Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
spicyapple said:
iTunes 7 is the best upgrade, EVER. (in the history of iTunes upgrades)

Agreed. It makes all the previous version look like crap. I've had no problems with it, either.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
I like iTunes 7, though some of the features are useless. I almost never download .0 apps, but I was impressed by many of the features of this update so I downloaded.

Only A couple complaints here. It is SLOOOOOWWW on slow computers. 6 was fine on my old-school iMac now I have to wait for it to load the library when I open it. The cover scroll view is useless on slow computers too, because it doesn't load the covers until you've already scrolled through.

Also the get cover art feature could definitely stand some improvement. I don't know what kind of algorithms they use or what, but a number of the covers have been wrong and a good portion of my library does not have covers. How hard would it have been for them to hook into someone like Amazon, similar what Delicious Library does?

Oh and contrary to most people here, I actually like the new look, though I think a black aqua scroll bar would have been better than the weird blueish thing.

Pyrix

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2003
UK
I'm also having a lot of trouble with iTunes 7.

If the volume control is on anything other than full, the music is horrendously distorted.

I can't use crossfade playback any more because the music skips if i change to a window other than iTunes.

Occasionally iTunes just dissapears, and the rest of the running programmes just lock up. Task Manager shows that iTunes is still running, and is using 96-100% of the CPU and so I have to kill it. Sometimes I can't open iTunes again without it happening again until I completely restart my PC.

Feature wise, iTunes 7 is leaps and bounds ahead of 6, but it's just so damned buggy at the moment that I keep thinking about switching to winamp again until an update is released.

Come on Apple, shoot your alpha testers and get a patch out.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
mad jew said:
That's the first I've heard of it. I really think Apple makes iTunes. :eek:

Yeah, I just wish they would make a version for Macs. Although meh, what are you going to do with iTunes on a computer that can't even get on the internet?

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
dynamicv said:
iTunes 7 on my iMac G5 crashes about 50% of the time I use it, always when moving between songs. The songs on my iMac are stored in my user home drive (FileVault not enabled), so it's not like a non-standard setup. However, on my PBG4 where the songs are stored in a shared area of the HD iTunes is stable as ever.

I've also noticed that ripping CDs on the iMac is now only about a quarter of the speed it used to be, although I'm told that's a QuickTime problem. There's definitely something not right with the software, but it's not a consistent bug.

Same here!! Mine likes to crash when I plug my iPod in. If the iPod is unplugged and i launch itunes all is well and good but as soon as i put that iPod in it hangs and hangs and hangs. I get the never ending beach ball.

Really annoying. While i am not a huge fan of the look i can deal with it (and skin it) but i just wish the **** thing would stop crashing on me.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Is the get albm art feature new? i thought it was available from WMP 11 initially. Oh wait WMP...lol. My bad.

Im sorry but the new iTunes 7 interface was too dark and looked gloomy. Not cool.

You guys having issues should really try re-installing and repair your permissions before and after. This helped/helps a great deal when installing any software.

puttputt

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Michigan
I am very pleased, happy, elated, and full of cheer about iTunes 7.0

Runs with no problems running on PBG4, OS X v 10.3.9

Could I possibly be happier with it? I don't think so.

Swarmlord

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Only one problem I've seen

Xenesis said:
I haven't had any problems with iTunes 7 on my G3 500 iMac, apart from the fact that the git literally devours system resources. Of course, that might just be Quicktime 7, but it's certainly hurting Safari. :(

And while I don't hate the GUI, it certainly looked happier, for lack of a better word in iTunes 6.

The only problem I've had with the product is it's inability to recover from ripping a scratched or otherwise damaged CD. The cancel button becomes a placebo device at that point and only a forced close of the program from the Finder menu will recover. I've even let it run overnight to see if the timeout period was just longer than my patience, but the program just grinds on the disk as long as power is applied.

If Apple would correct that little coding shortcoming, the program would meet all my needs.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
On my G5 w/10.3.9 I can't do multiple searches of the iTMS. After the first search the searchbox doesn't get focus again, so I have to quit and relaunch to search again.

Also on the same machine, I have to click in views before I can use the scroll wheel/ball, whereas elsewhere (and in iTunes 6) I just had to "mouse-over".

It's also considerably more sluggish when scrolling through a list of music, much more so than 6.

(I'm also not a fan of the new bland application UI controls, but that's subjective I guess. I do wish Apple would pick ONE control style and stick with it though, and not mix-and-match styles in the same app).

Pyrix

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2003
UK
Pyrix said:
I'm also having a lot of trouble with iTunes 7...

Just remembered another problem - the scroll wheel no longer works if iTunes is on a secondary monitor (windows).

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Hmmm...

Pyrix said:
Just remembered another problem - the scroll wheel no longer works if iTunes is on a secondary monitor (windows).

Wow, sucks to have a crappy OS. I wonder what the percentage of Windows iTunes users with problems vs. Mac iTunes users with problems is?

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
It eats memory if I use the album cover browser a lot. But I don't; I've better things to do than browse album covers (I'm well past my teens)

Other than that, I think iTunes 7 is A.O.K.

I run it on a ppc mini mac.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
daneoni said:
You guys having issues should really try re-installing and repair your permissions before and after. This helped/helps a great deal when installing any software.

Good thing to mention...it's true.

I've had nothing but great experiences with iT7 on a 1.8 G5 and two XP boxes at home. No crashes, no playback issues, nothing out of the ordinary whatsoever.

Pyrix said:

I'm running dual 21" monitors on my XP desktop and I don't have this problem.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
freebooter said:
It eats memory if I use the album cover browser a lot. But I don't; I've better things to do than browse album covers (I'm well past my teens)
What has browsing album covers have to do with age...? If anything it should be even more familiar to people growing up with vinyl albums, and I would guess most people in their teens don't have very many vinyl albums... :rolleyes:

I'm 36 and I love and use the feature...

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
mishi said:
the whole skipping thing seems to be confined to PCs, but there are still many bugs on the mac.

what i mean by *skipping* is the song will skip foward about half a second at very small intervals so you get the effect of the song playing very fast but with no pitch alteration

sounds really stupid

Oddly enough, my Nano started doing that very same thing this past week.. It has not been hooked up to the comp since I did the iTunes 7 upgrade though. I charged it up using my DC adapter, and now it's working fine, for the moment.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Running Shake, After Effects, Final Cut Pro and iTunes at the same time I don't seem to have trouble :rolleyes:

for stuff while i'm compositing or whatever it's good (unless there's sound on what i'm editing :rolleyes: ). even when all four cores are running 100% during rendering, it doesn't skip.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
Aside from making my G4 MMD DP and Raedeon 9800 show their age iTunes 7 is just fine. I love the use of album art. When will Apple fix it so that lyrics start to scroll with the music. Follow the bouncing Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.