes.

Is there a copy of iTunes 4.9 I can download to roll back to? :(

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Best I can do is the link to iTunes 4.7 at the bottom of this page but it's for Mac. Sorry. :(

Anyway, we may be able to get 5.0 working. What sort of antivirus are you running? What sort of firewall? Do you have any anti-spyware apps on the PC?

3. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

I have McAfee antivirus (but none of it running, I like to keep things manual), Windows Firewall + my wireless router's firewall, and I have Adaware installed but it's not running or anything.

If it's of any help, iTunes 4.9 was running perfectly fine (with sharing) just minutes before the upgrade to 5.0. Also, the two *books are share nicely with each other with 5.0.

Edit: Ah, upon further investigation it appears that even opening the Preferences window at all, and clicking OK, will cause a crash. Sounds like a corrupt preferences file. Is there a file or Registry Key I could delete, maybe?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well keep an eye on Apple's discussion board thread about the same thing. Are you getting an error like this:

5. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

Ah that's exactly the problem I'm having. Thanks very much! I'll keep a close eye there. :)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No problems. Sorry, but I still haven't had any luck finding an old version of iTunes that I can get for you. My ISP has a download of all versions of iTunes ( :cool: ) but it's private (you won't be able to get to it) and it's 21MB which is probably too big for my email. If you can think of another way, I'm more than happy to try to send it to you. :)

I imagine they'll issue a fix soon enough anyway though.

7. strickdd macrumors newbie