Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I think the iTunes 7 theme is dark and unappealing. It just doesn't smile with its usual brilliance :(

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
+ The new Play/Rewind/FastForward buttons. Very nice
+ The colour of the scroll bar.
+ The colour of a selected field to sort by (real nice blue)

- The *texture* of the scroll bar
- All the SHOUTING in the Source. Thankfully its easy to change it back to lower case
- The change from green to blue in the icon
-Two toned selection highlight in the source pane
- Those flat, pencil drawing-like icons at the bottom of the app window. Yuck

It appears Apples design in OSX UI is taking the trend of their industrial hardware. The iMac with its transparent colours was groundbreaking at the time, as was Aqua and the lickable interface. But over the years Ive et al have shifted from the lickability of the old iMac to the more subtle, clean design hues of the PowerBook, iMac G4/5, Mac Mini and iBook/MacBook. On the whole, everybody thinks the newer ethos in hardware design from Apple is nothing but a success. The MacBook Pro looks eons better than the flashy light LED aplenty affairs of competitor notebooks.

But it appears to be the reverse in the OS... people seem to prefer the Aero Glass look. I can see why in some cases. Safari for instance is dull as dishwater when you have a tab menu and bookmark menu in your toolbar. Bordering disgusting.

But to me, Apple needs to find a mid ground in this area. I see apps like Podcast Maker which have quite drab hues mixed with subtle uses of colour and gradient and it looks superb.

ss3.jpg

Its definitely an interesting ara of debate. One thing that worries me is that people are generally always envious of my Mac and OSX. They are wowed by touches like the genie effect, Exposé, the Aqua interface etc. But these same people are more wowed now by Vista. I cant see Steve Jobs ever accepting defeat in a pure "gorgeous" contest (aside from UI issues) by Microsoft, but the general trend of Apple apps seems to suggest a marked return to the platinum days. Great for sentimental value, but the grey is incredibly drab.

Fotek2001

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
London, England
I get the feeling that this change in the UI has something to do with the forthcoming change to a resolution independent UI in Leopard. All the new UI elements and controls like the scroll bars will be easier to do using vectors than aqua currently is.

I can see the potential for Apple bringing back some options for colour hinting like the options for different coloured scrollbars in Mac OS 9.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
Aqua was great while it lasted, it was fresh, new, and young, it's still fun even today. But with the imminent release of vista, and its semi-ripoff of certain parts of aqua (like the Bubbly Blue color!) Apple has to move on and stay ahead of the game.

Personally I really like the fake 10.5 screenshot taht came out just before WWDC 06 with a picture of steve jobs kinda displayed on the background. In this screenshot it used the "Black" type theme that's seen in iPhoto in the editing panel for pictures and in other places around OS X. If you notice, Time Machine also uses a black type look.

Leopardtime.jpg

flinstone

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2005
Amsterdam
I am a Mac user for over fifteen years now and i think it looks reeeaaally.

UGLY!!!!

And the icon than??? Is this for the Windows XP users or so?
Design for me is very important and so makes me happy if it's good.
But... Also makes me very unhappy when it stinks!

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
stunna said:
why doesn't apple just allow different themes. I bet they do in leopard.

They already do; system preferences --> appearances has two flavors (aqua and graphite) to choose from, but the problem is, the appearances offer very limited function.

I think this is finally THE version that Apple unifies the look and feel of all applications. Choosing "graphite" from the appearance menu should do more than just change scroll bar color. They now have at least four usable themes; Aqua blue (10.0 and 10.1), Brushed metal (10.2 and 10.3), Plastic white (10.4 and 10.5) and this new "Something" black that they seem to be pushing to pro apps and 10.5 ---- and IMHO they should be able to force applications to follow the chosen appearance as they do with the buttons and scroll bar.

They must not be thinking 3rd party theme developers this much, must they? :p

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
JFreak said:
They already do; system preferences --> appearances has two flavors (aqua and graphite) to choose from, but the problem is, the appearances offer very limited function.

I think this is finally THE version that Apple unifies the look and feel of all applications. Choosing "graphite" from the appearance menu should do more than just change scroll bar color. They now have at least four usable themes; Aqua blue (10.0 and 10.1), Brushed metal (10.2 and 10.3), Plastic white (10.4 and 10.5) and this new "Something" black that they seem to be pushing to pro apps and 10.5 ---- and IMHO they should be able to force applications to follow the chosen appearance as they do with the buttons and scroll bar.

They must not be thinking 3rd party theme developers this much, must they? :p

I think they should keep aqua, white, black, gun metal etc as options, as themes for the new os, that way, everyone is happy, and nothing looks tacky and everything matches!

