Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SLVR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Hi everyone;

So up to this week; the Motorola SLVR has been a great purchase - and I will buy an Apple phone when one is made; but until that time - I'm stuck using the SLVR.

Well since the release of iTunes 7.0 - nothing purchased since the release, has successfully synced with the SLVR.

I've reinstalled iTunes 7.0 - on a Windows XP box, and a Mac OS X box, reset the phone to factory defaults; replaced the Flash Card......

And nothing plays - totally skips over the music, like a skipping or mis-authorized song. Except it does this through all 100 titles on the SLVR.

Has anyone, successfully synced the SLVR with iTunes 7 - I am especially interested in the Windows side; my coworkers and myself use the iTunes for Windows at work, and Mac's at home.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Matt-

andrew050703

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Portsmouth, U.K
I know it's not much help, but I've got a similar problem with my RAZR v3im that i just bought.

I don't know if its anything to do with itunes 7.x, but only 2 songs out of my library play - don't know why they will but everything else won't.

with regards to syncing, i tried it via isync which worked - itunes recognises it and syncs stuff, but it just won't play

EDIT: - clarity

aussiemac86

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
the land of OZ
My ROKR seems to still be working fine after the update (synced twice since update). I know its not a SLVR, but id imagine the software to be similar on the phones.

andrew050703

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Portsmouth, U.K
aussiemac86 said:
My ROKR seems to still be working fine after the update (synced twice since update). I know its not a SLVR, but id imagine the software to be similar on the phones.

have you added anything since the update (new songs etc.) - I only got my phone after updating - its weird that only a few songs play (rather than all of them not playing)

SLVR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have emailed Apple technical support .... While they "look further into the issue" - after reading a few postings from CNET most Motorola phones will not work after using iTunes 7; also noted; its new music, not the older music you already have.

On the Windows side the phone mounts, and syncs- but when playing the music just skip's; much like my old 40GB iPod.

On the Mac side; it takes forever for the phone to be found; then syncs, and repeats the skipping.

I have to say, I am really bummed out - this is a bad release of softare; especially on the Windows side - even on a Dual Xeon system; the program becomes non-responsive; slow and clunky after a period of time. This is especially bad, as 6 never had an issue to speak of. Overall; the software runs almost as bad as Outlook 2007- or on the Mac side; its like running Claris Works in Classic.

This has nothing to do with Windows; this had everything to do with Apple.

SLVR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
macg4 said:
i wouldnt think it would be that hard

Apple refunded my purchases back to me; I guess you can say I won?

Too bad that they cant figure out everything that is going on .... on the plus side; money is back in my account today; and well -- I guess I'm neutral.

Does this admit there is an issue? In the Apple world; usually. :)

andrew050703

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Portsmouth, U.K
SLVR said:
Apple refunded my purchases back to me; I guess you can say I won?

Too bad that they cant figure out everything that is going on .... on the plus side; money is back in my account today; and well -- I guess I'm neutral.

Does this admit there is an issue? In the Apple world; usually. :)

cool - what did you say 2 get your money back?

I just purchased another track to see if anything had changed - it seems that my itunes 6 stuff works, my itunes 7.0 stuff doesn't, but anything after the most recent update will play (at least on my razr v3im it does).

Anyone else notice that tracks downloaded under the latest iTunes update will work - or is it just me?

do you reckon I could get a refund on the songs that won't play on motoitunes?

SLVR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
andrew050703 said:
cool - what did you say 2 get your money back?

I just purchased another track to see if anything had changed - it seems that my itunes 6 stuff works, my itunes 7.0 stuff doesn't, but anything after the most recent update will play (at least on my razr v3im it does).

Anyone else notice that tracks downloaded under the latest iTunes update will work - or is it just me?

do you reckon I could get a refund on the songs that won't play on motoitunes?

Here is the exact message from Apple:

"Dear Matt,

Thank you for your patience while Apple has investigated the issue your reported with your Motorola SLVR phone not playing your iTunes Store purchased music since upgrading your software to iTunes 7. I apologized for the wait.

The latest version of iTunes fixes this issue. I have just placed all of the content you purchased since September 12th, 2006 back in your account so that you can redownload it. This is necessary to resolve the issue you have been experiencing. Please follow these steps to upgrade iTunes and redownload your purchases:

1) Download and install iTunes 7.0.1, which was released on September 27th, 2006. It can be downloaded free of charge:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

2) After upgrading, open iTunes.

3) From the Store menu, choose Check for Purchases.

4) Enter your iTunes Store account name and password and click Check.

Your purchases should begin redownloading and they should no longer be affected by this issue.

If you use an iPod video, make sure you've got the latest iPod software, available free of charge:
http://www.apple.com/ipod/download

If installing the latest version of iTunes does not resolve the issue you are experiencing, please reply to this email.

Thank you for being an iTunes Store customer. Apple appreciates your business. "

I just emailed for support through the iTunes software ... if all else fails go to http://www.apple.com/support/iTunes and find the "Email us" button.

SLVR2

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2006
So now the SLVR is working with iTunes 7.0.1? If so, that's good. I just got the SLVR, so hearing about all these problems didn't make me too happy.

SLVR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
SLVR2 said:
So now the SLVR is working with iTunes 7.0.1? If so, that's good. I just got the SLVR, so hearing about all these problems didn't make me too happy.

All is good, I haven't had any issues. Works on the Mac and the PC. Just make sure that if you have purchased things since the release of iTunes 7 - you request from Apple that you need them to work with the SLVR. They will send you the form email (above) and you will be all set.

Otherwise, I am a happy owner.

:) M

macTraveler2

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2006
Thanks for the info. I verified the songs I purchased under 7.0 will not play where the ones I purchased under 7.0.1 will.

Now the problem is contacting Apple. I clicked on the link you provided and it failed. I searched the Apple website for nearly an hour and could not find where to send them an email. I have lots of apple products and support contracts but cannot find where and how to send them an email requesting they put the 3 songs I purchased under iTunes 7.0 back in for download.

Anyone have any idea how to do this or should I just spend the 3 bucks and stop waisting my time! (and begin to think twice about ordering Mac products).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.