iTunes 7 and Podcasts on iPod... suck?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Stike, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Hi folks, I have a big problem here, and I am even usually not complaining much about Apples "improvements" on some details of their software, but here we go:

I connect my iPod to the Mac, and want to listen to a selected array of Podcasts that I havent heard yet. What to do of course? Copy the files over to the iPod and create a playlist with them...

Problem is: The files get copied, but they dont appear in the iTunes 7 "Music" list! Where are they now??

Since I turned on automatic syncing of Podcasts (with the hope to find a solution) I have actually now a "Podcasts" item in my iPod list, right under "Music". But the Podcasts I copy to the iPod dont appear in that list!

They are still invisible! Any idea? :(

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Video podcasts are found under the Video section of the iPod iirc. Look around, I'm sure they are there as my dad had the same problem he was just looking in the wrong place.

3. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

If they're Video Podcasts they're under video, but, yes - it's a mess :eek:

4. Stike thread starter macrumors 65816

Stike

FYI, I have a first generation iPod, no video whatsoever ;)

And of course I am talking about audio-podcasts :)

But the files are still invisible, I dont know where to find them. I really hoped they would be in the normal "music" listing, but no... :(

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The mini, 4G, 5G and nano have a "Podcasts" listing under music (in the iPod's OS that is, not on iTunes), everything else gets a "Podcasts" entry in the playlists. That is where your podcasts are, if you have a 1G iPod (with physically moving scroll wheel and four buttons around the wheel) you go Browse -> Music -> Playlists -> Podcasts

7. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

iTunes 7 changed a few things. It used to be absolutely everything was listed under the 'library.' Now the library is gone, replaced by a heading with 5 sub-categories as below. So all your podcasts should now be in the podcast section and nowhere else. Can you see the following on the left hand side of iTunes?;

Library (title only)
    Music
    Movies
    TV Shows
    Podcasts <---
    Radio

Store (title only)
    iTunes Store
    Purchased

Playlists (title only)
    (your playlists here.)

8. Stike thread starter macrumors 65816

Stike

Thanks for the advice... I am checking that out now.
    *checks*
    Amazing. There is a podcast playlist, BUT it contains only those podcasts that got synced to the iPod by iTunes!

The manually copied files are still in limbo or somewhere... :eek:

Edit:
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, there is the "Podcasts" item, but as I said, it contains ONLY the automatically synced files, not the manually copied ones. Same situation as on the iPod.

9. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

Ah.. follow you now...
    I had the same problem. I manually downloaded a few podcasts from a website (rather than using the RSS or iTunes subscription) and it refused to copy them to my iPod because it didn't like the format.

I had to convert them using Quicktime or MPEG Streamclip into an MP3 file and treat it like a music file.

iTunes should give you a warning when it can't totally sinc the iPod, unless you have ticked the box 'don't tell me about this again.' Anybody know how to reset this check box?

10. Bedawyn macrumors regular

Does your podcast playlist not show up on the iPod anywhere? It should be under the "Playlists" menu. Have you told iTunes to sync that particular playlist?

11. Stike thread starter macrumors 65816

Stike

As I said, the manually copied files are nowhere to be found, but the automatically synced files are there - but that list is not complete.

It would be best if you JUST COULD DRAG your podcasts into this podcast list!

12. jigordon macrumors newbie

Possible podcast workaround if you don't want autosync

Well, I have now experienced the same problems as everyone else. Here's what I had to do to get to see them.

First, within iTunes, create new playlists under your iPod for podcasts. Personally, I've created a playlist for each podcaster.

Second, download the podcasts you want via iTunes.

Third, once they're downloaded to your computer, select and drag them over to your iPod, but DIRECTLY to the playlist(s) you've created for those particular podcasts.

You should now be able to select those playlists and actually SEE the iPod podcasts. You can delete them off your HD now.

If you've transferred a bunch of podcasts to your iPod, but can't see them (which is what happened to me), simply do the above list again. Once you've put an identically named podcast into the playlist, you'll notice that your space available doesn't change on your iPod, but you've unwittingly associated that particular podcast with that playlist (which can show podcasts and not just music).

Good luck!