Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Maybe they'll fix the stupid bug in iTunes for XP, where you close out iTunes, it'll crash out, then start back up again. -_-

Oh, gosh, that is so easy to fix. Just reformat the drive, reinstall Windows, download a new copy of iTunes then re-import all your music. Any half-way knowable Windows user knows that this is just "normal monthly maintenance".

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Full Screen functionality

iTunes needs to be fixed.

Full Screen mode does not stay persistent when you navigate away. If you set iTunes up in Full Screen mode with it's own desktop in Spaces, for example, and then switch spaces, when you return, iTunes has defaulted back to GUI mode. This is really annoying and very short sighted of Apple.

The other big problem with iTunes is that CoverFlow does not function like it does on the iPhone or iPod Touch. iTunes on the Mac lets you see the album art and select only the first song if you click it. Apple needs to add the ability to flip the album cover around so you can choose the song you want.

Until they do these two things iTunes full screen CoverFlow sucks.

Goldcard

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
St. Paul, MN
I'm not upgrading from iTunes 7.2 until they make sorting sane again.

Symbols come before numbers which come before letters. This 'gold standard' of alphanumeric sorting has been used for ages -- even the good old Dewey Decimal system recognizes this.

In iTunes 7.3, Apple decided -- against all conventions -- that it was a good idea to put symbols and numbers after letters when sorting tracks in the library window. I was certain at first that this was a bug, but numerous releases later the behavior is remains the same. This drives me nuts, and I refuse to adapt.

i personally like having letters first. it looks more organized when you open up itunes and don't see a bunch of $(%*@ right away. just my opinion. You could just click the song name tab at the top and reverse sort the whole column. not that hard.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
Hopefully we should see Time Machine compatibility and the window will look like a Leopard window instead of a Tiger window.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
Maybe Apple doesn't want to overlap Front Row functionality...

That's an interesting point, but it seems that FrontRow is languishing along with the AppleTV. Apple has not updated these interfaces since their introduction. I personally think the whole FrontRow/AppleTV thing is going no where because Apple can't sign deals for HD media content. Regardless, Apple has shown what it can do with CoverFlow and Core Animation on the iPhone, why they are not adding this to iTunes on the Mac is perplexing.

Retired
May 16, 2006
That's an interesting point, but it seems that FrontRow is languishing along with the AppleTV. Apple has not updated these interfaces since their introduction. I personally think the whole FrontRow/AppleTV thing is going no where because Apple can't sign deals for HD media content. Regardless, Apple has shown what it can do with CoverFlow and Core Animation on the iPhone, why they are not adding this to iTunes on the Mac is perplexing.

Maybe they're too busy making a touch screen media interface...

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
scale able scroll bars like in logic studio?

40mbuk7.png

Retired
May 16, 2006
I want the ability to rate albums as a whole and not just individual songs. :rolleyes:

gB

That came in the last update, just go into the middle view option, and there are rating stars under each album

I wish I could take it away, they're so ugly IMO

lcdbot27

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2007
There's a bug I've experienced with Leopard that causes iTunes to take a long amount of time to start up if an iPod Shuffle is plugged in. I know a few other people who've had the same issue, so it's not just my system. Hopefully it gets fixed.

davak

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Perfectly stated.

1. Allow users to add the "Explicit" tag to songs already in their iTunes library.

2. Better management for iTunes library for multiple users in household. Purchased content should be available to every user, but libraries should be unique. Eliminate chance of duplicate purchases even if multiple accounts in household.

3. Give us the option to select more than one genre per song. A Soundtrack is also going to be a certain type of music. Holiday (Christmas, Halloween, etc) and Disney (Children's) are also too general. I hate manually adding "keywords" to the comments section.

grizzlybrice

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2005
Playa Del Rey, CA
Interesting, I didn't notice that, empty stars? Hmm. Not sure I like that or not, but at least its there... and they can build off it.

That came in the last update, just go into the middle view option, and there are rating stars under each album

I wish I could take it away, they're so ugly IMO

rockosmodurnlif

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2007
New York, NY
Still no FLAC support (not that I was expecting it).

Isn't that what Apple Lossless is for?

And I'm with everyone with wanting to split the movies to a different folder.

I do like the song in more than one album idea but it's not that important. Against a "tag" option. There's a comments section and a grouping section. What do you need tags for if you have a grouping section?

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
When they get around to fixing iTunes to better handle classical and jazz then you will have what you ask for. Or when they solve your problem classical and jaz fans will have what they want.

Classical and jaz genres are the most likely to have large numbers of duplicates. The same composition might by played many times by different performers

Yes I know and agree. I listen to literally evertything and have a tons of Coltrane, Miles and other jazz box sets loaded in with several or more takes of the same song but all quite different. I want a series of boxes or something I can check off. Maybe start with title, then length, year and so on.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I want Time Machine support in 7.5

Great idea. I would love that.

I think what I am really hoping for is speed and tons of bug fixes. Apple needs to take a breath and get their quality up. (Hardware and software, across the board.)

On that note, and related to music, I really hope we see a serious and major update to the latest iPod software. I own all three of the new models and each of them are buggy as sin...

Maccus Aurelius

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
How about the ability to change the name of your content libraries again? On older versions of iTunes, I was able to change the name from Music to Trax, or Rob's Muzak, and my movies to Flicks, but now it's stuck on Music and Movies and so on.

Redirecting from the Movies folder would be nice as well, but since I only ever really access movies through iTunes, I guess it's not too big a deal for me, but iTunes has a pretty nutty network of its own folders caught under the iTunes folder, at least on OS X. In Windows, it just takes it from wherever and leaves it there (which is why if you so much as move it to a different location, it's suddenly lost). But yeah, let me rename my stuff again, and I'll be happy as a pig in...you know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.