itunes 7 and a network drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tomat, Sep 20, 2006.

1. tomat macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2006
    Hi all, i'm brand new to the world of macs having bought a macbook last week so you'll have to excuse me if i'm being dense about something. I have on my home network an NAS drive with my entire cd collection ripped to it (about 40GB's) which are accessed by a number of pc's around the house.

I can see and access this networked directory in osX but I can't seem to work out how to get itunes to recognise it and build library details without it trying to import the whole lot onto my laptops harddrive. Is these some way I can use itunes to browse my networked music without hauling the whole lot onto my laptop?
  2. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Turn off "Keep Music Folder Organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" in Preferences -> Advanced and you should be set to go.

You'll get exclamation points when your notebook can't see the NAS drive though...

3. esaleris macrumors 6502

Oct 18, 2005
    There is a slightly better way. Alias the networked drive in the Music/iTunes Music folder. That way, you can have iTunes manage your library and any new import made while disconnected can be easily put in place when you Consolidate Library.
  4. tomat thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2006
    Cheers for that, much apreciated. Is there no way to have the OS mount the network drive on bootup? Coming from a windows background I would have simply mapped the network folder so itunes saw it as a local drive but i'm not sure what the osx equivalent is.