Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
*shrugs* Why are people surprised? Apple opened up a new revenue stream. Someone found a work around in their software. They patched it so they could continue to sell ringtones. Again...Apple is a company. Companies do this. Nothing new here.

Well, I don't have an iPhone (and won't get one), and I'm not surprised, as it perfectly fits in Apple's current image. They take away and charge.

Just for the sheer fun of it, I recently made my own custom ringtones with a Dual USB iBook (500 Mhz G3 that is), and it worked like a real charm. Opened up iTunes (Version 3 or 4 I guess), ripped some songs to MP3, opened up those files in QuickTime Pro (Vers. 5) and trimmed them like I liked.

Very easy, very efficient, named them how I liked them and sent them via Bluetooth (I use a dongle over there) to my mobile.

Granted I used QuickTime Pro, try that again today. It is nearly impossible, as QuickTime Pro has been crippled to death. Try exporting sound, and you will see.

Therefore another perfect move for Apple as a company. Yet still they don't have a fraction of understanding, as any other mobile device offers custom ringtones (btw my Nokia does MP3 and AAC and let's me assign ringtones to contacts, just like the iPhone).

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

why is there still no bells by my iTunes songs?? Huh? Somebody please tell me why?

Because the official ringtone service hasn't kicked off yet. They will appear when Apple officially turns on ringtones.

Padriac

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Granted I used QuickTime Pro, try that again today. It is nearly impossible, as QuickTime Pro has been crippled to death. Try exporting sound, and you will see.
Therefore another perfect move for Apple as a company. Yet still they don't have a fraction of understanding, as any other mobile device offers custom ringtones (btw my Nokia does MP3 and AAC and let's me assign ringtones to contacts, just like the iPhone).

1) Actually, you can use the current version of Quicktime Pro to do this just fine.
2) Nokia also isn't the 3rd largest music retailer. The music labels have mandated that iTunes not allow songs to be made into ringtones, which means the iPhone can't do it for free since it is coupled to iTunes. Do you think the labels would allow Best Buy to sell CDs if Best Buy was converting all the songs to ringtones and sending them to your phone for free when you checked out? No. Direct your ire to the labels who are looking at ringtone revenue to save their pathetic asses, not Apple. Apple just wants to sell you hardware and would be happy to let you have ringtones free if it would encourage you to buy an iPhone.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I am getting really sick of this crap. Apple shouldn't be charging $0.99 to make a ringtone. I don't even want a song, I want a sound that doesn't annoy the crap out of me. If Apple is going to pull this type of crap they should atleast give us more ringtone options.

pamon

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2006
so... 7.4.1 is more so a fix vs new features

so i'm wrong at thinking that this latest upgrade is more so a fix vs actual ringtones. Not that i'm looking to spend the $$ for the ringtones, just interested in the functionality...

pgajg

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2007
confused...

I'm a little bit confused. After reading everything on here I was going to wait to download 4.1, but then I read the article about renaming them in the ringtones folder .m4a and that they'd work, so I updated and did that, but they didn't show up and instead the old .m4r ringtones were still there... and worked. I've had no trouble adding more .m4r ringtones (same way as the original hack) and am definitely running 7.4.1 (2). Explain why I was lucky and everybody else hasn't been.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
I hate itunes updates, we get a new one every few days it seems. I don't update anymore unless I feel I need to.

mountainbiker80

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2007
Simple SOLUTION to getting ringtones into iTunes w/o any software

Its been said a few times in more obscure posts in this same thread, but 7.4.1 simply made it so that ringtones weren't automatically copied into the iTunes Ringtones folder.

Use the same process as before (rename AAC file from .m4a to .m4r), but manually put that .m4r file into the music/itunes/itunes music/ringtones folder...

...and then open those files that you place there (one-by-one OR in a group) so that iTunes opens them and registers them as part of the library.

EASY as cake. :D

Peligro

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2006
Chicago
try this MacPrince, I found it on another site:

To remove ringtones from the ringtones tab in iTunes, first delete the ringtones from the "ringtones" folder in the finder, then rebuild your iTunes database according to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93313

CRAP!!!
That reset my play counts!! DAMMIT!!!:mad:

I know thats lame to be mad at!! But things like this irk me.

Edit: Ah! I replaced the newer ITL file with the one marred with the ringtones i added. Everything is back to normal. Playcounts, date added, everything. I still had the original in the trash! PHEW! I think I'd rather have my counts intact then having my ringtones tabs clean.
Hopefully in a newer version I'll be able to erase that blooper.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
I think this is hilarious. Imagine that,,,, a company actually trying to prevent their software from being hacked into. Now that's just a horrible thing of them to do! :D

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Its been said a few times in more obscure posts in this same thread, but 7.4.1 simply made it so that ringtones weren't automatically copied into the iTunes Ringtones folder.

Use the same process as before (rename AAC file from .m4a to .m4r), but manually put that .m4r file into the music/itunes/itunes music/ringtones folder...

...and then open those files that you place there (one-by-one OR in a group) so that iTunes opens them and registers them as part of the library.

