iTunes 7 crashes while importing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by c23roo, Oct 21, 2006.

1. c23roo macrumors regular

I've searched the forums and found a bunch of complaints related to iTunes 7 crashing during song playback, but mine just started acting up today when I tried to import a couple new CDs I bought.

I've been having trouble with my Superdrive (not being able to burn DVDs - just CDs) - still working on trying to fix that...

So the question is, is this likely to be an iTunes 7 problem (i.e. are others having this same problem?) or might it be simply my Superdrive?

By the way, I lost count of the number of times it crashed - over 10 times during my importing 4 CDs. No 3rd party apps. PM G5 quad, 2.5 RAM.

-c

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

what cds?
    I had trouble importing some CDs and burning a few mixs. But when i tried importing it on my powerbook it worked fine... :confused:
    So it not just you!

3. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

what cd's?

pretty random bunch of discs (out of the bargain/used bin - all 4 for 10 bucks!) - tristan prettyman, g. love, springsteen, and colin hay.

haven't tried burning anything since then - that's worked just fine so far. plus, i've never had trouble playing music as others have cited...

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try opening up a new user account and seeing if it works properly (importing and not crashing) from there. :)

5. jhall3rd macrumors newbie

Same thing!

.. yup -- itunes 7 has somehow disabled my dvd burner (!) -- cd works fine.
    Constant crashes of itunes -- whenever the ipod is attached. Insane. I have no idea how to recover from this. I will try to revert to ver 6 and pray. Cannot believe how this has affected the DVD burner at all ... but i am seeing several posts now reporting this issue. APPLE PLEASE !!!

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

iTunes has ALWAYS crashed when importing a scratched or otherwise damaged disk. The cancel button becomes a useless placebo device and you have to shut the program down or reboot the computer. I've written to Apple about this, but it evidently hasn't been dealt with yet. Anyone from Apple reading this? Prompt the user that there's an error reading the disk and ask whether they want to skip the song or eject the disk.

7. c23roo thread starter macrumors regular

iTunes 7 messing with DVD burning?

Is it possible that the software could interefere with the ability to burn DVDs?

I have been having trouble burning to DVD (burns CDs just fine) from iPhoto. However, I thought this problem predated my iTunes update. Probably just true, true, and unrelated issues.

They were brand new discs by the way - from the ole bargain bin. Unopened - not old, used cd's - just to rule out a problem on the CD end.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

c23roo, maybe try a different brand of DVD. Macs can be temperamental about the brands they associate with. :eek:

9. jordansampson macrumors member

mine is crashign as well... even when im doing nothing at all. i can be reading a book with music on in the background and boom "unexpected shutdown" ... it happens pretty much ever 3 or 4 min.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

jordansampson, if you're getting unexpected shut downs of the entire system then you're problem probably lies deeper than just iTunes. Are you getting kernel panics?