iTunes 7.02: good, bad, ugly?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 3badjacksfan, Nov 29, 2006.

1. 3badjacksfan macrumors member

3badjacksfan

It seemed like a good idea: display album art at the top of iTunes, like a rolodex, as the music played.

However, if you're listening to a playlist, and switch to the album art view, iTunes doesn't stay in your playlist... nope. It starts playing your whole library. Bad iTunes! Bad!

So, the ugly truth? It's a feature I would have liked, but now will never use, unless they fix that little snag.

(And really, I can't beleive they didn't think of it before... you want to play your grooving party-playlist, you think showing off the album art would be a neat touch, and then >>poof<< you're playing and watching Muddy The Mud Skipper, which is fine sometimes, but not good for grooving. What a buzz-kill... the Muddy Mud Skipper Theme and the iTunes view option.)

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Er... no its doesnt?

I use album art view all the time and listen to my playlists without problems.

Are you sure you are playing from your playlist and not your library? :confused:

3. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

what's itunes making ugly? it seems to eat a lot of memory and cpu. especially when you search through album art. try it with using other applications. it's stopped to work for few seconds. I think that mac tried to allocate memory, CPU to distribute to applications I use. that's really suck. it didn't have any problem before itunes 7.0. album cover art needs to be fix. it's effect on other programs.

4. 3badjacksfan thread starter macrumors member

3badjacksfan

Can I say OOPS... You're right. I knew there had to be a catch!

But, I used to be able to click on a Genre, and it'd happily play just that Genre. But not now, if I go into the Album Art View.

Maybe it's not how other people use it, but that's how I do. Otherwise I'd have to keep updating my playlist just to play a genre, and then I'd have to "check for duplicate songs" in the genre, and some of the duplicate songs in a genre are not really duplicates (like, Johnny Cash did the song, but then so did a few other guys).

Am I being a big baby because I want it to work just like it did before AND give me album art? If I am, then I'll suck it up and not use the view album art feature. But in my opinion, I'm right. And I mean that in a non-egotistical way, if that's possible.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

If you want to play only a particular genre that spans your entire library, set up a smart folder that contains just that genre. No need to update it as it will auto update when you add music of that genre to your library.

6. 3badjacksfan thread starter macrumors member

3badjacksfan

Ok, now we're getting somewhere! Regarding that Smart Playlist: let's say you let iTunes automatically get the info for you, and you disagree with the label iTunes gives the song's genre, so you edit it. Or, you manually enter the genre but change your mind later and re-label it.

Are you saying iTunes Smart Playlist will keep up with all my multiple personalities labeling and re-labeling my songs!?

If that's the case, I might just find a reason to buy TWO more iTunes! (Oh, wait, it's free... Oh! So I'll get FOUR then!)

Thanks a bunch! I'm going to bed, and like a kid on xmas eve, I'll be dreaming of playing with Smart Playlists tomorrow morning! Yea!

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I dont use them myself but as far as I know if you have a smart playlist set up to contain only things that have a genre set to 'dance' and you change one of the files genres from 'dance' to something else then I believe it will be taken out of the smart playlist. Its the same if you change something to 'dance' it will then appear in the smart playlist.

8. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie