iTunes 6.0.2 and QuickTime 7.0.4

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 10, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iTunes 6.0.2 is now in Software Update:

The most visible change to iTunes is the MiniStore, a panel that appears below playlists, showing items from the iTunes Music Store. This feature can be turned on and off using Show/Hide MiniStore in the Edit menu or via a new button at the bottom right of the iTunes window. This feature is "on" by default.

QuickTime 7.0.4 has also been released:

QuickTime Pro Users not previously using QuickTime 7 will lose QuickTime Pro functionality without purchasing a new key.

2. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Personally, I'm annoyed by the new ads (that's what the MiniStore is) appearing by default without my permission.

3. macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

yes im really annoyed with this ad crap to the bottom....what are they thinking *finally got on MR*

Bless

4. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Especially when they advertise something which you can't even buy, due to geographic restrictions!

5. macrumors 604

Lacero

Command+Shift+M will be your friend. Learn it well. Use it. Profit from it.

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]

6. macrumors 6502a

class

You Legend.

7. macrumors 65816

treblah

Apple can shove that 'MiniStore' where the sun don't shine.

I am happy to see that older music videos downloaded as part of albums now have a 'poster frame' set as opposed to the black square. It seems to be a random frame though and I can't change it. :confused:

8. macrumors G5

nagromme

I will definitely click the mini-store off :)

Now how about a checkbox to let us reverse the action of those little Store cross-link arrows next to everything in your library? I know you can turn them off, but if you option-click they cross link to YOUR library instead of to the store, and that's so useful it's worth keeping the link dots enabled. But I don't want to option-click. I want that function reversed.

9. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Check out iTunes prefs, click General tab, de-select the "Show links to the Music Store" checkbox

10. hob
    macrumors 68020

hob

Nah, he doesn't want to rid them, but I also would like something like this... maybe and applescript is in order?

Does the mini-advertising campaign load up each time you load iTunes? If so, I can't believe Apple sometimes!!

11. macrumors 6502

But in my opinion, the bigest improvement is...

Okay I just fired up iTunes and guess what I found: if you are playing music through Airtunes, in the little pulldown menu where you choose the remote speaker you can choose Multiple Speakers and play through more than one at a time!

I am currently listening to music through both my Airport Express and my computer at the same time and in-sync with each other.

I don't know if it has to do with the Airport updates I did earlier today (which were realeased on January 3rd but I never saw until I was on the Apple download page trying to get the OS 10.4.4 update), but it works well and is, I think, a major new feature for iTunes/Airtunes.

12. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No but its still awful...

13. macrumors member

what mini store

I updated itunes and QT with the updates released today and there is no reference to a mini store in my itunes at all. even tried the command shift m and still nothing. can someone post a screen shot. Also, apple has pulled the QT update and posted a 7.0.1 re-installer. Maybe that has something to do with it.

edit. got it. in the regular library. I thought it was something in the music store itself like the Just For You section. Yah, that sucks. Don't need that.

14. macrumors newbie

Right, so is this an airport express update, itunes update, or a 10.4.4 update...I didn't seem to get it with the itunes update, I haven't seen an airport express update, and well I am downloading 10.4.4 update now :)

Cheers
    James.

15. macrumors 6502

The Aiport Express Update is here: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/airportexpressfirmwareupdate63formacosx.html

There is an Airport Extreme update as well.

16. macrumors 6502

jhero

guys, just press the 4th button to the right at the bottom...

and they pulled the 7.0.4 updater...

why???

17. macrumors newbie

johnji

Quicktime Update

Does anyone have anything to report on the Quicktime update? I'm desperately hoping that the advertised H.264 improvements will speed up encoding in this codec.

I'm right in the middle of compressing an only 5 minutes long video using Compressor on a Dual G5 2.0/2.5 GB RAM which incredibly still has 20 hours to go!!?!

I'm stopping now to install the Quicktime and 10.4.4 updates which fingers crossed will add a noticible improvement to this situation.

18. macrumors newbie

Maybe because I'm not alone in that 7.0.4 update hosed my 10.3.9 machine ... Java applications crashing ... Disk Utility dying during permissions verification ... utter hilarity ensuing ...

A MacFixIt post mentioning the 7.0.4->7.0.1 downgrader -- http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/quicktime701reinstallerforquicktime704.html -- spared me the pain of a QT-borked system.

Good catch, Apple. :)

{edit out logorrhea}

19. macrumors member

When I first saw the ministore I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. Had me worried until I came here.

20. macrumors 6502a

Laser47

I felt the same way, at least we are able to hide it.

21. macrumors newbie

Half-star ratings

So iTunes now supports half-star ratings. Kind of. Badly.

I use a number of AppleScripts to provide a finer-grained rating system, the neutral point of which is 50. (For those who don't know, iTunes ratings are actually from 0 to 100. *=20, **=40, ***=60, and so on.) All songs still at this neutral point now show up as **1/2. However, songs that have been increased to somewhere between **1/2 and *** stars register as just **, so the system doesn't round down properly. Furthermore, I haven't been able to find a way to actually give a song a half-star rating within iTunes.

Peculiar.

22. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't really like the traffic lights on the mini mode but I'll probably live with them all the same... At least they only go like this when the curser is nearby.

Attached Files:

23. macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

wow, turbo negro - I'm gonna have to check him out. Is he in the music store?

24. macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, can't say I'm a big fan of this either - I thought Apple was above this type of advertising, as it kind of cheapens the app, but ah well - at least you can disable it...

25. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's possibly the worst song I've ever heard. It's from my brother's CD and I really doubt it's on iTMS. :D