Are you sure about this...b/c until Apple releases the Ringtones program...I see no reason to update...I don't mind paying for the Ringtones, but I want them now...and I am keeping them until Apple gives us an alternative route...Funny how they can fix this so quick, but Safari crashing while listening to music on the iPhone, nah, lets forget about it...

vertgo

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2006
I think this is hilarious. Imagine that,,,, a company actually trying to prevent their software from being hacked into. Now that's just a horrible thing of them to do! :D

Actually, it's a horrible thing to do to make you pay $1.98 to play a 30 second clip of a song you already bought on CD when a friend of yours calls, on hardware you bought for $600.

The fact that people figured a way around it was just a blessing (like, let's say... as an example of tyranny and the following respite from it, the freeing of the slaves). And then you got them immediately trying to change it back (like let's say, the Jim Crow laws).

So there you have it. I could make a Hitler comparison, but I don't want to end the thread.

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
why not just offer some decent ringtone downloads at $0.99 that are NOT songs? (I find song ringtone to be very very annoying)

I don't have an iPhone and I don't plan to get one even after that huge price cut (however I am getting an iPod touch) but this ring tone business is just totally absurd!

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
why not just offer some decent ringtone downloads at $0.99 that are NOT songs? (I find song ringtone to be very very annoying)

I don't have an iPhone and I don't plan to get one even after that huge price cut (however I am getting an iPod touch) but this ring tone business is just totally absurd!

what is absurd is paying for the song twice just to be able to get a ringtone. It would be different if you just payed for the one time fee of .99 instead. A bit confused how the free ringtones are still so easilly possible.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
...I could make a Hitler comparison, but I don't want to end the thread.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic at all here when I say this but could you please make the Hitler comparison for me? I honestly want to hear what you would have to say about this. You have peaked my curriosity as to how we go from talking about a company charging .99 to 1.98 for a ringtone, when most companies are charging far more than that, to Hitler. Was Hitler price gauging and trying to rip off the gestopo by charging them way more than they should have been paying for their SS arm bands? And please don't go into how Apple is charging way too much for ringtones etc... We have all heard this already. I want to hear your hitorical perspective on Hitler and Apple.

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
what is absurd is paying for the song twice just to be able to get a ringtone. It would be different if you just payed for the one time fee of .99 instead. A bit confused how the free ringtones are still so easilly possible.

I agree, the raw material is yours (the song you bought off the iTunes), you are the one who is putting time and energy to make that ringtone (the 30 second clip) still you pay Apple for .. umm .. song royalties? to pay for the contracts Apple signed with music labels?

alright .. then why not just cut the labels out? let people make ringtones out of their 'own' sound files or the royalty free ones downloaded from the internet this way there won't be no music labels no royalties?
the DRM'd songs cost you $0.99 to make ringtone bring your own and thats free .. how difficult is that?

absurd.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
It is not about "Hitlerian" Apple policies, it is about the intentional hobbling of software and hardware. The crazy thing is that competitor phones can play just about any sound file as a ringtone. It seems strange that Apple appears so willing to trample users particularly after Steve's "heartfelt" appology. I am very frustrated with Apple's hard headed and ignorant approach to the iPhone.

vertgo

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2006
I'm not trying to be sarcastic at all here when I say this but could you please make the Hitler comparison for me? I honestly want to hear what you would have to say about this. You have peaked my curriosity as to how we go from talking about a company charging .99 to 1.98 for a ringtone, when most companies are charging far more than that, to Hitler. Was Hitler price gauging and trying to rip off the gestopo by charging them way more than they should have been paying for their SS arm bands? And please don't go into how Apple is charging way too much for ringtones etc... We have all heard this already. I want to hear your hitorical perspective on Hitler and Apple.

Hey guy, I was just satirizing my reference to slavery as an unnecessary hyperbole, and the Hitler comment was a reference to Godwin's Law.

I'm glad I piqued your curiousity.

ninethirty

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
This did not work for me... I had to create the ringtones folder you talk about below, but I see nothing when I look in the ringtones tab.

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
Hey... just rename the files in your ringtone folder BACK to .m4a. Double-click on them, and they will be imported the next time your iPhone syncs. :)

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Actually, it's a horrible thing to do to make you pay $1.98 to play a 30 second clip of a song you already bought on CD when a friend of yours calls, on hardware you bought for $600.

The fact that people figured a way around it was just a blessing (like, let's say... as an example of tyranny and the following respite from it, the freeing of the slaves). And then you got them immediately trying to change it back (like let's say, the Jim Crow laws).

So there you have it. I could make a Hitler comparison, but I don't want to end the thread.

Dude get a freaking clue. To compare a business charging for a product to human suffering is moronic. Period.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
I was all "yay album ratings finally"

but they suck.

album rating should not be an average rating of the songs i have rated. it should ad or subtract weight to the ratings i have given. a 4 rated song on a 4 rated album should be a little less played than a 4 rated song ona 5 rated album..or am i alone in this?

i just thik it is stupid that rating an album rates the songs i havent rated yet...thereby making album rating something i will avoid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.