Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
In the browser view I would like to see a checkbox to the left of every artist allowing me to check my favorite artists so that in iTunes and most importantly on my iPod, I can then go to a sub menu called Favorite Artists that lists only those 10 or 20 or whatever # instead of the 400+ artists in my library and my iPod.

I would similarly like to see the ability within each favorite artist to select a checkbox for each song that I want to included in a favorite artist mix
This isn't a half-bad idea. I would think a simple way to implement it would be to allow ratings on artists and albums as well as songs. In iTunes, you could just sort "artists by rating" somewhere to get all your five-star artists at the top. I'm not sure how to expose that functionality on the iPod though.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
This isn't a half-bad idea. I would think a simple way to implement it would be to allow ratings on artists and albums as well as songs. In iTunes, you could just sort "artists by rating" somewhere to get all your five-star artists at the top. I'm not sure how to expose that functionality on the iPod though.

Like I said, checkboxes in just the artist view or a Favorite Artists source in the source lists or something allowing you to select those artists. Then in the iPod you could get Playlists, Artists, Favorite Artists, Songs, Albums, Genres, Composers, etc and have it be something you can turn on and off in the Main Menu just like everything else.

gregdig

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2003
Movies for other countries?

Someone at digg.com noticed that in the new Parental tab of the Preferences, there's a Ratings dropdown menu showing Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and US.

They're guessing that this means iTunes movies will be coming soon to these countries?

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I am rather frustrated with the current ship dates. I have really been looking forward to this device. On one hand I want Apple to release a stable product. On the other hand, I want them to ship the damn thing already.

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
Could someone please explain how to use the new 'sort' feature(s).

Looks like I can set how iTunes finds my artists and songs, so like the aforementioned Beatles, I can just type "BEATLES" and it will go there, instead of having to type "THE BEATLES", which iTunes did before, but now you can adjust perosnally for not only artist names but songs names and more.

Picture 1.jpg

Example: I have the Supertones in my Library, but their official name is "The O.C. Supertone" but I would never bother to scroll to "THE O.C..." because I just call them "SUPERTONES". iTunes even seems to auto-suggest taking out the "THE" in most things, even song titles (it's greyed out on the right panels).

Picture 2.jpg

Now, you can see that when I sort by artist, "THE O.C..." appears in the "S" section of artists, despite it's name.

This is how I take it to work. It might be kind of confusing, but definitely interesting.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Looks like I can set how iTunes finds my artists and songs, so like the aforementioned Beatles, I can just type "BEATLES" and it will go there, instead of having to type "THE BEATLES", which iTunes did before, but now you can adjust perosnally for not only artist names but songs names and more.

Gotcha I don't know that I have much use for that, but ok. Maybe like Peace said, it will mean more with :apple:tv. I'd still like to get the 'Skip when Shuffling' added to the view options, as it doesn't do me much good in the get info screen. If not a view column, how bout via right-click. And what is the Apple Sort Field right-click pop-up menu about?

D47

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2006
Los Angeles, Ca
What I would like to see is. While in the full screen cover flow mode an option similar to the browsing on the iPhone, with the track names on the flip side of the album cover. Sweet.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Media mini

now the apple tvs just need to ship..:p

You mention this, but I've been wondering about AppleTV vrs Mac mini. For $300 more you can plug a full blown computer into your HDTV. Why stream when you can have right there on the HD?

I was thinking just last week that a full screen cover flow would nice, especially with my mini hooked up to my HDTV. I've also been thinking we are probably going to see more full screen interfaces to various applications. Now, add that concept to marrying a mini to a HDTV and there is a compelling product. Better than AppleTV because it can do full 1080p, you can add movie recording devices like Elgato, and add hard drives too.

The problem with the mini now is no HDMI connector and no HD-DVD / Blu-Ray option. I think the clincher will be if Apple adds an HDMI connector to the next mini revision. And if current rumors about new dispays are correct then this is a given. If they do, I expect a lot of people will opt for a miniTV solution over the AppleTV device. For a few hundred more, you can get much more.

So, I don't think we've seen the end of the AppleTV strategy. I still think a meda mini is a very real possibility. Intel's next integrated graphics chips are going to have dramatically improved graphics support. And add to that beautiful full screen interfaces to some applicaitons like iTunes, iPhoto, and others (Safari?) that would enhance using a computer in your living room.

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
Looks like I can set how iTunes finds my artists and songs

It's cute - but are we really goignto go through our huge libraries and set this data???

I was hoping they would add better podcast management, but nothing looks changed.

The new ipod check for updates date is annoying. I feel like I have to click something. Was better when I didn't care when it actually checked for updates...

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
You know that as of iTunes 7, iTunes will download artwork for you, right?

The artwork that iTunes downloads is way to low res. Think about it a second. Screen resolutions and screen sizes keep increasing. I'm typically putting 700 x 700 artwork in my tracks manually. why? Simple. On my MBP the artwork is pretty large. On my 24" widescreen @ 1920 x 1200 it still pretty good. Imagine what the artwork is going to look like in 3-5+ years?

epardilla

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2007
Los Angeles
New Ship Date for Appletv?

This guy Glenn on here http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=870049&tstart=0

posted that his ship date changed to tomorrow----anyone else have the same thing?

He says in the post that the apple cust support person said it was on backorder, meaning they have shipped some of these but cannot keep up with the demand until mid march... annoying if true!

I want my I want my I want my :apple:tv!

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
Like I said, checkboxes in just the artist view or a Favorite Artists source in the source lists or something allowing you to select those artists. Then in the iPod you could get Playlists, Artists, Favorite Artists, Songs, Albums, Genres, Composers, etc and have it be something you can turn on and off in the Main Menu just like everything else.
Right, I just didn't like the idea of adding a new checkbox for "favorites" when extending the existing ratings method to artists and albums would accomplish the same thing.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
This is no indication :apple: TV isn't delayed. 7.1 is more likely the release to solve Vista issues and at the same time they did :apple: TV functions

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The artwork that iTunes downloads is way to low res. Think about it a second. Screen resolutions and screen sizes keep increasing. I'm typically putting 700 x 700 artwork in my tracks manually. why? Simple. On my MBP the artwork is pretty large. On my 24" widescreen @ 1920 x 1200 it still pretty good. Imagine what the artwork is going to look like in 3-5+ years?

iTMS artwork is typically 600x600 which means it's about 120 dpi for a typical CD. Some artwork is lower res 300x300 or 320x320, but most is already 600x600.

It's a bit of a fine balancing act, as you don't want your artwork to end up doubling the size of your songs, do you? Much of the 600x600 artwork from iTunes was already more than 1 MB, which adds a 33% overhead to many songs at 128 kbps.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.