Itunes 7.0: List album by "album artist"

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hydevil, Sep 17, 2006.

1. hydevil macrumors newbie

Hi guys! Need some help! I have some problems organizing my music with the new itunes 7.0. The 2 new features in itunes which is "album artist" tag and the list album by artist were very useful to me. Is there any way to combine both of them such that i get to list albums by "album artist" instead of the current album by artist? Cos my albums get a bit messed up without that function, giving me multiple album arts. I will list an example. I got a cd - Beckology by Jeff Beck. The first few songs in the CD was by the yard birds which is his previous band, while the rest were mainly by Jeff Beck when he went solo. For this CD, album artist = Jeff Beck and artist = the Yard Birds for the first few tracks. Listing it by album artist, will split up the album, as the order of listing will be album artist followed by artist then by album and my other Jeff Beck CDs get inserted in between the Beckology CD. Listing album by artist doesnt help either. The first track of Becklogy is by the yard birds. Thus, this CD will be seperated from my Jeff Beck collection and will be placed under the artist = the yard birds category. Advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

-hydevil

2. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Click the "Album" field a few times and it will change to "Album by Artist," then "Album by Year," then back to "Album."

Daniel.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Also, Album Artist has it's own cloumn in the view, just turn it on by right clicking anywhere in the column headers. ;)

B

4. hydevil thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks burton and balam. Actually wat I needed was something like : "Album by Album Artist" instead of the "Album by Artist". Is there anyway to do it as such? Cos, classifying "Album by Artist" uses the artist of the first track instead of the album artist and arrange the whole album under that 1st artist. For eg, Jeff Beck: Beckology,whereby Album 1st Track: Trouble in Mind; Artist: the trident; Album Artist: Jeff Beck . Thus my Jeff Beck: Beckology album gets separated from the rest of Jeff Beck's CDs and ends up under "the trident" section. Thank you very much once again.

-hydevil

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

See what you mean. Seems like Album Artist support is still sketchy, hope they'll have it fixed by next release. Submit it as a bug.

I added the tag to some albums and they still didn't get grouped together in the file system. (e.g. Pretenders greatest hits, which includes one UB40 + Chrissie Hynde song.)

However some iTMS purchased tracks seem to work as intended. :confused:

B

6. greenlight macrumors newbie

greenlight

You might have to title the artist field with some creativity to find the right format. Maybe "Jeff Beck with the Yardbirds".