Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
yeah, I had just noticed 7.4.1 was out in su. was looking to see if anyone knew what changed since yesterday. m4r ringtones still working? haven't even had a chance to play with that yet....

update: well now that my post got merged into a more active thread I have my answer....

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
I found a solution that i am going to use to my full advantage....dont download it lol

So where are all those people that said Apple did this on purpose?

Seriously, Apple didnt have to do this, they could have made the lawyers happy by charging but keeping their customers happy but leaving a small loophole open and i mean unless someone was going to sue them they never had to do anything about it

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I was talking about using iToner, I think you might have miss understood me. I take the mp3 I want, drag it to my desk top, instead of being ctu24ringtone.mp3, I change it to ctu.mp3. When I put it in iToner and sync it up with my iPhone it works perfectly. I understand you don't like to use payware as you stated, I don't know why, but everyone is different, but you can try it for free. Its worth a try to see what I'm talking about. But that's up to you.

I didn't misunderstand anything. The thread is about iTunes. Obviously when I used the word "it" I was speaking of iTunes. I don't like how iTunes names the ringtones.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
what timing...i *just* dl'd the new itunes at like 4:30, came home and put custom ringtones on via this method not more than 10 mins ago to see there is already a new version. grrr.:mad:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Unbelievable. Apple is really acting out this week. In less than 24 hours they patch a hole that affects their bottom line, but here we are 2+ months into it and we're still waiting for a single user requested feature. C'mon Apple, throw us a bone. How about a stupid "delete all messages" button? Something, anything that doesn't require a wallet...

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
They would never do something like that on purpose, they want to make money not lose it:D

I know but on the post about this loophole a few people were like oh apple did this n purpose and stuff like that and i want to know where they are now and tell them how right they are

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
iTunes 7.4.1 Update Released

Now available via Software Update:
With iTunes 7.4, sync your favorite music and more with the new iPod nano (third generation), iPod classic, and iPod touch, plus create custom ringtones exclusively for iPhone with many of your favorite songs purchased from the iTunes Store. You can now also play purchased videos with closed captioning (when available), easily rate your favorite albums from one to five stars, and watch videos at a larger size inside the iTunes window.
The update weighs in at 38.5MB and is also available for download at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ No word yet on what effect this update may have on recent free ringtone developments.

Article Link

Apparently this update was released specifically to disable the recently uncovered non-iTMS ringtone syncing capability. I know I'm not upgrading. They'll need to have... oh, I don't know... something like an iPhone software update to unseat me and force me to accept the latest iTunes. :)
Ok next time we discover a loophole in an itunes update we wont post it online...email it to eachother and keep it a secret ok?
Check. But, here's the thing... if we all get really really angry about it, maybe Steve will give us more store credit. :D

~ CB

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
Engadget is reporting that they have tested the free ringtone system and it still works http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/07/itunes-7-4-1-already-released-free-ringtone-workaround-is-ok/

hmm..i have an intel mac...im giving it a try...and if it doesnt work i guess ill just use itoner for 30 days...but idk it seems that they released this version specifically for the ringtone thing so i dont get how it could still work

as I posted earlier here, iToner still works. I've sync'd multiple times different ways to test it out. Still works.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
hmm..i have an intel mac...im giving it a try...and if it doesnt work i guess ill just use itoner for 30 days...but idk it seems that they released this version specifically for the ringtone thing so i dont get how it could still work

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT

It's a bit like playing Russian Roulette, isn't it? :D

P-Worm

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
I used the rename to m4r method, and now I get an error message saying it cant copy...

how do I remove the ringtone from iTunes?
deleting the file does nothing

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
I just hope someone uploads 7.4 for all of us. Im on dialup and figured I would wait to download the 7.4 in a few days when I can take the ibook out and find some wifi. Looks like I waited too long. Either that or I'll wait for it to be on oldfiles.com or whatever it is. Damn updates.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
as I posted earlier here, iToner still works. I've sync'd multiple times different ways to test it out. Still works.

i know i was saying this itunes update was specifically for the free ringtones through itunes so i was wondering how it could still work for engadget

drater

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
i know i was saying this itunes update was specifically for the free ringtones through itunes so i was wondering how it could still work

ah, well you'd have to ask Moki about that one. But whatever they fixed today it still works. Only took them a day to fix. Not too shabby.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
probaly just a cover up

jobs: we have to hurry and add some feature so people don't think we're upgrading itunes to change anything that our brilliant programmers forgot to leave out.

mrrydogg

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2007
Bay Area
Couldn't they wait?

You think they could of let us have some fun until the ringtone/iTunes mini store goes live next week. If they were gonna disable us anyway, what's the rush?

Does anyone know if their is a new iToner out yet that works on iTunes 7.4.1?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.