iTunes 7.0 a ram hog

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hobodale, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hobodale macrumors member

Hobodale

Just wondering if anyone else noticed that when you are using iTune's new cover flow feature(which is truly amazing by the way) that itunes uses an absurd amount of ram? I couldnt believe it when i first noticed it so I restarted my computer just to be sure and once I started up iTunes and it loaded all the images again it was using more ram than before. I realize that it does have to display a lot of album art seeing as I have over 6600 songs but still 1GB of ram?!?! Good thing my trusty MB has 2gigs. I attached a picture of my activity monitor.

[​IMG]

2. satans_banjo macrumors regular

Forget RAM, according to 'top' iTunes is using 130% of my CPU power! Oh wait, now it's gone down to 6.2% - still pretty high though, just not impossibly high

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Your MacBook has dual cores, so 130% CPU is not at all impossible. Each core = 100%. EDIT: I see satans_banjo doesn't say what Mac he/she has, but I assumed it was an Intel Core Duo Mac.

I've had iT7 open since I installed it yesterday, played around with CoverFlow a bit and while RAM usage goes up when I'm using that view mode, it goes back to around 55 MB real RAM when I go to list view.

4. reubs macrumors 68000

I've got 2 gigs installed, and with Itunes running I've got 614 megs free...normally I have about a solid gig left.

5. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I just checked and iTunes 7 is using 111MB while in cover flow view :eek: 37 in classic view :rolleyes:

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.