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Donz0r said:
Aqua was great while it lasted, it was fresh, new, and young, it's still fun even today. But with the imminent release of vista, and its semi-ripoff of certain parts of aqua (like the Bubbly Blue color!) Apple has to move on and stay ahead of the game.

Well score one for Microsoft if they're able to influence Apple to change their UI, and it turns out for the worse.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
How much longer can it be before some sort of UI App (iUI?) is released that gives you some basic UI templates and lets you easily change things (in the same way that iWeb made it easy to get pretty nice websites up and running with little effort)?

Seriously, in 10 years time we'll all have our own customised UIs in the same way that we can easily use our own icons today. Being forced into using the same UI will be like being forced to stick with the Aqua default background or screensaver.

But that's the future.

For Leopard, i expect to see some choice on the UI. I'd like to be able to swap between "bubbly blue" and "pro, shiny black" styles, for example. I don't mind iTunes 7, but i don't want to have to change a UI that works fine for me as it is right now.

My 2 cents.

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
JFreak said:
this new "Something" black that they seem to be pushing to pro apps and 10.5

Some folks have made the comparison to the pro app look but I'm not biting. I wish iT7 looked as good as the pro apps, but it has none of the polish. iT7 (primarily all of the UI buttons and controls) just looks dark, dank, muddy and unappealing - especially the scroll bars and buttons.

And the big play and forward/reverse buttons look like a work in progress that's waiting for mostly...well, progress. And lots of it. It looks like something you might expect from a vintage ten year-old app on a machine with less-than-stellar graphics capabilities. In other words, it's Windows 2000-worthy.

Well if it's vintage you want...Ladies and Gentleman and Mac fans the world over, look in amazement and awe at this exclusive sneak peak of the Quicktime 8 UI:

qt4j2.jpg

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Yeh, iTunes 7 is ugly.

Personally, I think that everything is currently a 'placeholder' for the new Leopard design (which I believe to be one of the top secret features Steve spoke about).

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Killyp said:
Yeh, iTunes 7 is ugly.

Personally, I think that everything is currently a 'placeholder' for the new Leopard design (which I believe to be one of the top secret features Steve spoke about).

I can only agree. I mean, this is Steve we are talking about. Id be astounded if he agreed to this being the UI for Leopard. Particularly those hideous buttons at the bottom of the Source menu (add, shuffle, repeat, browse etc).

He must know that Vista will get the wow factor pretty easily from the casual observer if things arent made to look more aesthetically pleasing. And that would represent a major about turn from OSX / XP. All I have to do is show Aqua to friends to get some of them to switch. It just wouldnt happen based on iTunes.

Roll on MacWorld. I can only wait and pray! lol.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
Killyp said:
Yeh, iTunes 7 is ugly.

While I wouldt say iTunes 7 is ugly (to me the differences between it and 6 are small-atleast in the looks department anyway), I really really really want Leopard to kick Vista right were it hurts-in the GUI. Where the WOW factor is. I've used Vista Pre-RC1, and it looks far better than OS X unfortunatley.

FACT

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2006
I'm very disappointed in the new itunes 7 look and hope to god that leopard doesn't look like it. It seems like those at apple have a good eye for style so hopefully they won't do something stupid

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
Someone made mockups of the Finder and iPhoto based on the iTunes 7 GUI.

Personally, I don't mind the new iTunes 7 look. I like the smooth grey-dark-blue look. And I think people's comparison to Luna/Winows XP is unfounded. It's not like ficher-price. It's smooth.

Anyways, I bet the reason for changing the UI will be somewhat technical. They might change Leopard's GUI to be completely vectorized, and if they do that, Aqua would be time-consumming to re-create in a vector format.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
shrimpdesign said:
They might change Leopard's GUI to be completely vectorized, and if they do that, Aqua would be time-consumming to re-create in a vector format.

Not really, OS X is already resolution independent without creating a totally new GUI:

http://leopardthoughts.livejournal.com/758.html

Besides, Preview in Leopard matches Mail. Why introduce a new UI for the app if you're going to replace it with iTune's look? I think the most we can hope for in Leopard is the elimination of Metal in more apps than just iChat.

Cool mockups, though.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
shrimpdesign said:
Someone made mockups of the Finder and iPhoto based on the iTunes 7 GUI.

Personally, I don't mind the new iTunes 7 look. I like the smooth grey-dark-blue look. And I think people's comparison to Luna/Winows XP is unfounded. It's not like ficher-price. It's smooth.

Anyways, I bet the reason for changing the UI will be somewhat technical. They might change Leopard's GUI to be completely vectorized, and if they do that, Aqua would be time-consumming to re-create in a vector format.

Interesting. It doesn't look as great as I thought it would. But I still like it, and either way I don't care if we stick with aqua or move onto the iTunes 7 interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.