Itunes 6.02 Crashes!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rapps, Jan 15, 2006.

1. rapps macrumors regular

I just updated to Itunes 6.02 and what a big big mistake so far. It seemed to install OK, but when I double click a song itunes crashes. No songs will play and I can't seem to figure it out.

Any ideas?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. Boelman macrumors regular

Mine works fine. I havent had any issues what so ever. The only app that crashes on me every now and a again is AOL Instant Messenger.

4. rapps thread starter macrumors regular

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay then, maybe try trashing the preference files. Start with com.apple.iTunes.plist, then com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist, then com.apple.iTunes.XXX.plist (where XXX is a bunch of seemingly random numbers) and then as a last hope ditch com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist. This will lose your settings however if you keep the files in a folder other than the one you find these PLIST files in (such as the Desktop), you can restore them at a later date if need be.

Don't delete preference files whilst iTunes is open. Good luck. :)

6. rapps thread starter macrumors regular

Hi,
    I deleted all of those files....and trashed the app.

I tried to install 6.0 again, but it wouldn't allow me b/c it seems to believe 6.02 is still installed.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Did you even try to use iTunes after deleting the plist files? That could easily have fixed your problem and saved you some work.

To reinstall iTunes, first delete Library/Receipts/iTunesX.pkg. Then try installing again.

8. rapps thread starter macrumors regular

There isn't an itunesx.pkg file there. I tried to install...and the same thing happened again. I'm searching for a full version (not upgrade) of an earlier version. Maybe that will solve it?

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Are you sure you looked in the correct folder? It's in the top-level Library/Receipts folder, not the one under your user name. Try a Spotlight search for itunesx.pkg. That receipt is what's telling you that you've already got 6.0.2 installed, and until you get rid of it, I don't think you'll be able to install any earlier version of iTunes.

10. rapps thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! That solved it! I was looking under my name and not the top level. I hope this was helpful to others, as well.