iTunes 7 crashes upon connecting my iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jofarmer, Sep 20, 2006.

1. jofarmer macrumors member

can anyone help me? Here is what i did:

I downloaded iTunes 7 and Quicktime via Software Update.

Everytime I plugin my iPod now, iTunes gets fired up but crashes as soon as it tries to mount the iPod.

I reinstalled iTunes 7.
    I restored my iPod (3.1.1 4th generation 20GB).
    I deleted all plugins.
    I deleted all plists (in /Library as well as in ~/Library).

What else can I do? Needless to say, now that my iPod is restored, there's no music on it, and with this odd behaviour of iTunes this is not likely to change soon :(

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe use Disk Utility to verify and maybe repair your iPod's hard drive. :)

3. jofarmer thread starter macrumors member

Right. Did that and found nothing :(

Everybody seems to have issues with iTunes 7, am I the only one with that specific problem?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you use a different user account, does it crash that too? :)

5. jofarmer thread starter macrumors member

NO?! It doesnt't.

Strange. As the new user iTunes asked me for a name for it and everything was easy-peasy.
    When i canged back into my account, iTunes told me, my iPod was used by another user. So i switched back again, quit iTunes, switched to my main account and poof! iTunes chrashed again.

What can i do?

6. Frisco macrumors 68020

7. bigballinchatta macrumors newbie

I just got a brand new nano (2G 8 gb) and had the same problem with itunes 7 in windows xp. The first day i had it i used up my one phone call because everytime i plugged it in itunes would freeze. Do you have a windows or a mac? I had to disable some services in msconfig...services that were apparently blocking the ipod. Apple told me that it was my fault that my computer had other programs on it that were interfering, not their fault that they couldn't write a program for windows that can work around other windows programs. I don't have any excess programs on my computer, it's only 4 months old, and it meets all of Apple's system requiremenets. I was pissed to waste my warranty the first day, but at least I live 10 minutes from an applpe store so if anything else goes wrong I'll just take it there. Anyways, my 4G synced fine with itunes 6, but itunes 7 was having a problem with it too (till I messed with MSCONFIG).

8. jofarmer thread starter macrumors member

Well thank you! After deleting my complete ~/Library/Preferences folder (without any positive effect, and of course after doing a backup), dragging ~/Library/Application Support, Cashes and PreferencePanes to the Desktop did the trick.

Now I have music on my iPod again :) - and a lot of files and folders to go through to find the foe :cool: