iTunes 7 and subtitles

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Machead III, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Machead III macrumors 6502

Machead III

Can iTunes 7 display .srt, .sub etc. subtitle files that are used as standard on DVDs and video files throughout the world? Or do they have to be burnt onto the video with QT or Handbrake?

2. A.Fairhead macrumors member

My only guess would be that if subtitled viewing is to be something they want to pursue, they'll make multiple releases of each film to cater for each release..

Subtitles aren't something that bother me too much, and to guess a figure, I'd say only about 20-30% of video-heads would 'need' subtitles …

Time will tell :D

3. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

Machead III

What about the huge percentage of people around the world that live in countries where they do not speak the native tongue as a first language? Would Apple sell individually subtitled videos for each language?

I was afraid of this; Apple failing to grasp that cinema is an entirely new medium, which different needs. Every cinema-lover worth his/her salt enjoys the occasional or perhaps frequent foreign film. What about the hard-of-hearing? What about blockbusters like Spirited Away or House of Flying Daggers that are watched the world over but are only half the film when dubbed.

Almost every consumer DVD contains at least 1 subtitle track.

I cannot believe Apple would be so.... well, it has to be said, idiotic, to forget this. It defies belief. It's like making a browser and forgetting to add bookmarks.

4. A.Fairhead macrumors member

The same as how iTunes doesn't provide the lyrics book like the physical one does … ?

They're offering native films at the moment. As for the future, who knows.

5. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

Machead III

Lyrics are not critical to the enjoyment of a film, for an immense number of people, a given film is useless without subtitles.

And what about films people import or obtain by other means but want to store/play them via. iTunes?

I'm assuming I've overlooked some check box or other, something glaringly obvious, because not allowing playback of subtitles is just universe-implodingly stupid.

In fact... is it even possible to play subtitle on Front Row if the vid isn't on a DVD and there's an option to turn them on in the DVD's menu?

Surely.... there must be.... someone, please, don't tell me they've actually missed that too...

6. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

As a hearing impaired user, I have been wanting Apple to get subtitles on iTunes TV Shows and movies for a long time. I'm still disappointed that they didn't with this update.

Come on, Apple. There are LOTS of deaf/Hard of hearing people that will ONLY buy movies if they are subtitled.

7. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

Machead III

This defies belief. They don't even have to create subtitles, all they need to do is allow iTunes to playback subtitle files that are present on virtually every single retail DVD in existance?

Only 5 responses...

8. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Yeah, and this is from a company that lists improved Universal access/speech synthesis as a major feature for Leopard. Shame...

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Didn't you all get the memo at the Leopard preview?

The next major version of QT (8 I presume) will support subtitles in H.264 files. I expect QT8 to ship at the same time as iLife 07, and/or Leopard.

I too usually have closed captions on, even though my hearing is fine. My kids just love talking over the TV and yet expecting us to have heard all the dialogue. :p

B